Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In no particular order for me:

Patrick Ewing (good from 15 feet, decent from 18-19, not a three point threat, was good standing still or moving)

Bill Laimbeer (Probably the best spot up shooting big man of the last 20 years, automatic when left open, three point threat later in career)

Jack Sikma (Better from 15-18 feet, not the range of a Laimbeer, but better when covered, also a decent three point threat)

Dirk Nowitzki (Arguably the best outside shooting big man of today, while some may argue he is not a "BIG MAN he is 7' tall, can shoot open or guarded, good three point shooter)

Hakeem Olajuwan (He may not have the range of a Laimbeer, or Sickma, but from 15 feet was automatic while guarded or open, when winning championships arguably was the best shooting Center in the league "for those two years"

Other notables

Rasheed <strike> "Idiot" </strike> ( we try hard to not denigrate players/teams with "name-calling. ) Wallace (Nice jumper, if inconsistent)

Rick Smits (Good from 15 feet, but for career was only a "good" shooter for a few years)

Sabonis (Probably as good a shooter as Laimbeer, but as far as his NBA carreer goes, does not stack up to Laimbeer or Sickma. However had nice range from 15-19 feet, average three point threat) Why in the hell did he not shoot when Shaq left him open
back in the Playoffs a few years ago is beyond me. Laimbeer would have had a field day.

Again, im talking about shooting. Not scoring! And a big man has to be at the least 6'10"

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I'd have to go with The Dream!! He was money, especially in cluth time. I remember lots of j's from 18 ft and beyond during those playoff runs in the 90's

Through in Laimbeer, Dirk and Ewing. Sam Perkins was also great from the outside, although he was entirley on the outside - really a huge 2 gaurd, and he wasn't nearly the player that any of the others mentioned were.

AS for an up and comer - how about Vlad Radmonovich? I don't know is he counts as a "big"

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Rasho Nesterovic is excellent from about 15 feet, sometimes out to 18.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas has a good 15 foot shot.

Kevin Garnett is a great shooter for a seven-footer. Not excellent from 3, but he can do almost anything from mid range. He isn't really a "big man" though.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
define big man?

some good shooting tall guys include:

peja - 6'10 for gods sake!

sam perkins

danny ferry's 6'10

brad lohaus

mcadoo

schrempf

terry mills

rashard lewis is 6'10

pete chilcutt

lafrenz

ewing was one of the best mid-range jumpshooters ever. all the guys you listed were quality shooters.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
lol
6'10, eh?

TURKOGLU

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Tom Chambers?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Remember, I am talking about the BEST. The greatest. The five I posted are who I think the best are(were)

Yes Lohaus, Perkins ect were good outside shooters, I would not put them with the likes of Laimbeer, Ewing, Olajuwan, Sickma.

And as far as the big man thing goes, Laimbeer was 6'11". His entire offensive ability was shooting from the outside. That is not a true CENTER. However, Laimbeer defended the opposing teams center. He also rebounded like a center. The guy scored nearly 14,000 points on tipy toe jump shots from 19 feet.

Ferry did not guard big men, nor did he play anyhting like a big man. However he was nearly 6'10", so if you feel Ferry was one of the GREATEST shooting big men of all-time, then hey... More power to ya.

Lets keep these opinions coming!!
:cool:

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Yao has pretty good range. Dirk is an unreal shooter for his size. VladRad and Rashard are great shooters at around 6'10. Rasheed also.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Great Post & great reply!

Originally posted by <b>kflo</b>!
define big man?

some good shooting tall guys include:

peja - 6'10 for gods sake!

sam perkins

danny ferry's 6'10

brad lohaus

mcadoo

schrempf

terry mills

rashard lewis is 6'10

pete chilcutt

lafrenz

ewing was one of the best mid-range jumpshooters ever. all the guys you listed were quality shooters.
KFLO, I think you named them all and added to the initial list, that about covers it. :)
Elvin wasn't too bad either 15/17 feet and in.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Dirk Nowitski is the best I've seen. Sikma was a very good mid-range jump shooter but did not have 3 point range. Same for Willis Reed.

One guy who did have 3 point range and was a very good shooter from the top of the key was Dave Cowens.

If you want to go way back, Clyde Lovellette and Dolph Schayes were also great outside shooters.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Toni Kukoc deserves mention. He's listed at 6'11'' and shot over 40% from behind the arc from time to time as well as possessing a very strong mid-range jumper.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
What about Manute Bol? Haha, i know he never dominated in his career, but he did have an incredibly surprising outside shot.

·
Registered
338 Posts
well 6-9 is almost 6-10, so how about Larry Bird. He misses by an inch, and really played small forward, but his shooting record is untouchable by any other "big" player

1 - 20 of 30 Posts