Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally this season was so f****d with so many things going wrong lets list them:

Banks sent back
Vlade Hurt
Rudy T leaving
Learning the Triangle on the run
Kobe Hurt

Thoes are all very significant things so personally its just one season and we will get a solid pick and i think next season we could be between 6th and 4th seed if we get a decent free agent.

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
Ugh, not me. We won't be getting a top 10 pick, and any player that we get beyond that won't have as huge of an impact as some here would like to believe. At the very best, we'd find ourselves a decent PG or a back-up big body. Nothing more.

On the contrary, missing out on the playoffs is bigger then some here think. We're the Lakers, and we have Kobe. Not only would this bring in a wave of negativity in the locker room, but the media will just pile on some more pressure for another year towards his leadership and ability to hold this franchise on his own back without Shaq.

Trust me, missing out on the playoffs will do much more bad then good to this team.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
I'd rather make the playoffs for sure, but if it's the only thing left to get excited about...sure, what the heck.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
It can be a decent consolation, but I don't want to go through this lottery thing every year, because it will get old extremely fast. A rookie can make a difference but I hope we all realize whatever kid we get in here won't be some kind of savior who's going to turn us from a mediocre team into a great team. However, the pick in tandem with some smart decisions from the front office and we can be a very good team next year. I'm not confident at all in the Laker scouts though.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Missing the playoffs would cause more harm than the 13th or 14th pick would do good. If you don't believe me, go look at who gets picked in those slots historically. Whatever rookie we draft won't be good enough to contribute more than 25 minutes a game.

Unless by excited you are talking about the Lakers chances of landing a top 3 pick, which is less than 2%.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
Assuming PJ is back next year, would he even play a rookie? We all now how he has handled them in the past (i.e. he doesn't play them!)

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Lakerman33 said:
Personally this season was so f****d with so many things going wrong lets list them:

Banks sent back
Vlade Hurt
Rudy T leaving
Learning the Triangle on the run
Kobe Hurt

Thoes are all very significant things so personally its just one season and we will get a solid pick and i think next season we could be between 6th and 4th seed if we get a decent free agent.
dude werent you the one who said dont give up..have faith....they will win? :raised_ey

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
madskillz1_99 said:
Assuming PJ is back next year, would he even play a rookie? We all now how he has handled them in the past (i.e. he doesn't play them!)
But how many lottery picks has Jackson ever had?

·
Registered
402 Posts
The day you are excited about a rookie who's going to impact a team is the day you should realize how much we have fallen from grace....

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
A lottery pick is a trading piece that makes improving the team an easier task. You can package it in a trade with other Laker players to get back a high impact player. You can use the pick on a 6th man (or if you're lucky enough, get a good starter out of the pick). You can trade up for a better pick, it happens all the time during the draft.

A lottery pick gives the Lakers a lot more flexibility than making the playoffs, getting swept, and losing the pick altogether. If they could make the playoffs without losing the pick, I'd love that, but that's not the case this year.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SoCalfan21 said:
dude werent you the one who said dont give up..have faith....they will win? :raised_ey

I said IF we dont win......

KEY WORD: IF

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
we have a chance at getting Felton and thats exciting to me because it gives a quick point guard who might actually be able to defend someone. We also can draft guys like Simien or Warrick which would make either Odom or Butler expendable if we can get equal quality in return at the center or point guard positions.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
DaBruins said:
we have a chance at getting Felton and thats exciting to me because it gives a quick point guard who might actually be able to defend someone. We also can draft guys like Simien or Warrick which would make either Odom or Butler expendable if we can get equal quality in return at the center or point guard positions.
None of those guys are going to turn around the Lakers. Simien is a one dimensional player, like Corliss Williamson or Maurice Taylor. Warrick is a tweener, he doesn't have PF size or SF ball skills. At best he is equal to Butler. Felton is a talented player but you are fooling yourself if you think either Jackson or Hamblem start him over Atkins.

Every year fans get over-hyped about draft prospects going into the draft.

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
Jamel Irief said:
None of those guys are going to turn around the Lakers. Simien is a one dimensional player, like Corliss Williamson or Maurice Taylor. Warrick is a tweener, he doesn't have PF size or SF ball skills. At best he is equal to Butler. Felton is a talented player but you are fooling yourself if you think either Jackson or Hamblem start him over Atkins.

I totally agree. These guys aren't just gonna turn us around, it will take more then a rookie that'll average 25-30 minutes a night to turn us into the "contenders" that some fans would like us to be.

There are some nice players out there, but the way to go this season is to pick up some solid players to compliment Kobe, Odom and Butler. Our team isn't that bad as we already have a solid superstar, but we lack a more consistent 2nd option, and also some big bodies that'll be enforcers in the paint both on the defensive and offensive parts of the game.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
theLegend said:
I totally agree. These guys aren't just gonna turn us around, it will take more then a rookie that'll average 25-30 minutes a night to turn us into the "contenders" that some fans would like us to be.
I also agree.
There are few chances that the lakers will come up with a gem in the draft. And a gem is what we need. So, i'm not at all excited about it, unless, like EHL said, it would be high enough to package it in a trade for a starter.

My thinking is all about trades this next off-season...

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Jamel Irief said:

Felton or Jack would easily start over Atkins, at worst they'd wait a few weeks on the bench before proving they're better than Atkins. Hell, that's assuming Atkins isn't traded this summer, he is a $5M last year contract this season.

Sorry, but IMO, Felton is the next Baron Davis, or Baron Davis lite if you will. More undersized, but similarly great court vision, just as quick and almost as strong, and 10 times the better attitude and shot selection. Not the scorer Baron was, but he also doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective, making him a great fit with Kobe.

It's like passing up on Marvin Williams; sure, the guy is a tweener, but Williams may turn out to be the best player in the draft this year if he applies. You don't turn down superstars just because they don't fit your team. Felton both 1) fits the team (Lakers need a PG) and 2) could be a superstar, or something close to it.

25-30 mpg starting out as a rookie will change the team noticably, though obviously not into contenders. Contention will take another solid piece at the 4.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
EHL said:
Felton or Jack would easily start over Atkins, at worst they'd wait a few weeks on the bench before proving they're better than Atkins. Hell, that's assuming Atkins isn't traded this summer, he is a $5M last year contract this season.

Sorry, but IMO, Felton is the next Baron Davis, or Baron Davis lite if you will. More undersized, but similarly great court vision, just as quick and almost as strong, and 10 times the better attitude and shot selection. Not the scorer Baron was, but he also doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective, making him a great fit with Kobe.

It's like passing up on Marvin Williams; sure, the guy is a tweener, but Williams may turn out to be the best player in the draft this year if he applies. You don't turn down superstars just because they don't fit your team. Felton both 1) fits the team (Lakers need a PG) and 2) could be a superstar, or something close to it.

25-30 mpg starting out as a rookie will change the team noticably, though obviously not into contenders. Contention will take another solid piece at the 4.
I'm not going to argue their abilities (I especially like Jack) but I don't think there is anyway either of them will get the nod over Atkins IF Hamblem or Jackson are coaching. That's even if they are better players (they clearly are). With another coach it could be different. I'm pretty sure Banks wouldn't be starting over Atkins if they were both here either, and you guys were raving non-stop about him. When Rush was a rookie Phil had him playing behind Tracy Murray for gods sake. He didn't start even start Toni Kukoc as a rookie, starting Pete freaking Myers instead. Since you compared Felton to Baron Davis, I'm sure you'll remember that Davis backed up Wesley his rookie season.

I'm calling it right now, if the Lakers get a lottery pick said rookie will not average more than 25 mpg, and will not exceed 18 mpg if he is a forward, if Jackson or Hamblem are the coaches.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Jamel Irief said:
I'm not going to argue their abilities (I especially like Jack) but I don't think there is anyway either of them will get the nod over Atkins IF Hamblem or Jackson are coaching. That's even if they are better players (they clearly are). With another coach it could be different. I'm pretty sure Banks wouldn't be starting over Atkins if they were both here either, and you guys were raving non-stop about him.
Banks isn't half the player Felton or Jack are, all the defensive tools and none of the offensive tools. Jackson/Hamblin not starting Banks over Atkins? Absolutely, I could see that happening. Felton and Jack behind Atkins? Hard to believe for more than a few weeks/months. At worst, they still get 20 mpg without starting. Jackson/Hamblin aren't dumb.

When Rush was a rookie Phil had him playing behind Tracy Murray for gods sake. He didn't start even start Toni Kukoc as a rookie, starting Pete freaking Myers instead. Since you compared Felton to Baron Davis, I'm sure you'll remember that Davis backed up Wesley his rookie season.
I remember all those things. But guess what, it didn't last long, they were too good to not be starters. As I said before, I could see both initially not starting. Doesn't mean they won't start and be big, big pieces in the near future.

I'm calling it right now, if the Lakers get a lottery pick said rookie will not average more than 25 mpg, and will not exceed 18 mpg if he is a forward, if Jackson or Hamblem are the coaches.
That's certainly possible. At most it lasts the first season.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts