·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's Overtime....
The game is tied....
there's 3 seconds on the clock...
Michael Jordan (Thee best clutch playa of all time) has the rock
Which player/defender would you put on him to contend...

1) The Glove
2) Kobe
3) T-Mac
4) Eddie Jones
5) Doug Christie
6) Ron Artest

Explain....
Wha cha think??

·
A!
9,434 Posts
1. Ron Artest
- Artest is physically stronger than Jordan and can overpower him when they ar fighting for position. Artest is a great on the ball defender and doesn't usually get tricked by jukes and fakes. He would have the most success.
2. Gary Payton
- A little undersized, but not by much. Again, on the ball defense is most important at this stage in the game and the glove would flourish. Jordan would still be able to shoot over him, but Payton would give him problems.
3. Tracy McGrady
- He is higher than Kobe because he has more length and would be able to use that to his advantage. His long arms make it hard for Jordan to get around him or shoot over him.

The Rest (no order)
Kobe Bryant
Doug Christie
Eddie Jones

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd have MJ guard MJ with the game on the line. Dennis Johnson would have to be my next choice followed by The Glove, Gary Payton. Maybe Kobe just for kicks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
didnt pierce block a late game jumper by MJ early in the year?? i dno if the game was ahighly contested one but i remember it being late in the game, pierce would be one of my first choices none of the players listed block shots(expecially jumpshots) like pierce

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Pippen in his prime. He was a excellent defender. He has good size and is bigger than MJ. He is also quick enough to handle Mike. He has also played with MJ enough to know his weaknesses to exploit him.

With three seconds left and

the ball is out of bounds- double mike and deny him the ball
if mike has the ball- pray and guard him with Pippen
if Mike doesnt have the ball- deny him the ball with Pippen.

Obviously the worst scenario for the defense to be in woul be the second option.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Gary is a very good pick, he is fast small and is quicker than Jordan, plus he is not affraid for him at all. Kobe I don't like on MJ because Kobe can get posted up and would get out muscled my Jordan, same with Payton.

The #1 defender on Jordan is Tracy McGrady, he is longer than Jordan he has 2 inches on him, he is just as quick or quicker, he can jump with him any day. He can block his shot, he can stay on him with on the ball defense, all he would need to do is learn what Jordan does learn his moves and once he did that he would not go for Jordan's pump fakes. Tracy could handle him though because he is just as athletic as MJ but Tracy is 6-8, but we will never be able to really see who could? Tracy is my guess though!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Lets just throw Craig Ehlo onto MJ so we can have one more game-winner that is played ad-nauseum forever.

Or I know, Gerald Wilkins. He's the Jordan stopper, ya know?

:D :D :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Antonio Davis.....well not really...but did any of you guys seee the Raptors vs. Wizards last season...MJ's first game back and the first game of the Raptors winning streak....The Raps are down by 1 (or 2) MJ goes up for the shot, misses, gets the rebound and then AD just hacks the **** out of MJ and grabs the ball for the Raps to win.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would

1. Pippen in his prime- Pippen was a excellent defender, he could guard all 5 positions(see Game 5 of Jazz series).

2. Gary Payton- The Sonics never one a game in the finals until the Glove was put on MJ.

3. Ron Artest- Bigger, Stronger.......Could fight MJ for the ball

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Artest didn't bother MJ much last year. MJ fouled him out of at least one game as well.

McGrady wasn't doing too much against him either. MJ got hurt that game and sat out. Jordan was controling McGrady as well.

Pierce gave him trouble. Then again Harrington gave him trouble as well. If we were talking about the present MJ then I would say Paul Pierce or Al Harrington.

If we are talking about the MJ in his prime? Then they are all the same, it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
HOLY!!!

BCH...............as in The BCH from realgm? And your a mod? Did hell freeze over, or am I missing something?

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by BCH
Artest didn't bother MJ much last year. MJ fouled him out of at least one game as well.
What? Artest definitely gave MJ problems and I think the man himself would even admit that.

Game 1 vs. Bulls
Jordan- 29 points (Most of it came when he was defended by Mercer), 5 turnovers, 9-24 FG

Game 2 vs. Bulls
Jordan- 16 points, 9 turnovers, 7-21 FG

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Al Harrington and Paul Pierce

I believe those are the two players who held MJ to under 10 points, but I'm not sure on Pierce. I know that Harrington did though.

·
Registered
924 Posts
This Is Out Of Today's NBA...

Just Some People I Would Consider Putting On MJ...

Gary Payton PG Sonics
Ron Artest SF Pacers
Paul Pierce SF/SG Celtics
Shane Battier SF/SG Grizzlies
Jason Kidd PG Nets
Eddie Jones SG Heat
Eric Snow PG Sixers

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Either Artest or Kobe

They are great defenders. Artest is better, but Kobe tries twice as hard in the clutch.

Also, Bruce Bowen should be on this list, he's a great defender.:yes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
With the game on the line, none of these guys can guard MJ in his prime. It's one thing to put a player on him for the course of the game, but another to have that same player guard him during crunch time with the game on the line as I think there's as much of an importance to be mentally prepared at the end of the game on defense just as it is on offense. If we're talking about MJ of today, then any of the guys listed above could guard him.

There are only a couple things that I have issues with Pierce & T-Mac. While they are extremely athletically gifted with good size, both don't have defensive funamentals down as they rely more on atheticism. Good defensive guards like Dennis Johnson, MJ, & GP would force the player to their off hands and anticipate the opponents moves and basically shut down their opponent.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
In his prime?
lol, the question should changes to "who can limite Jordan within 35 points under single coverage."

Pierce is a good defender, he can move his feet. but prime time Jordan could drop 50 on him.

·
Registered
127 Posts
MJ

The only one who can stop MJ in the clutch is...........

MJ himself. But....as I stated before....If i was going to choose someone to try to stop him.........Pippen, then GP, then Artest

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: HOLY!!!

Originally posted by Thrilla
BCH...............as in The BCH from realgm? And your a mod? Did hell freeze over, or am I missing something?
Yes, hell froze over. :rolleyes:

Or maybe he just proved that he could be a mod?

This is Budweiser_Boy at Fortress' place by the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts