Votes: 29 100.0%
  • Rookie

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment ive noticed this year it is good to have Veterans at the PG position e.g with the Clippers and how Sam Cassell is leading that side, look at the leadership that Gary Payton is giving off the bench. But on the other hand Rookies such as Deron Williams (off the Bench) and Chris Paul are doing a great job running the Point for there respected clubs

So what type of PG would you rather

1. A Veteran
2. A Rookie

·
Banned
4,660 Posts
Uhhh... whichever one's better.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
If they are both of the same skill the vetern leads the team every time

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's kinda hard. Good rooks can be good at the PG position(Deron Williams, Chris Paul...) but veterans are better, because of their experience. :)

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
edyzbasketball said:
It's kinda hard. Good rooks can be good at the PG position(Deron Williams, Chris Paul...) but veterans are better, because of their experience. :)
While a rookie might play well in the regular season I wouldn't be feeling good about them in the playoffs against a Billups or Kidd.

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
3,012 Posts
A rookie like Magic Johnson! :biggrin:

honestly, I'm more comfortable with a veteran PG leading my team. Because I think PG is the hardest position in basketball (NBA). PG use brain more than physique (but it would be a lot better if a PG has great physique). A veteran PG has experience and more knowledge abot the league they're playing in, a good veteran PG will understand his teammate better and knows the right play against certain teams. I also expect a veteran PG to be more consistent and not as shaky like a rookie when the ball is in his hands or if he has to make a decision. I like my rookie PG to learn by playing backup PG. I like my rookie PG to fight for the starting position. In most cases I'm probably not going to start my rookie PG on opening night. Just my idealism :)

Only the PG position. I'm not to worry about other positions. It's just because that my philosophy the ball always starts from the PG, so that PG better know what to do with that ball. And in most cases veteran knows better.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
RSP83 said:
A rookie like Magic Johnson! :biggrin:

honestly, I'm more comfortable with a veteran PG leading my team. Because I think PG is the hardest position in basketball (NBA). PG use brain more than physique (but it would be a lot better if a PG has great physique). A veteran PG has experience and more knowledge abot the league they're playing in, a good veteran PG will understand his teammate better and knows the right play against certain teams. I also expect a veteran PG to be more consistent and not as shaky like a rookie when the ball is in his hands or if he has to make a decision. I like my rookie PG to learn by playing backup PG. I like my rookie PG to fight for the starting position. In most cases I'm probably not going to start my rookie PG on opening night. Just my idealism :)

Only the PG position. I'm not to worry about other positions. It's just because that my philosophy the ball always starts from the PG, so that PG better know what to do with that ball. And in most cases veteran knows better.

I agree with the post. I guess for me, I would choose a veteran PG over a rookie. While it is of course wonderful to have a new, fresh and talented rookie to be part of your team, I agree with the post which mentions that the PG position is a position which requires not only skill but experience, maturity and vision which a veteran PG can provide more extensively than a rookie PG. I am not saying that rookies are less important, but the leadership may not be as effective as a veteran's leadership, in my opinion. There are a lot of intangibles (leadership/maturity/vision) that come with experience that cannot be measured by stats alone.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Veteran PG - Stephon Marbury?You want him to lead a team?
... :biggrin:
but honestly I want a veteran leading my team..but NOT STEPHON MARBURY..

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
veteran. no question

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
vet please.. thank u

·
Registered
969 Posts
Deron is in a good situation, with Sloan as a coach, and none other than Stockton as his mentor.

Chris has talent, for sure, and the Hornets are allowing him to showcase it, being that they are not expected to do anything.

If either is on a good team and/or behind a veteran PG, neither will be lauded as much as they are now. That should tell you something.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
depends on skill level.for instince would you want to have kevin ollie running your team or chris paul. but if its between like arenas and deron williams you go with arenas

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
A Vet Obviously..

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
lol anyone that says a rookie will have a bad team

1 - 20 of 20 Posts