Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between current stars and stars from the past?

Current:
C-Shaq
PF-Duncan
SF-Tmc
SG-Kobe
PG-Kidd

Bench:
Garnett
Pierce
Webber
Dirk
Iverson

Past:
C-Wilt
PF-Russell
SF-Bird
SG-MJ
PG-Magic

Bench:
Kareem
West
Stockton
Malone
DR. J

Analyze the matchups if you want.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
You gotta show respect to the old veterans, but I would think that the newer team would win. Not necesarily because they are more talented, but because basketball has become so much bigger and faster since Chamberlain, Jabaar, and Russell's time.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Past would kill the new team no question. They would win every matchup by far.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
I don't know, you make up your mind from the way I analyze them...

Power: Advantage Current Stars...Wilt, Kareem, and Russell were more finesse players

Agility: Advantage Current Stars...they have guys like Kobe, McGrady, KG, and Iverson. Although, the Past Stars do have two of the greatest: MJ and Dr. J.

Finesse: Advantage Past Stars...Wilt, Kareem, and Russell were great from anywhere within 10-15ft from the basket, and could throw in almost any shot.

Passing: Advantage Past Stars...you can't beat Magic and Stockton in this category.

Shooting: Advantage Past Stars...Larry Bird, Jerry West, and Michael Jordan are great shooters who can hit from almost any distance.

Speed: Advatage Current Stars...Iverson, and Kidd can really get up the court, and the Past Stars wouldn't be able to keep up with them.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree X.

I think in their time the stars of the past were more dominant. But its hard to compare guys from the 60s and 70s to players now. Kobe and Tmc would probably have been PFs then but they are SGs now. I don't think they'd have an answer (no pun intended) for AI and Kidd's speed either. Maybe the better argument would be which team would be more dominant i their respective eras?

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
I really think the New Era team would win..Basketball has change alot since bird,wilt and all them played and has got alot faster since back in like the 1970 and 1980

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think the past would win because the best thing that MJ, Bird, and Magic did to other players was make them play their kind of game. For that reason alone I would pick the past team.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i think the big thing for the old timers is they have the best PF of all time coming off the bench, malone in his prime would give duncan heaps of trouble.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
The past.

Quicker doesn't always mean better. The bench for the past stars going with their unselfish starters would just help the past stars to win.

AND as so many posters like to point out, experience at winning is important. :D

But as somebody else said, keeping the eras separated is better for all who play or played this game.

<b>Current: 7 rings</b>

C-Shaq = 3 rings
PF-Duncan = 1 ring
SF-Tmc = 0
SG-Kobe = 3 rings
PG-Kidd = 0

Bench:
Garnett = 0 rings
Pierce = 0
Webber = 0
Dirk = 0
Iverson = 0

<b>Past: = 35 rings</b>

C-Wilt = 2 rings
PF-Russell = 11 rings
SF-Bird = 3 rings
SG-MJ = 6 rings
PG-Magic = 5 rings

Bench:
Kareem = 6 rings
West = 1 ring
Stockton = 0
Malone = 0
DR. J = 1 NBA and 2 ABA rings

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I really don't think that there is much question that the past team would beat the present. IMO, I'd replace Wilt on the starting line-up with Kareem. Russell could help Kareem down low with Shaq (Wilt was more of a power player), and Kareem would destroy Shaq with 8-12 foot skyhooks on offense.

·
Registered
885 Posts
i'd have to favor the past team. in wilts day, he went about 285-290 lbs. and that was before they had bball players lifting weights to get bigger. if you look at his body his legs werent as built as his upper body. i have no doubt that if he were young in todays nba wilt could easily get to about 300-315 lbs. and not really lose any speed or agility. he wouldn't exactly stop shaq cold but, shaq definately wouldn't stop wilt either. i wouldn't start russell over malone at pf. russel played great d but he couldn't put up the offensive numbers that malone would. and now for the old school team's big three. bird, magic and jordan would completely beat down on the youngsters. those guys are in my oppinion the 3 greatest ever at their respective positions. anyone thinking those guys couldn't run with the new crop of guys are forgetting that these older player's teams were scoring more than the teams are now. teams in those eras could actually do the fast break when they wanted to and some did it quite well. if kg is worth his money, then a young healthy bird would be worth that plus about another 3-4 mil. i aggree that it is unfair to try to directly compare players from another era but i don't see any way possible for the young crew to compete with the older guys.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The past would win. They all are better overall players. They also are clutch. Most could play some great defense, especially guys like Russell and MJ. They have better fundamentals. Dunks may look good, but how can you dunk on Russell? He would tip the ball to himself, pass it to Magic, who would dish it to MJ for the fadeaway 3!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The current team just because of the level of athletic ability they have and the past team for the most part haven't.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
All depends what type of pace they'll play at. If they are playing at a NY Knicks/Miami Heat grind it out defensive type game, the past easily. Russell would hold Duncan down, same with MJ holding Kobe down, and Magic could hold Kidd down too probably. If Wilt could deal with Shaq's power, then the only advantage the current team would have is T-Mac isolating with Bird and using his athletic ability to score.

Now if it's an up-and-down Mavericks/Kings kind of game, the new team would win easily IMO. Outside of MJ and Dr. J off the bench, they wouldn't be able to keep up especially if you put Duncan at center and Garnett at PF to make the team even more athletic.

·
Registered
324 Posts
How fair is it to put the top players from the last 56 years(Minus the ones that are on the present team) against players from one era?

The Past would definitely win.

By Malone, do you mean Mo or Karl?

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
tmac certainly doesn't have an advantage in a matchup with bird. bird was also actually a decent defender earlier in his career before his back started giving him trouble.

this era could hold it's own against other era's imo. it's not fair to compare them to every era at their peak combined.

and nobody was better at running the break than magic (with worthy being arguably the best runningmate ever). karl malone was as good a runner at the 4 than anyone also (along with barkley - both superior to garnett in that area).

·
Registered
24 Posts
old MJ always finds a way to win..plus, look at that line-up!!!!!

definitely the team of the past would KILL the team of the present

1 - 20 of 21 Posts