Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dirk is pretty obvious. What role player do the mavs need to step it up and who will step it up?

I think Marquis will be big again for the Mavs and so will Josh Howard.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Marquis will be the man!! Anyone remember what he did last year, he looked like the only Mav who really wanted to beat the Kings. He just needs to get the time and with Stack, Fin and JHo he may not see all theat much time, but I hope AJ starts him IMO. He can drive an get into the paint and cause a lot of havoc and put some points on the board.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I also think that it will be Marquis Daniels, cause it seems because he is young, he has more energy than the others!

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
It's got to be Marquis, he stepped up last year against Sacramento when most other players really sucked it up. He was on something like 16/6/3/2 which really helped our cause

Josh needs to step up the most IMO, he had a poor playoff series last year but that was as a rookie kid off the bench. He's evolved to one of the most important players on our team, and his D will be greatly needed. I don't mind if he doesn't produce offensively, as we have many others to do that for him. But in an NBA were DEFENSE DOES win championships, Josh will need to step it up for us to have any chance.

Also, if Josh wants to be known as a serious player in this league he'll need to have a big playoffs....looko at what the Playoff hype did for Tayshaun Prince -- surely it boosted his confidence aswell

We'll also need Jerry Stackhouse to be a team player and not run his isolations all the time and get the team cold

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Believe it or not, I believe that it has to be Harris. We know what to expect from Daniels and Howard, but Harris is the wildcard. Since Armstrong can't hit the outside shot anymore, we will need a PG who can hit an open jumper comming off the bench. Looking at last year, who was our back up point, and though Daniels had a big post-season, how far did the Mavs get? Think about it.

·
Esquire
8,573 Posts
Josh needs to step up the most. Marquis will step it up.

Go Mavericks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
We all know that Dirk will step his game up. I think Howard will be a big part of the playoff run. I think Devin will be a key part of the playoffs getting more PT the rest of the regular season.

·
Say Cheese
3,842 Posts
Devin is going to hit some big shots in the playoffs...I can feel it....its going to be awesome to watch him grow in the playoffs, much like JHo and Quis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think Damp will have to step up if the Mavs are to go far in the playoffs. Dirk will get his numbers, if Damp plays well defensive and chips in on offense the Mavs are really tough to beat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No one mentioned the Mavericks great run a couple years back. You know the one, Dirk gets hurt we lose in the second round. Does anyone remember who are back up point gaurd was, Nick Van Exil. This guy gave us a spark of the bench, he penetrated and could shoot. When it comes to big games, the guy who really helps is the guy who can contol the game. Thats why the following year, with the addition of all those super stars, we did even worse. Those are play makers, no game winners. Excpect Devin Harris or Terry to come up big. We already know Dirk will bring his A game. And in a 7 game serious the marq and howard will play their parimeter defense, Damp will plug up the paint and who will orqiatrate it all, the point gaurds. Devin harris and Jason Terry, both playing very well under Johnson.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts