Registered
4,734 Posts
qrich1fan said:
Big Ben . . .defense wins rings
Yup, very well said. :clap: I would choose him as well. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
On my team "The Nets" I would love Wallace, that would make that team pretty much unstopable.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
This year only or for the next 6 years? Ben is a bigger difference maker at this point (which is not to say Yao doesn't have a large impact himself), but he's getting older and relies on his athleticism a lot. I'm not saying he's going to turn into a pumpkin the next few years, but Yao is only getting better and Ben will be losing a bit to age (everyone does). Can't really go wrong with either one though at the moment.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Yao. He is the second best center in the league, and is putting up crazy numbers this year. Big Ben is aging and losing effectiveness. He is still very good, but ill take the younger more talented yao

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Yao if I need a #2 scoring/franchise player

Ben if I had all the scoring but needed moster interior defensive presence

Reactions: Air Fly

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
I take Ben because he is the type of guy who should have no problem playing well into his 40s. Much like a Karl Malone.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
"Big Ben" Ben Wallace. Not only is he the Defensive Player of the Year. He has some of the best defense I have ever seen and this guy plays with an attitude every game. He goes out to win, love his determination and willingness to win.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Ben

tremedous defensive player, one of the only few that can defend, rebound, block, and steal well

He can play both 4 and 5, but even if he gets matched up with a point guard it still won't be a mismatch

because he is that good

·
We Just Wanna Chill
12,088 Posts
tone wone said:
Yao if I need a #2 scoring/franchise player

Ben if I had all the scoring but needed moster interior defensive presence
exactly what i was going to say...

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
3,012 Posts
Yao.

From basketball perspective:
He's still young, he's still getting better. He can help the team offensively and defensively. He has the potential to become a dominant force in the paint. He's arguably the most reliable center, with Shaq injured a lot. People think he's overrated. But, when you look at it, no center other than Shaq is even close to his production overall. He might not be as good as Hakeem, or D-Rob, or Ewing (yet), but who cares? Yao is not playing against them. Any team that has Yao draws extra attention. With Yao teams always have that advantage. He gives your more possibilities.

Ben Wallace is nice. But, I wouldn't start a franchise around him. Ben block shots, rebounds, and hustle. But, when he's not on the defensive end, I don't know what I'm going to do with him. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have Ben on my team. But, over Yao? I don't think so. Yao is just a better basketball player. Now, if say Ben is a Houston Rockets in place of Yao Ming, would T-Mac play for the Rockets?

From business perspective:
Yao by light years. International Superstar originate from the most populated country in the world. Houston Rockets has a HUGE market. Actualy, now that we're talking about this, I'm curious how big of an impact is Yao to the NBA / Rockets business?

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Yao. He's a very good defensive player and definitely improves the overall team defense. On top of that, he's a far, far better offensive player than Ben Wallace. Wallace is a better rebounder, but all told I consider Yao easily the better overall player.

The fact that Yao is also much younger only makes it more of a slam dunk.

·
Registered
361 Posts
RSP83 said:
Yao.

From basketball perspective:

Ben Wallace is nice. But, I wouldn't start a franchise around him. Ben block shots, rebounds, and hustle. But, when he's not on the defensive end, I don't know what I'm going to do with him. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have Ben on my team. But, over Yao? I don't think so. Yao is just a better basketball player. Now, if say Ben is a Houston Rockets in place of Yao Ming, would T-Mac play for the Rockets?
Well, Detroit built their franchise around Big Ben and the results are well known. He is the face of the Piston franchise. The entire state of Michigan embraces this guy. His character both on and off the court really inspire Piston followers. "Fear the fro"

If you want to compare stats, why don't you take a look at they played head to head. Wallace dominates Yao every game they play in. Yao Ming will have to show me something when it counts in the playoffs and dominate/win a series. He put up some nice numbers against the Mavs this past postseason but look at the results (And its against the Mavs defense). Ben is a year in/year out DPOY. Yao, with his physical attributes, has not raised his game on the defensive end. Who knows if he will ever have that edge to dominate games defensively.

Big Ben is the second best center in the league for now. In a Game 7 playoff game I would take Wallace 10 out of 10 times.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
depends on what coaching system the teams playing under, what other players i have, whether im building for the next 5-6 years or going for the gold now...

but i agree with defense wins rings

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Yao always starts the season slow offensively, but he has been on a tear defensively this year. Has been very good on the pick and rolls and the best shot blocker in the league so far. His instinct seems to have improved. I really don't think he is much behind Ben Wallace as a "team" defender, and is definitely capable of anchoring a defense. JVG has made him feel comfortable as a defensive stopper, now if he can cut down the silly fouls he would be getting more notice across the league.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts