Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Which rookies would you send to Summer league?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about this in the Andre Igoudala thread, and thought the better of hijacking that one.....

Every year it seems we throw our rookies into summer league games and give the veterans time off, or time to work on their own games individually.

Now each of our rookies have still glaring areas that need improvement.

For Ben Gordon, its defense and ballhandling (the latter, admittedly, is something he could hone in summer league by being forced to run the point).

For Deng, its ball handling and long range shooting

For Duhon, its Long range shooting.

For Nocioni, its long range shooting, ballhandling (if he's gonna bring the ball up on occasion, like he does, then he needs to work on this) and decision-making.......

But it seems to me, that these rookies are different from our rookies in the past, most notably because they are about to get a well earned crash course in intense playoff basketball. This may serve in some respects as OJT, but I don't think these issues can be addressed right now. I'm also not convinced, that the issues that our wings need to work on can be adequately addressed against inferior talent in summer league either. At the same time, I'm not convinced that it can be addressed at HOOPS (which is where a few of them will undoubtedly end up).....

Im not sure that I wouldn't make all the rookies NOT NAMED BEN GORDON, work with a specialized shooting coach for much of the summer. And I'm not sure that I wouldn't pair Gordon up with a Defensive coach, and pair everyone NOT NAMED Duhon up with a ballhandling insturctor......

That they will likely be playing after 05/01/05 only complicates matters.

What would you do with our rookies this offseason....??????:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,080 Posts
I wouldn't be suprised if everyone goes to the summer league this year. I dont see why they wouldn't go because the extra practice/game time will only make them better. Gordon could have a case made for not going but I wouldn't be suprised if they try to build up his endurance by sending him to the summer leagues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,975 Posts
The Bulls play summer league in vegas this year, and I happen to live in vegas. I was considering the idea of buying tickets, but after thinking on it, I realized the Bulls' team might be a bunch of nobodies and guys who'll never make the roster (maybe an IR slot). So why bother?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,287 Posts
PG-Jay Williams/Chris Duhon
SG-Kirk Hinrich/Ben Gordon
SF-Andres Nocioni/Luol Deng
PF-Tyson Chandler/Mario Austin
C- Eddy Curry/Jared Reiner

Lets go out and win a championship....of the summer league!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sloth said:
PG-Jay Williams/Chris Duhon
SG-Kirk Hinrich/Ben Gordon
SF-Andres Nocioni/Luol Deng
PF-Tyson Chandler/Mario Austin
C- Eddy Curry/Jared Reiner

Lets go out and win a championship....of the summer league!!!
I can't think of a set of circumstances that would cause me to send our bigs to summer league.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,533 Posts
I would probably send them all, Duhon, Ben, Noc and Deng could all use the summer to improve even more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,076 Posts
Don't send Noch. He'd get into a brawl with random 2nd round picks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,076 Posts
The Krakken said:
Ahahahahahaha!!! :clap:
Can't you picture it?

Scout: who the heck is #5?
GM: the guy with the bowl cut?
Scout: yeah
GM: [checks notebook] Oh... that's Nocioni from Argentina

Scout: why the heck is he trying so hard? he's got 4 fouls in the first half
GM: I don't know, its just summer league
Scout: [expletive] Nocioni....
 

·
Old-Timer
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
Noch doesn't need Summer League, he needs Ritalin. I agree with my partner-in-crime, superdave, that's it simply not a good idea. He'd take it way too seriously. I'd be afraid to even have Noch play at my family's annual softball game...my 60 year old uncle would end up in crutches.

I'm not sure how much it's going to help Ben playing against mostly borderline NBA players. It would be fun to see what he could do there, though. He might drop 100.

I'd send Duhon, because he can just shoot, shoot, shoot.

Depending on Deng's health, we might as well send him. Like Gordon, I'm not sure how much it will help, but he can at least shoot a lot.

We can fill up the roster with random undrafted guys. Maybe we can even bring in Thomas Hamilton, Krause-style. He's probably over 400 by now. That would be fun.

Andre Brown, Quemont Greer, Drake Diener. Let's make it an all-Depaul alumni summer league. What's David Booth up to these days? I bet he's game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
superdave said:
Can't you picture it?

