Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Honestly- Andriuskevicious's stock is supposed to fall by draft night, just because most people (or in particular writer of this article) can't spell his name correctly??

Nemanja is still considered as top5 (if not even top3) lock whenever he appears, the fact that some draft sites lowered his stock in their mock's is due to the fact that he didn't perform up to expectations... but he neither received much of a chance...
Teams are still drafting looking at potential- and Nemanja is one of top picks there...

·
Registered
375 Posts
ehmunro said:
Fair enough, Crimson, but you'll need to wait for the official Draft Mockery to see where I'm projecting players to go. Since TrueBlue posted that other as an article I'm sure he'll put my Draft Mockery up, too.
Cool... I'll be looking forward to that...

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Matiz said:
Honestly- Andriuskevicious's stock is supposed to fall by draft night, just because most people (or in particular writer of this article) can't spell his name correctly??
There's no "O" in Andriuskevicius, mate, which makes this the ironic comment of the day. Remember, boys and girls, always double check those Slavonic name spellings. Otherwise you end up looking like Matiz here. ;)

Matiz said:
Nemanja is still considered as top5 (if not even top3) lock whenever he appears, the fact that some draft sites lowered his stock in their mock's is due to the fact that he didn't perform up to expectations... but he neither received much of a chance...
Teams are still drafting looking at potential- and Nemanja is one of top picks there...
Honestly I think he's likely to go in the 8-12 range. You don't, fine. Get back to me on draft night after he's selected.

·
Registered
793 Posts
always double check those Slavonic name spellings.
for god's sake.... first of all- it's you making fun of his surname, looked like as it is the reason his stock would drop, you are kind of trying to here, not me...

and the worst is you're trying to sound smart, while being too freaking ignorant to sound that way: it's not slavonic, it's slavic, and second of all, Lithuanians have nothing in common with slavic people and are actually talking a tottaly different language... :dead:

some other time, try writing something you are actually competent about...

Honestly I think he's likely to go in the 8-12 range. You don't, fine. Get back to me on draft night after he's selected.
and you THINK that based on what?... his games?...
I think by working for draftcity i was able to read loads of informations you can't get- and Aleksandrov not dropping below no.5 is one of them :wink:

please explain me what in his game makes you believe Aleksandrov is not top5 potential, and where have you learned that +sources might be handy here as well- I will be really happy to explain my views on it...

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Matiz said:
for god's sake.... first of all- it's you making fun of his surname, looked like as it is the reason his stock would drop, you are kind of trying to here, not me...
There is still no "O" in Andriuskevicius. And for the record, I presumed that the "...and don't even get me started on the whole 'big, lumbering Lithuanian' thing," made it pretty clear as to why I felt his stock would drop. His biggest selling points are his height and the fact that he's been tutored by Arvydas Sabonis. But he isn't a terribly athletic 7'3" and Sabonis hasn't been tutoring him long enough. So, do I see him as a top 5 pick? Sorry, sign me up for 6-12 {hell, even Draft City has him going 6th}.

and the worst is you're trying to sound smart, while being too freaking ignorant to sound that way: it's not slavonic, it's slavic
I suppose I could have used the word Teutonic, but then everyone would have stared blankly. Pity that Andriuskevicius isn't Estonian, then I could have said "Uralic" and really screwed you up. Of course, people would still have stared blankly.

EDIT: I suppose what's messing you up is the Proto-Indo-European language tree, Lithuanian is part of what's called the Slavonic branch, specifically the Teutonic sub family that includes Lithuaniuan, Latvian, and Prussian (yes, there used to be a Prussian language). The other branch of the family is the Slavic branch. Checking with a linguist friend at U. Missouri I've been informed that the Slavonic branch is now usually called the Balto-Slavic branch (to clear up confusion between Slavic, Slavonic, & the Slavic liturgical language Old Church Slavonic, I'm guessing). I should have rechecked before making the comment, though. My last archeology course was 20 years ago, and back then they still referred to that branch of the Proto-Indo-European tree as Slavonic.

some other time, try writing something you are actually competent about...
Right back at you kiddo. The next time you insult someone's intelligence, make certain that you've spelled everything correctly. It just makes you look stupid.

Matiz said:
That's where it started. If you dislike insults, it's best not to offer them in the first place.

I think by working for draftcity i was able to read loads of informations you can't get- and Aleksandrov not dropping below no.5 is one of them :wink:
Possibly. Possibly not. I get accounts from people that watch him play and know what at least one NBA team thinks of him. Based on that I can easily see him sliding out of the top 5. Like I said, get back to me draft night after he's been selected. And, hey, for a site convinced that he's a top 5 pick, I don't see him on either the 2005 or 2006 mocks. So, I guess the rest of the guys there aren't listening to you. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
ehmunro said:
There is still no "O" in Andriuskevicius.
Thats right.

EDIT: I suppose what's messing you up is the Proto-Indo-European language tree, Lithuanian is part of what's called the Slavonic branch, specifically the Teutonic sub family that includes Lithuaniuan, Latvian, and Prussian (yes, there used to be a Prussian language). The other branch of the family is the Slavic branch. Checking with a linguist friend at U. Missouri I've been informed that the Slavonic branch is now usually called the Balto-Slavic branch (to clear up confusion between Slavic, Slavonic, & the Slavic liturgical language Old Church Slavonic, I'm guessing). I should have rechecked before making the comment, though. My last archeology course was 20 years ago, and back then they still referred to that branch of the Proto-Indo-European tree as Slavonic.
You arent right here. Slavonic (or Slavic, dont know exact terms in English)and Baltic languages are 2 different groups, 2 different branches. Baltic languages are Lithuanian, Latvian and dead Prussian and this branch goes directly to Indo-European language tree. Theres no sub family between Baltic languages and Indo-European. Im Lithuanian and I know that ;)

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Fine, fine, make me IM my friend in the middle of the night for another question. According to her you're wrong. She sent me a link to the present Proto-Indo-European language tree. I clearly see a "Balto-Slavic" branch at ten o'clock on the Proto-Indo-European base. :p

Zalgirinis said:
Slavonic (or Slavic, dont know exact terms in English)and Baltic languages are 2 different groups
Slavonic used to indicate the language that the Baltic and Slavic language families came from, and Slavic referred to the proto-language that spawned the dozens of languages in its sub branch. Now it's called Balto-Slavic (and I've been taken to task for using outdated terms by my linguist friend), but there is still a common ancestor language that the Slavic and Baltic languages came from. However, given your country's history with Russia I can clearly see why you'd want to distance yourself. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Ok, you may be partially right, but its only the way of putting languages into branches or trees. In reality Baltic languages differ very much from Slavic.

Now I found this link. As you see theres even Baltic-Slavic-Germanic branch showed. But in the end Baltic and Slavic languages are showed as two different groups and they are only later made into one branch. Probably because of geographic proximity, but not the similarities of languages.

EDIT. Its again the thing of classification. The one puts it as he wants to.
http://www.ethnologue.com//show_family.asp?subid=774

·
Registered
793 Posts
I don't care, which branch Lithuanian language belongs to, the point is, they are talking a different language, and I don't uinderstand them sh*t, while there is not erally a big problem to understand most other slavic languages (at least most of it)

His biggest selling points are his height and the fact that he's been tutored by Arvydas Sabonis. But he isn't a terribly athletic 7'3" and Sabonis hasn't been tutoring him long enough. So, do I see him as a top 5 pick? Sorry, sign me up for 6-12 {hell, even Draft City has him going 6th}.
and what about his mobility, everybody are raging about it- the point is that he is 7'3, but he would never be considered as high draft pick if there wasn't for his mobility... considering lack of centers in NBA, Andriuskevicius should not drop below top3-5 on the draft day

Right back at you kiddo. The next time you insult someone's intelligence, make certain that you've spelled everything correctly. It just makes you look stupid.
haha... kiddo a...
using the age is the most often attempt on the internet how to discredit a certain person... pathetic

Possibly. Possibly not. I get accounts from people that watch him play and know what at least one NBA team thinks of him. Based on that I can easily see him sliding out of the top 5. Like I said, get back to me draft night after he's been selected. And, hey, for a site convinced that he's a top 5 pick, I don't see him on either the 2005 or 2006 mocks. So, I guess the rest of the guys there aren't listening to you.
I actually stoped working there, because I got aware of some background games by one manager in my 2nd favourite club, and resigned than... I guess they put him out, since he happen to be injured for sth. like 2-3 weeks now, whatever is the reason don't worry, a talent like him can't drop below top5

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Zalgirinis said:
Ok, you may be partially right, but its only the way of putting languages into branches or trees. In reality Baltic languages differ very much from Slavic.
Well they would differ drastically as the languages would have been severed by a couple of millennia. Having been forced to search further I found a Lithuanian professor that makes a case for the similarities being purely geographic and that proto-Balt is a lone offshoot of Indo-European (rather than an offshoot of a more distant common ancestor) and another that goes even further in the same vein. However, it's still a minority opinion.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Matiz said:
I don't care, which branch Lithuanian language belongs to, the point is, they are talking a different language, and I don't uinderstand them sh*t, while there is not erally a big problem to understand most other slavic languages (at least most of it)
Slavic languages can differ rather drastically. Czech is quite different from Russian, for example.

Matiz said:
and what about his mobility, everybody are raging about it- the point is that he is 7'3, but he would never be considered as high draft pick if there wasn't for his mobility... considering lack of centers in NBA, Andriuskevicius should not drop below top3-5 on the draft day
There is no way in Utah that Andriuskevicius cracks the top 3 of any draft that includes Andrew Bogut, Chris Paul, and Marvin Williams. Nobody is that desperate for a center that they reject an all star just to grab the illegitimate son of Luc Longley. Sorry. His selling point remains that he's 7'3", and hopefully will learn to play hoops. Marvin Williams has a whole lot more to sell NBA teams.

haha... kiddo a...
using the age is the most often attempt on the internet how to discredit a certain person... pathetic
The lesson remains, if you don't want to be insulted, it's best not to insult others as a conversation opener. Especially when you're claiming that they're too stupid to correctly spell a name that you've just misspelled. That goes double when the person you've called an idiot did spell the name properly. Got it? Good.

Matiz said:
I actually stoped working there, because I got aware of some background games by one manager in my 2nd favourite club, and resigned than... I guess they put him out, since he happen to be injured for sth. like 2-3 weeks now, whatever is the reason don't worry, a talent like him can't drop below top5
Sure he can, it happens all the time. Some of us knew that Big Al Jefferson was NBA ready before last years draft and he slipped to 15. For all his defensive deficiencies Zach Randolph's a major talent and he slipped to 19. In 1998 Vince Carter was considered a favourite to be the number 1 pick and went fifth, Dirk Nowitzki went ninth and Paul Pierce, a consensus top 3 talent, slid to tenth. It happens every single year without fail.If it didn't, nobody would have bothered starting the thread on the draft board that TrueBlue culled my article from. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts