Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the Warriors game now, I think Jiri's game is similar to Mike. What's your take guys?

Also, say given to pick one of them, which one would you take?

I'll still go with Jiri.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Jiri

Right now I'll take Jiri on the basis of salary.

Dunleavy has been in a bad situation in GS. He is not used to losing on a team full of guys trying to make a name for themselves. He is used to a classy coach and a solid team full of winners.

I think Dunleavy would flourish in the right situation. He may do very well in Boston..I would expect him to do just as well as Jiri has in Boston. If you put him on the Lakers or Spurs or Nets or even a team like Houston I think you would see a very different ball player.

I still think he will be very good no matter where he plays as he continues to mature to an NBA type player with an NBA type body.

But Jiri has found his home now.

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
You're asking this on a Celtics board. Jiri is going to win this one in a blow out. Its like when Magic fans came over here and started a T-Mac or Pierce thread over the summer.

Mike Dunleavy has been playing better thus far this season, but he's in his second season as a starter. Jiri is working on all of 234 minutes career, before this season. Jiri is a better shooter from the line, the field, and three, he's also getting more steals. He's doing all the things that scouts said Dunleavy could do and would be astounding at. I'm not up on Dunleavy's game to game performance, but I don't think he's reached astoundingness yet. Personally, I'd go with Jiri because he can play three positions and is a better shooter, particularly from three (48.1% to 34.5%). And because I like Jiri more. There's just something about the starting lineup introduction and the guy saying, "At forward, standing 6-7, from the Czech Republic, number 44, Jiriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Welsch." You don't get that with Dunleavy.

I can say that I would be interested to see what would happen if someone threw this up on the NBA board.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!Personally, I'd go with Jiri because he can play three positions and is a better shooter, particularly from three (48.1% to 34.5%). And because I like Jiri more. There's just something about the starting lineup introduction and the guy saying, "At forward, standing 6-7, from the Czech Republic, number 44, Jiriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Welsch." You don't get that with Dunleavy.
exactly.... plus Jiri is a superior defender and seems more poised..

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Celtics board or not, Dunleavy isn't good enough to carry Jiri's jock. Welsch is a much better all around player. Not only is Jiri a better shooter and defender, but try putting Dunleavy at point guard and see what happens lol.

Ainge said at the time he acquired Welsch that Jiri's lack of playing time in Golden State was "political." Dunleavy was the high draft pick, and the people responsible for that pick did not want to look bad.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
Celtics board or not, Dunleavy isn't good enough to carry Jiri's jock. Welsch is a much better all around player. Not only is Jiri a better shooter and defender, but try putting Dunleavy at point guard and see what happens lol.

Ainge said at the time he acquired Welsch that Jiri's lack of playing time in Golden State was "political." Dunleavy was the high draft pick, and the people responsible for that pick did not want to look bad.

Good post.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you all. No doubt that I will take Jiri anytime personally.

I just feel they have the same style, the difference is just Jiri can play PG position and run the offense, and Mike can't do that.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I love Dunleavy

And I think the Bulls made a HUGE mistake not taking him. But one point that JBone made cannot be overstated. Welsch is a pretty good defender, which makes all the difference.

And yes, Ainge does deserve a little bit of credit for this one. The trade doesn't look quite as lopsided when you consider him and a healthier LaFrentz next year.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Well I like them both and I think both will be really good players in this league. So given I think they are both talented and only beginning to show what they can do I'll take Jiri because of his ability to play the point and the fact that he's a C :D

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Dunleavy has more potential, but Jiri can be very good player also.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Originally posted by <b>adamatic</b>!
Anybody know what Jiri's current contract status is? Still playing on the rookie deal for a 16th selection I would imagine....
Yes. Team option at 2M for 2005-2006, qualifying offer in 2006-2007.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts