Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Who would you blame for the Knicks' disastrous season?

• Larry Brown

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Isiah Thomas

Votes: 52 50.5%
  • James Dolan

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • The Knicks players

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • Spike Lee

Votes: 9 8.7%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
gotta be isiah... pointless trades, massive amounts of over spending..
i do hate what larry brown did this season though, his coaching really irked me.. and im not even a knicks fan

Reactions: SlamJam

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Everyone in NYK organization sucks. Isiah did some dumb moves, he brought in Larry hoping he could instill what he did with the other franchise that he coached and Larry failed, players are playing in a different state of mind....what a disaster. Tsk tsk..poor NY fans.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
27,987 Posts
A bit of everyone.

They built a team of no-defense-playing, egomaniacal, chuck-happy slugs and then brought in an egomaniacal defensive coach whose offense sucks.

And then they continued to add no-defense-playing, egomaniacal, chuck-happy slugs.

An offensive-minded team who doesn't play defense coached by a defensive-minded coach who is clueless offensively. And not only that, but none of their heads are small enough to fit through a doorway. AND the stars on the team have histories of fighting with their teammates and coaches, while their coach is known for infighting with the players, often going through the media.

No one saw that as a bad match?

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,781 Posts
The blame starts with Larry Brown. He has been antagonistic from the beginning. He has done nothing to suggest he is willing to coah "the right way". His rotations have been ****ty and I think he has done it purposely. He has constantly ragged the entire roster in the media because he knows he has a few kiss ***, long time friends in the media that wouldn't call him on it. The team has talent. Talent that is a bad fit? Yes. But how can you expect players to be consistent eithout a consistent role. Players have gone from playing 30+ minutes to DNP-coaching decisions from game to game regardless of performance. I personally think he is trying to get fired and bought out.

I think this team should be overhauled 1-17 which includes the headcoach and GM. They are already in cap hell so more bad contracts shouldn't matter. Just turnover the entire roster. Get as many assets as possible and try to set your sights on OJ Mayo and cap room in 2009 or 2010.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
Larry Brown. This team was merely bad last year. They added the Chicago Bulls frontcourt from a team that won homecourt last year. And they became worse!? After having one of the best drafts from last year?

Larry Brown is a douche. It's already been said, but his rotations suck. He is overly confrontational with his players. His offense has sucked for ages. The team isn't a defense first team.

I guarantee Mike D'Antoni could take the exact same roster and make it the fourth best team in the East.

The Knicks should be trying to score 120 points every night, not trying to hold teams under 80.

And Isiah isn't a bad gm. People are hard on him needlessly. He's a poor man's Bob Whitsitt. Another guy with a bad rap. The GM gets you talent. It's the coach's job to make that talent work in a system. And you can't argue that Isiah didn't give Larry talent. He got the best possible players that the Knicks could aquire given their situation.

This team doesn't need an overhaul either. It just needs an offensive minded system. And a non-douche coach.

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
futuristxen said:
Larry Brown. This team was merely bad last year. They added the Chicago Bulls frontcourt from a team that won homecourt last year. And they became worse!? After having one of the best drafts from last year?

Larry Brown is a douche. It's already been said, but his rotations suck. He is overly confrontational with his players. His offense has sucked for ages. The team isn't a defense first team.

I guarantee Mike D'Antoni could take the exact same roster and make it the fourth best team in the East.

The Knicks should be trying to score 120 points every night, not trying to hold teams under 80.

And Isiah isn't a bad gm. People are hard on him needlessly. He's a poor man's Bob Whitsitt. Another guy with a bad rap. The GM gets you talent. It's the coach's job to make that talent work in a system. And you can't argue that Isiah didn't give Larry talent. He got the best possible players that the Knicks could aquire given their situation.

This team doesn't need an overhaul either. It just needs an offensive minded system. And a non-douche coach.
good point.
it does really leave a bit question mark over larry brown when you have that much talent on a roster and your the worst team in the league, the knicks squad is absolutely packed with skilled players, but somehow between rotations, confidence, offensive and defensive arrangment they have just become a push over.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i dont see how it can be anyone but thomas... giving away a first that is looking like a top 3 pick for curry was just madness. also, i'm not sure any player on that whole roster knows the meaning of defense, and the one that i thought was decent on d was ariza who was traded and wasnt even playing when he was there, so how are you going to bring in a demanding defensive minded coach with players who are defensively challenged...

also after kurt thomas was traded there is no locker room leadership or toughness there so chalk that up as another bad move... how the man still has a job is amazing, they actually had a decent young nucleus with frye, ariza, david lee, robinson and sweetney... throw in crawford + jackie butler and there is your rotation right there and i doubt they would have done any worse than these other losers have done.... at least they are young and have something to prove instead of being overpaid and lazy... again I cant see how anyone can not see how this is thomas's fault

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
I don't think there's any lottery pick this year is going to prove to be better than Eddy Curry. So it's not really a bad trade in that respect. Unless Barganani is a superstar, I don't think anyone at the top of this draft is going to be anything but a bust. Zeke knew this, which is why he had no problem parting with the pick. I bet he picks someone late in the first round that's better than whoever ends up being the number 3 pick(Italian dude notwithstanding). The Knicks just got Lee, Frye, Robinson. They have Curry and Crawford and Woods. They really don't need anymore lottery picks. They need a coach with half a decent idea of how to use these guys.

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
isiah thomas has done a bad job as gm, but at least he has put together a talented group of players.

i say this is larry brown's fault. he just isn't a good coach anymore. any decent coach could have won with the pistons team he had after rasheed was added. and he did a pathetic job at the olympics and this season he has done another pathetic job. over his career, he has been a good coach, but recently he has been terrible.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
I noticed something earlier this season, in Brown's stats, his first season with a team is always horrible, I think all under .500 it is the 2nd season that teams start to emerge.

I'll try and get the stats...

So maybe it's too early to critique Brown? Maybe his system takes more than a season to be instilled?

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
ok, so I was wrong but

1988 San Antonio 21 61 .256
1989 San Antonio 56 26 .683
1990 San Antonio 55 27 .671

you can see from

http://compuserve.nba.com/coachfile/larry_brown/index.html?nav=page

that generally, when he first get on a team, they don't do great. exception to nugs and pists. they usually improve. Look at Spurs for example.

Pretty crazy that they went from a .256 to a .683 team.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Why is Isiah Thomas to blame, wasnt the knicks team he inherited horrible to begin with? He has brought them Francis and Marbury(all star players) They have Channing Frye, Eddy Curry, Jalen Rose, Qrich, Jamal Crawford. Thats more talent then most bottom feeder teams.

Blame it on Larry Brown,dude is so overrated.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I blame Isaiah. Why did he hire Larry Brown? You need a flexible coach in these types of situations. He gave Larry Brown coaches who got used to losing, they got no hunger. I would say, DONT TRADE FOR TALENT THAT DEMANDS MUCH MONEY. Ride the wave, wait till ALL the contracts expire.(2009 right?) Play the younger ones and the vets who hunger! Their record can only go UP! Stop trading your draft picks! Probably they should trade FOR draft picks. The eddy curry deal in my opinion was still good.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
50% larry brown

50% isiah thomas

50% players

theres enough blame to go around ;)

normally i would leave LB alone but there is just so much talent on that roster i can not fathom how they can go so long without one of those guys getting pissed and dropping 37 (oh.... wait) so for that reason i definately believe the system is an issue.

isiah is at fault for only trading for talent rather than chemistry. he has 14 players that need to dominate the ball to score, and then david lee who lives off alleys and putbacks.

and players are at fault because if u know u can win, there $120M worth of talent on ur team, and ur getting drubbed everynight. at some point in time u have to ignore the coach and do what works

Reactions: SlamJam

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Isiah is an underrated GM. That doesn't mean he's good, or decent, even, but he's not insane. In the Knicks games I've seen this year, Eddy Curry has looked pretty good. More importantly, he looks like he can improve a lot (though his work ethic may be a problem). The Jalen Rose acquisition was a smart move. Steve Francis is obviously a bad fit, and anyone could have seen that, but there's nothing wrong with stockpiling pieces when the season is pretty much over for your team. And Frye and Lee were good selections.
On the other hand, Isiah did sign Jerome James for a lot of money, and he traded Nazr Mohammed, who was playing pretty well for them. And he acquired Maurice Taylor. But it's not like every single thing he's done has been inconceivably stupid.

I think Larry Brown should be blamed. This team should not have gotten worse.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.