Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the expansion draft coming up who do you think the Blazers will protect?

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Welcome to the board!

I think they'll protect Randolph, Miles, Woods and Outlaw.

They might protect Stepania, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Charlotte, either.

Person and Wallace cannot be protected unless the Blazers give them an extension between now and the end of the season.

Stoudamire, Davis, Anderson and Patterson would be available to be taken by Charlotte.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
How many players can we protect?

Can we protect players on the IR? If so, why not sign a couple of lunks and leave them unprotected.

Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>IM4PTB</b>!
With the expansion draft coming up who do you think the Blazers will protect?
My initial thought was Zach - but for entirely different reasons than described here. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I thought in the last expansion draft, teams could keep up to 8 players, so if that is still true:

Anderson
Randolph
Woods
Davis
Stepania
Outlaw
Patterson
Miles-if he is restricted, can he be protected?

Wallace and Person can't be protected since they are free agents
If we sign Cook, he will probably also be a free agent at the end of the season

That leaves Damon as the one unprotected.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
we had a thread about this already...

I will see if I can find it

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
This thread should probably be merged with this one

Expansion draft thread

Some posters mention the guidelines for the expansion draft

From BlazerFan4Life
"An interesting note I came across from Charlotte.com:
The NBA has ruled that any team with a restricted free agent in the summer of 2004 would have to count him among the eight veterans protected from the Charlotte expansion draft, or risk losing him. Forcing teams to protect restricted free agents figures to improve the talent pool from which Charlotte will pick.
But think about the opposite scenario: What happens if a restricted free agent in 2004 -- a player such as Chicago's Jamal Crawford or Cleveland's Chris Mihm -- is left unprotected in the expansion draft?
Under the rules, if Charlotte drafts that player, he immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent. You might ask why Charlotte would draft such a player -- who, by definition, has no obligation to play in Charlotte. But in fact, that could be a great strategy for managing the new team's salary cap."

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
most of the players it's pretty obvious. you don't expose Woods, Randolph, Outlaw, Sheed (if he's resigned), Patterson (I think he's become a PR asset at this point with his energy), Miles (assuming we resign him).

however, there's one guy on the bubble for me: Derek Anderson.

if we lost him, would we really be that much worse off? it'd free up a ton of playing time for Qyntel at the 2, and we could re-sign Person as a reasonably priced backup.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
A team can protect a maximum of 8 players, but can protect fewer.

Every team has to have at least one unprotected player, though.

Restricted FA's must be protected or they risk being signed. But it gets tricky. Let's say that Portland chooses not to protect Darius Miles. Charlotte could choose him, however he would not automatically become a Bobcat. He would become an unrestricted FA and could sign with the Bobcats or with any other team - other than the Blazers, that is.

Unrestricted FA's cannot be protected.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
OK, is we can protect 8 player, here's who I would leave unprotected...

1) Damon
2) Stephania
3) Cook (or whoever takes his roster spot)
4) DA (due to seasonal injuries)

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I would protect

SG Qyntel
PF Randolph, Outlaw
C Stepania
FA Person, Miles and Wallace

Keeping Stepania just due to a small contract amount

EXPOSING
DA, Patterson, Davis and Damon to let Charlotte pick from
All for contract reasons.... I like DA, but he is hurt a lot and has a decent sized contract. Not bad, but still some $

If they took any of these guys off our payroll it would help things this summer. If some miracle trade gets us close to being under the cap, then this could really help even more. I agree, I do not think loosing DA would hurt us so much. Loosing that big salary would help IMHO.

Moving Damon and Dale as expiring contracts for next year might be a lot easier than Sheed this year. So if they are not taken it might not be so bad.

I would prefer to keep Ruben at this point in time, but think if he is taken it would be alright due to his trade kicker in his contract being a slight problem for trade purposes, and htelength of his contract in years.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I would protect

Z-Bo
Woods
Miles
Outlaw
Anderson (We have no other SG and he's good for PR)

Players I would leave unprotected
Patterson, Stepania, Stoudamire, Davis

Players that can't be protected, and can't be taken by Charlotte.
Person
Wallace

I doubt Cook is still around, but if he is and he is looking good, I imagine he will be a UFA, so he wouldn't be able to be protected.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I'd protect:

Zach
Miles
Woods
Outlaw

Let Charlotte take on the contracts of DA, Patterson, or Damon if they REALLY want to. Each of them have various levels of usefulness, but their absence wouldn't really hurt the team where it's going (fighting for the playoffs, rather than the championship) over the next couple of years. On the other hand, dropping their contracts early would help us make a run at James Posey-type mid-level players who would be cheaper and/or better than the guy Charlotte would pick...

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Wouldn't it be something if we left Damon unprotected and they, in a state of drunked madness, picked him? Nah, I guess we can't be THAT fortunate.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ok with the trade with the HAWKS just going down..NOW who do you protect...:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts