Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, i know playoff talk may be a bit early, since the west is so strong, but let's say we make the playoffs, which team would you most want to play? Which team would you least want to play?

personally, I would like to play the Mavs. Mavs is a very fast team, and I think our young guys will have no trouble keeping up with them. They are also streaky. When they're on, they're on, when they're off, they're way off. In the playoffs, that is very costly. If they have a bad night, no doubt we'd punish them. Also, in a long series, our depth will really help keep our starters' legs fresh. Mavs also doesn't play much defense. They're among the bottom of the league in points allowed. While they're a high scoring them, when you're playing a 7 game series, they become kind of predictable. Truth is they're very one dimensional.. They don't have much inside prescence, and they like to run a lot.. that's it. No doubt Hubie will easily come up with a strategy to stop them in 7 games.

Another team I wouldn't mind playing is the Timberwolves. They have a history of losing in the first round, and we'd be honoured to keep the annual tradition. KG has a couple good players around him now, but they still lack a deep bench. In a 7 game series, having no bench kills.

the last team I'd want to play in the playoffs is probably the Lakers. If all four of their HOFamers are healthy, then it's best to stay away from them. They're just in a whole different league.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i would not like to play the T-Wolves or the Mavs. actually, i would like to face the Spurs.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
The T Wolves is the team I definitely do not want to play. They are us with more experience and a higher talent level.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>MemphisX</b>!
The T Wolves is the team I definitely do not want to play. They are us with more experience and a higher talent level.
I have to disagree with that. Take a look at their bench. Thats right, they have none. I think Cassell, Spree and Garnett would be pretty worn out by the time playoffs come. Our bench is 10 times deeper. They are definitely a winnable team.

Spurs is a dangerous team to play. Hello? Defending champs?? Who's gonna guard Duncan? That is a team that knows how to play well together, and when playoffs come they become a whole different team.

I still think our best chances are against the Mavs, and T-Wolves. Doesn't look like Mavs will get home court though. We may finish higher than the Mavs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by <b>c_dog</b>!

Spurs is a dangerous team to play. Hello? Defending champs?? Who's gonna guard Duncan? That is a team that knows how to play well together, and when playoffs come they become a whole different team.
Hello? yourself. that was last year, and without Robinson, the Spurs are a much different team this year. i know we can beat the Spurs, i've seen us do it and come very close to doing it a few other times (see Duncan's buzzer beater last season). i haven't seen us beat the T-Wolves, and i don't see it happening this year either. who's going to guard Duncan? probably the same guys that guard him every time we play him. don't be ridiculous and melodramatic. we're very capable of beating the Spurs.

·
Registered
364 Posts
depends,honestly the only thing a lot of the playoff teams in the west have on us is,experience.and i can see us pulling a denver nuggets,when they beat seattle.we play good in the pointed house,and maybe we'll steal one on the road.so to me it really dudn't matter.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>Zeus</b>!

Hello? yourself. that was last year, and without Robinson, the Spurs are a much different team this year. i know we can beat the Spurs, i've seen us do it and come very close to doing it a few other times (see Duncan's buzzer beater last season). i haven't seen us beat the T-Wolves, and i don't see it happening this year either. who's going to guard Duncan? probably the same guys that guard him every time we play him. don't be ridiculous and melodramatic. we're very capable of beating the Spurs.
Are you saying that the spurs are no longer championship material? They are essentially the same team as last year. Their core of players, Duncan, Parker, Bowen, and Ginobli are still there. Robinson, as great as he was, was nothing more than a role player last year. He was solid at best, he was way past his prime. I'm not saying Rasho is gonna be better than Robinson, but Rasho isn't much of a downgrade from an old retiring Robinson. Tim Duncan has also improved from last year, and you know he steps up in the playoffs. Last year he dominated in the playoffs, which is why he won MVP. Tim in the playoffs and Tim in a regular season game is quite different. He's one of those players that rises to the occasion.

Spurs bench has also gotten better, imo, with the additon of guys like Hedo, and Mercer.

I think spurs will be harder to beat than the T-wolves. Yeah, we're capable of beating them, just like we're capable of beating pretty much everyteam in the league, but spurs definitely won't be easier than the t-wolves.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i did not say that the Spurs were not championship material. i said their accomplishments last year have no bearing on this year. i think you're crazy for wanting the T-Wolves, you think i'm crazy for wanting the Spurs. either way, we've both answered your question. except for that beautiful dunk Pau had over KG (when Pau was an unknown), KG has gotten the better of Pau. Pau, on the other hand, has gotten the better of Duncan. again, i've seen us beat the Spurs, i haven't seen us beat the T-Wolves.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Like I said after the major trades went down this year, this team is going to the playoffs.

Given that they are coming in at the bottom of the bracket. I think it would be fantastic for the Grizz, to take on the Kings.

This team sorely needs that level of competition and a win, well a win is not only not out of their grasp because they match up well against the kings, but, a victory would be the ultimate confidence booster.

Not to mention those games would just be fun as hell to watch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts