Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Who would you take?

  • Ron Artest (Pacers)

    Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Hedo Turkoglu (Kings)

    Votes: 19 40.4%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Oladipo for the people
Joined
·
48,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Artest or Hedo? I was having an argument in another thread about this and the majority went with Artest.

I pick Artest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Ron-Ron....
Tenacious D & Has a decent O game to go with it..
Bulls messed up on letting him go :cry: :no:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,561 Posts
Atest is the best Defensive player in the game and was 3rd in steals per game. uhhhh Hideeett Turkaloo well is not at Harrington's level so Artest wins. you guys should do Pollard vs. Foster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
If I have a team like the Mavs, I'd take Artest without a doubt. His D will complement the team scoring perfectly.

But most of the time, I would rather have a good offensive guy with tolerable defense over a great defensive player with ok offense. I think the guys with good O is always valued higher than guys with good D. I don’t think anyone would argue that Charles Barkely rates over Dennis Rodman in their prime.

I don’t think anyone would argue that Hedo has better offensive game than Artest.

Artest has never shot above .422 in his career, I don't think he'll ever be considered a good shooter. A good defender who can score, yes. A good scorer? No.

Hedo, on the other hand, has that dreaded word -- upside. He'll be a very good scorer one day. Right now, he is the 4th or 5th option on the Kings. If he gets 35mins a game where he is at least a 2nd or 3rd option, 17 ppt 5 rpg .440 fg% is not out of the question.

It’s a close call, but I pick Hedo over Artest. Offense over defense. Just like I’d pick Dirk Notwitzki over Ben Wallace.

Unless, of course, I have a team like the Mavs, in that case, I’ll pick Artest over Hedo.
 

·
Oladipo for the people
Joined
·
48,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thing is, Artests skill on defense is comparrable to Wallace. Hedos is nowhere close to Dirks. Artest is (maybe besides Wallace) the best defensive player in the game. Hedo is a good scorer. Comparable? Not even close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
First of all, Hedo is a good defender and rebounder, anybody who has knowledge of his game understands that. Anybody who doesn't think he is a good defender is merely going on racist stereotypes, rather than conclusive fact.

Secondly, I'll bring this thread up next year when Hedo has been given the chance to start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KingsMan7</b>!
First of all, Hedo is a good defender and rebounder, anybody who has knowledge of his game understands that. Anybody who doesn't think he is a good defender is merely going on racist stereotypes, rather than conclusive fact.

Secondly, I'll bring this thread up next year when Hedo has been given the chance to start.
I didn't see where anyone said Hedo was a bad defender, just not nearly the defender Artest is. And if someone doesn't think Hedo's a good defender then who the hell are you to say that they're racist? I don't think Ben Wallace is a good defender, he just gets a lot of rebounds and blocks a lot of shots because of his athleticism, but he's not a great man to man defender. Does that make me racist? By your standards it does.

LupinIV, you give Artest's career %'s and stats, and you for some reason come to the conclusion that he won't get any better. Why? Hedo's done just about exactly what Artest has done so far in the league offensively, and they're the same age, so why does one have so much potential and one is already at his offensive peak? Also, the stats you gave for possilble numbers in Hedo's prime are basically what Artest is doing right now, except a slightly higher shooting %. With comparable offensive games I don't see why you would take the inferior defender of the two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Originally posted by <b>moTIGS</b>!


I didn't see where anyone said Hedo was a bad defender, just not nearly the defender Artest is. And if someone doesn't think Hedo's a good defender then who the hell are you to say that they're racist? I don't think Ben Wallace is a good defender, he just gets a lot of rebounds and blocks a lot of shots because of his athleticism, but he's not a great man to man defender. Does that make me racist? By your standards it does.

LupinIV, you give Artest's career %'s and stats, and you for some reason come to the conclusion that he won't get any better. Why? Hedo's done just about exactly what Artest has done so far in the league offensively, and they're the same age, so why does one have so much potential and one is already at his offensive peak? Also, the stats you gave for possilble numbers in Hedo's prime are basically what Artest is doing right now, except a slightly higher shooting %. With comparable offensive games I don't see why you would take the inferior defender of the two.

The only reason they could possible come to the conclusion that Hedo is not a good defender is because of race. There is simply is no other eveidence to point to the contrary. He is big, he is athletic, he gets after people, tv commentators comment on this every game. Somebody needs to back up the fact that he doesn't play d before they state that he doesn't play d.

Stop following my posts.

I edited the insult. There is no reason to drag this thread down - BCH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
That's a pretty narrow minded comment. The ONLY possible way someone could come to that conclusion is because of his race? Well they could just have a different opinion than you. Being athletic doesn't make you a good defender necessarily. If people need to back up their opinions about his defense with facts why don't you back up your statement about his size with some facts?

Following your posts? What are you talking about? This is a messageboard, what you do is reply to people. And calling someone a moron is harrassment, and against the site's guidelines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,767 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KingsMan7</b>!



The only reason they could possible come to the conclusion, moron, that Hedo is not a good defender is because of race. There is simply is no other eveidence to point to the contrary. He is big, he is athletic, he gets after people, tv commentators comment on this every game. Somebody needs to back up the fact that he doesn't play d before they state that he doesn't play d.

Stop following my posts.
Man, you gotta stop insulting people like that. You can disagree without being disagreeable. I really hope what you're saying is true, kingsman, and I do think Turkoglu will be a nice player next year, but you gotta stop calling people morons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KingsMan7</b>!
euro's dont play d, an overused tired mantra.
Last time I checked there was no race called Euro's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Race and perceived racism should be left out of these discussions entirely. It is irrelevant. Let's just discuss people's arguments rationally.
On to another point. Someone (I can't remember who now) was saying that Turkoglu was going to start? I certainly haven't heard this anywhere. Whose place would he take?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
"Let me command your attention"

Originally posted by <b>KingsMan7</b>!
He's following my posts, trying to annoy me. I'll try to keep my composure better.
It's called having an arguement. I think one thing, you think another. I'm just defending my position and trying to understand yours. If you don't want people to "follow your posts," whatever that means, then don't post on a message board and don't use a sig that talks about commanding attention.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,447 Posts
Way to many people are taking Artest he's way to limited a player he's a hack box who can't shoot a lick yeah he's got defense but absolutley no court awareness, he just turns and jacks up long jumpers, I'll take Hedo I'm a Laker fan as some of you well no but Hedo can shoot the deep three ,hit the pull up jumper is athletic, and has solid defense, he's much more skillful than Artest is plain and simple, and will have a much better career than the headstrong Artest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Well then how do you explain the similar offensive stats? If Hedo's so much better at offense, and Artest just throws up wild shots, then why are their percentages similar?
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Top