Scout: who the heck is #5?
GM: the guy with the bowl cut?
Scout: yeah
GM: [checks notebook] Oh... that's Nocioni from Argentina

Scout: why the heck is he trying so hard? he's got 4 fouls in the first half
GM: I don't know, its just summer league
Scout: [expletive] Nocioni....
LOL! Yep I can. Worsse yet, I can only imagine the phone calls Pax would get for sending him...... :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:



:biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,076 Posts
PC Load Letter said:
Noch doesn't need Summer League, he needs Ritalin. I agree with my partner-in-crime, superdave, that's it simply not a good idea. He'd take it way too seriously. I'd be afraid to even have Noch play at my family's annual softball game...my 60 year old uncle would end up in crutches.

I'm not sure how much it's going to help Ben playing against mostly borderline NBA players. It would be fun to see what he could do there, though. He might drop 100.

I'd send Duhon, because he can just shoot, shoot, shoot.

Depending on Deng's health, we might as well send him. Like Gordon, I'm not sure how much it will help, but he can at least shoot a lot.

We can fill up the roster with random undrafted guys. Maybe we can even bring in Thomas Hamilton, Krause-style. He's probably over 400 by now. That would be fun.

Andre Brown, Quemont Greer, Drake Diener. Let's make it an all-Depaul alumni summer league. What's David Booth up to these days? I bet he's game.
Count me in for 'random undrafted guys' as well. I like a starting five of Powell, Ingrahm, Nick Smith, Fred Nkembi, and we can dust off Sergio McClain to run point. No joke, I heard he's up to 300 pounds or something like that. :eek8:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,189 Posts
Send Deng, Duhon, and Gordon. All 3 of those guys are young players who could use summer league to refine some of their skills, and that's exactly what summer league is good for. For example,

Gordon: Perfect chance to let him play 25-30 minutes a game at point guard. Let him get experience running the offense and setting up teammates more regularly.

Duhon: Let him play off the ball a little bit to get him in-game situations shooting the ball. Perfect chance to let him have a shoot-first mentality and see how he responds.

Deng: Perfect chance to run some plays specifically for him, such as isolations and post-ups. Down the road, I think he'll be tremendous in both of these scenarios, but he hasn't been ready to do this is real NBA games.

Does anyone disagree with me? Why?
 

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
Joined
·
36,839 Posts
I hear Eddie Robinson is still available. Sign him to summer league.

And send Noc.

And every practice or scrimmage, it is Noc's job to Chapu-ify E-Rob early and often.

That would be sweet.
 

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
Joined
·
6,181 Posts
I think Duhon and Nocioni should definately go. Both to gain some consistency, and because both players are expected to come off the bench. Nocioni has plenty of experience, but he still shows signs of needing to adapt to the NBA game much better (and he has done a very nice job of it lately).

Assuming we make it through a round in the playoffs, I think Gordon and Deng both will be given a break. Why risk injury to two of your young stars? Of course, if we get run over in the playoffs, I'm sure you'll see one if not both of them playing in the summer league.

I don't expect anyone else on the current team (outside of Reiner, Duhon, and Nocioni) to attend the summer league unless we take some unexpected fall in the playoffs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,189 Posts
Rhyder said:
I think Duhon and Nocioni should definately go. Both to gain some consistency, and because both players are expected to come off the bench. Nocioni has plenty of experience, but he still shows signs of needing to adapt to the NBA game much better (and he has done a very nice job of it lately).

Assuming we make it through a round in the playoffs, I think Gordon and Deng both will be given a break. Why risk injury to two of your young stars? Of course, if we get run over in the playoffs, I'm sure you'll see one if not both of them playing in the summer league.

I don't expect anyone else on the current team (outside of Reiner, Duhon, and Nocioni) to attend the summer league unless we take some unexpected fall in the playoffs.
If Deng and Gordon participate in summer league, it doesn't mean they're necessarily getting worked to death. They should be spending their summers working out and staying conditioned anyways, so playing in 8-10 meaningless games (and only around 25-30 minutes per game) shouldn't be a big deal. If anybody should get a break, it's Nocioni. He is one of the few Bulls to play in every game so far, and that's after playing a full summer at the 2004 Olympics. Plus he's like 24 or 25 years old, so I think summer league would be worthless for a guy of his age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,921 Posts
Curry and Chandler will be too expensive to send to summer league(if they get hurt), but why not send all the young guys. Kirk really has little to gain by playing third teir players so I would also keep him off.

Roster

Deng- summerleague MVP
Jayson Williams - it would be nice to see
Pargo
Duhon
Nocioni
Reiner
Austin
Tommy Smith
DEVIN BROWN

We shouldn't be looking to add more than 1-2 young players next year, so I don't think we should bring in too much fluff. Our guys are very young and could use some extra burn.

Noce is 25, and there is a good arguement for him not to go but I think he needs the work offensivly.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top