Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Wow...that's certainly no good. We've got them in the ESPN tipoff marathon (10AM game), and that was supposed to be at least a decent game in terms of our SOS. Might not be the case anymore.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Fordham has them on the schedule. I'll take any advantage we can get. We beat them last year at home, but I expect a much tougher game on road and I suspect they won't be taking us for granted this time around.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
How the F do you cheat on a take home final exam?

Harvard dummies are no different than any other school's dummies I guess....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

By collaborating with other students on it. The point of a take-home exam is to prove you're capable of finding needed answers when you have access to the right information. Not everyone will always come up with the same exact answers, especially if a lot of it involved essays or free-form responses.

They probably had a lot of written portions on the exam being extremely close (or exactly the same) as other students in the class.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

From what the article says, it seems the expectation was that the final would be done individually. The article states that they "may have committed acts of academic dishonesty, ranging from inappropriate collaboration to outright plagiarism, on a take-home final exam."

And for all we know someone who is very serious about the honor code, or concerned about their class rank, told on them.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I particularly like the last paragraph:
"The exam instructions said it was “completely open book, open note, open Internet, etc.” Some students asked whether there was a fundamental contradiction between telling students to use online resources, but not to discuss the test with each other."

It does seem contradictory. Just go online, open a forum (or use an existing one) and discuss it with anonymous people, a.k.a. your classmates, just don't do it in person.

·
Registered
880 Posts
And for all we know someone who is very serious about the honor code, or concerned about their class rank, told on them.
Most honor codes equate looking the other way on others cheating with cheating yourself. You don;t have to be a super-serious or supercilious nerd to take care of business.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I particularly like the last paragraph:
"The exam instructions said it was “completely open book, open note, open Internet, etc.” Some students asked whether there was a fundamental contradiction between telling students to use online resources, but not to discuss the test with each other."

It does seem contradictory. Just go online, open a forum (or use an existing one) and discuss it with anonymous people, a.k.a. your classmates, just don't do it in person.
I don't think it'd be that hard to draw a distinction between pre-existing resources and participating in a discussion on a forum, particularly if that discussion was initiated to discuss that exam question specifically. The article says not to "discuss with others", not just classmates, which could help draw a distinction.

Of course, we all know that some of these students are now trying to get off on a technicality of wording, despite clearly violating the spirit of the rules. Namely that their answers would involve them actually thinking about the question and giving original insight based on the resources they'd found. The comments in the nytimes article were particularly revealing. Those students who were really just guilty of drawing the same conclusions from similar lecture notes will likely not be punished and their answers to questions should reveal their original/unique, if overlapping, thoughts on the topic.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
By collaborating with other students on it. The point of a take-home exam is to prove you're capable of finding needed answers when you have access to the right information. Not everyone will always come up with the same exact answers, especially if a lot of it involved essays or free-form responses.

They probably had a lot of written portions on the exam being extremely close (or exactly the same) as other students in the class.
Ther was a little hyperbole in my original statement so I will restate:

How the F do you cheat on a take home final exam? Every answer is out there for you, so you (they) felt the need to copy off of each other? That is the epitome of stupid....... (and lazy).

·
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
21,701 Posts
Ther was a little hyperbole in my original statement so I will restate:

How the F do you cheat on a take home final exam? Every answer is out there for you, so you (they) felt the need to copy off of each other? That is the epitome of stupid....... (and lazy).
I had a take-home exam in a 200-level physics class at Richmond that was totally, utterly brutal. I spent 30 hours on that thing and I still failed. Granted I did not really have the help of a mature Internet as it was 1994.

I remember one question from it that was roughly: Derive a formula for the lowest energy harmonic oscillator from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. In my answer, I failed to account for cases where the mass is equal to 0. And professor marked the whole answer wrong as a result. There was no partial credit for answers. I got only 1 answer out of 5 perfectly correct (yes 20%).

This and the class readings had been entirely philosophy books written by physicists, while term papers were focused on famous experiments in physics.

Professor developed a notorious reputation for failing students and did not end up getting tenure thank goodness, though he is now at another university in Virginia that shall go nameless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts