Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

who's more naturally gifted, talented?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who do you think people between lebron and t-mac, who's more naturally gifted, talented?

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
As amazing an overall package of skills and physical abilities as McGrady is, James simply seems superior. He has McGrady's size, quickness and hops and yet is more powerful. He's a great slasher, a better passer and a slightly better rebounder. The only thing he doesn't currently have on McGrady is McGrady's shot. McGrady's mid-range and perimeter shooting is better when contested than James'. But James so far has more than compensated for that with probably the best shot selection in the game.

If he ever becomes the shooter McGrady is, there will be no stopping him at any point.

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
I'm gonna go with Tmac. I'm a huge Lebron fan, but i just feel that Tmac is a real special talent. (so is James, but Tmac could be one of the most naturally gifted players in the history of the nba)

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Lebron's got a PG's game in Karl Malone's body. That's an unbeatable combination.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Even though I'm not a LeBron fan I have to go with him. His skills for his age are really amazing. He has such court awareness and his body is already matured. Also, a triple threat in that he can score,rebound, and pass. If he just works at his game and learns from his mistakes he could go down as a legend.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Pan Mengtu said:
Jumping-shooting is not a talent, it's a skill. Talents are the born qualities, skills are learned through practice.
Jump-shooting is both. There's a natural talent for hand-eye coordination which is a born quality. Whatever hand-eye coordination one possesses for shooting can be further honed by practice.

Just anyone can't shoot like Ray Allen, regardless of how much practice they put in.

·
bbb
4,548 Posts
Lbj

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
While Lebron is the more physically gifted of the two (pretty comparable athleticism, but Lebron's obviously much stronger), watching both of them play I still can't help but say that Tmac is the most naturally talented player in the game. He always looks in rhythm, and he's always been a great finisher and a natural shooter (not saying he didn't work on this at all), something Lebron is developing quickly.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
Minstrel said:
Jump-shooting is both. There's a natural talent for hand-eye coordination which is a born quality. Whatever hand-eye coordination one possesses for shooting can be further honed by practice.

Just anyone can't shoot like Ray Allen, regardless of how much practice they put in.
Hand eye coordination? How is that useful for jumpshooters? Hand eye coordination is important for tasks that involve quick movements like swinging a baseball bat or playing a video game. I'm sure shooting a jumpshot does use hand eye coordination on some level, every physical task probably uses it somewhat, but I don't think it's very important. Not enough to make much of a difference between different people's jumpshot.

I disagree that not everyone can shoot like Ray Allen. Not everyone can jump into view of the basket like Ray Allen, or release the ball as quickly, but that's all part of athleticism. The shooting motion itself is something that people can, and have, learned to do. Michael Redd is an example of a good jumpshooter who got that way purely by practice.

·
4,361 Posts
This is really tough one, I think. They are both are said to be the type that lets the game come to them and rarely force anything. T-Mac has more agility, Bron has more strength. Watching him play, I see T-Mac making tons of impressive shots, and he's a contortionist with the way he slips past and through defenders. These are things you know LeBron can't do nearly as well. Then when you see how effortlessly Bron reads the defense and sets up easy plays for team mates, and dunks with so much power, you know those are things T-Mac can't do. Its a toss up... Just an aside, over the past month, note that T-Mac has been the #1 player in the league. He's still far from done getting better.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts