Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lakers have made their way to the 3rd straight championship. But like all great teams, their reign will eventually end. Shaq or Phil will have to eventually call it quits. When that happens which team will step up and win the crown? Will the East ever be able to produce a dynasty caliber team? Or will a team like Sacramento become the top dog. Interested in others thoughts.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Im going to go with the obvious the Kings. No question in my mind that if LA played the Kings in the playoffs next year, the kings would take it. (provided both teams have the same lineups)

Kings should of won it this year if it was not for the refs. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT EVEN YOU LAKER FANS.

The Lakers are showing they are not un-beatable unlike the previous 2 years. I cant wait until the Kings knock them off next year or the nets this year. On second thought I will just wait for the Kings.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
One of my biggest pet peaves is when people place blame on the officials. If the Kings were clearly better than the Lakers, then they would not have been in the position of letting the officials decide it. They weren't. Both teams must have been pretty equal since it went to overtime of the 7th game. An overtime in which the Lakers were 10x better than the Kings...on the Kings homecourt. The Kings had their chance to win it, the Lakers were just the better team, it wasn't the officials fault.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Originally posted by jvanbusk
One of my biggest pet peaves is when people place blame on the officials. If the Kings were clearly better than the Lakers, then they would not have been in the position of letting the officials decide it. They weren't. Both teams must have been pretty equal since it went to overtime of the 7th game. An overtime in which the Lakers were 10x better than the Kings...on the Kings homecourt. The Kings had their chance to win it, the Lakers were just the better team, it wasn't the officials fault.
To say the officials did not stack the odds against the Kings is a under-statement. People who think the Lakers won fair and sqaure are either very biased LA fans or they have gone bananas.

The kings were the better team no question. The players did not decide the outcome of the game the Refs did. Im not even a Kings fan but anyone who does not see how the Kings were robbed is nuts. How could the Kings put themselve into the position to win when the Lakers received 27 foul shots in the 4th quarter alone.

When Pollard did not even touch Shaq and got fouled out, Then Divac's 5th foul did not touch Shaq (watch the tape), elbow to the face no-call, 20 fouls on the Kings big men and 3 on Shaq in game 6, I can go on forever. I know you know everyone knows that this game was either pre-determined by the NBA or the refs just wanted LA to win.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't think you can tell by now because in the summer of 2003 there will be some major free agent signings and I know the Orlando Magic will sign atleast 1 huge superstar and it will be a power forward or a center, I am very optimistic about oru chances of becoming atleast a championship caliber team in the next three years.

Another team I would be looking at is the T'Wolves and Raptors. I know the Raps & Magic fans have a love/hate relationship because of T-Mac but seriously I am a huge fan of many of their players such as Keon Clark, Mo P & Vince Carter. I think they have just as much as a chance as Orlando does as coming out #1 seed in the East next time around.

OK. now on to the Western conference, offcourse the Kings. Kings have Mike Bibby who has become a top 5 point guard in the league after his stellar performances in the off-season and I am sure we'll be praising him all year long for a few seasons. It's about time we see what the guy can do it a legit team unlike his former Grizzlies. I may surprise alot of people with this pick but mark my words on the T'Wolves. I just love this team because when they get their act together, they are alike like my Orlando Magic version of the West. I wish them the best of luck, it might be a good idea for them to go for a big man to compliment Garnett.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
You really think that the officials were out to make the Kings lose? Come on....

"How could the Kings put themselve into the position to win when the Lakers received 27 foul shots in the 4th quarter alone."

Maybe if they didn't committ the fouls to put the Lakers at the line. The better question is, how can a team get totally blown out of the overtime period in the most important game of the year playing on their home court?

I have NEVER been a fan of the Lakers. I really don't care for the Lakers. In fact, I wanted to see the Kings win. But, when they just didn't get the job done. Next year, maybe they will.

I can understand saying the refs were a reason the Kings lost one day after the games ended, but it's been a week or so now. Time enough to look back on the games and say, "You know what...if we played to our fullest capacities...if Peja was 100%...if Bibby wasn't the only one not afraid to take a shot...

AND NOT...

"Those darned refs, I can't believe they blew it for us....The NBA wanted the Lakers to win...The officials cheated..."

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Something you have to realize is that the Kings were a young, inexperienced team going up against the two-time defending champs. You can't under-estimate experience in a crucial game 7. I know the Kings had home court, but they had never been in that situation. They will have another chance next year...

As for the officials, I tend to agree that game 6 was just horrendous. 27 foul shots in one quarter is almost unheard of. You say that the Kings should just stop fouling? That is the whole basis of this discussion. Many of the fouls called were questionable, especially in the 4th quarter, with most of them going in the Lakers favor....

Now, to say that the officials have no bearing on the game is ludicrous. However, the refs did not alone cause the Kings to lose the series. Sure you can look at stats and say FT's killed them, but what killed them more was indecision down the stretch. How is that corrected? With experience.....

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Unfortunately this is not a perfect world. Humans make errors. The refs are humans. They will make blunders every once and awhile. They are not going to make the best call 100% of the time. But, to say the refs were out to purposely get the Lakers in the finals is whats 'ludicrous'. The superior team will be able to overcome officiating if it's not in their favor. The Kings didn't, hence, they were not the superior team. The Lakers were the better team for that series.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts