Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion I believe Chris Duhon is..

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
all i know was everyone said..

battier was a god on defense and he came into the league and got lit up like a christmas tree by kobe and mj

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Right now it is Chris Duhon.

I agree the Battier was one of the best defenders ever if not the best

·
Registered
67 Posts
the best ever that i seen was stacey augmon. the plastic man used to put everybody that he went up against down. that's why unlv was so good back then, him & greg anthony are one of the best defensive duo's ever at the college level.

rite now i would say the best defender is emeka okafor. 138 blocks as a freshman, that is sick.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Does Okafor play defense, or just block shots?

138 is a huge number for any year, not just a freshman season. Hell, that's a career for most people. But did he actually hold his opponents to low point totals or did he just block shots?

Battier was a good defender, but the best ever? Please, no way. I'd have to agree that Stacey Augmon is one of the best, even though I never really saw him in his prime. I've heard so much about him though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Duhon may be the most overrated player in the history of the ACC. Come on guys. He got killed by Delvon Arrington of FSU. Arrington went by Duhon like he was on ice skates. Arrington wasn't even thought of as a possible draft pick. Kentucky's Cliff Hawkins looked like a superstar against Duhon. With all the scorers on UK's team last year, he was the one keeping them in the game down the stretch. I don't even think he is the best defender on his team. I'd give that award to Dahntay Jones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i agree with uncstateguy..dahntay jones is DEFINITELY a better defeneder than duhon..did you see him shut down juan dixon in that one md-duke game?! that was SICK! although i love juan dixon (from MD..going there..GO TERPS!!)...but yea, i'd take jones over duhon to put on the best opposing player ANY day

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: all i know was everyone said..

Originally posted by <b>grizzoistight</b>!
battier was a god on defense and he came into the league and got lit up like a christmas tree by kobe and mj
I never thought Battier was a great ONE on ONE defender..He was a great help defender with great awareness..and why he was guarding Kobe is beyond me...

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree that Duhon is WAY OVERRATED on D. I think the best defender would have to be UCONN's Emeka Okafor. Also Chris Jeffries (2002 first round pick) from Fresno St. was a stud on D for the Bulldogs as was John Linehan at Providence.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I think Juan Dixon was the best while he was in college but now I'd have to go with Okafor.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
re:

Bill Walton is the greatest NCAA defender of all time, that's why when LaRue Martin scored 18 points against him in the NCAA Tournament, Martin was drafted #1 by Portland in 1972 (he's regarded the worst #1 of all time, he played only one game and did not play again and it wasn't becuase of injury, he was cut).
The best defender in the NCAA right now is a tie, Emeka Okafor is the best weak side defender but he has holes, the tie is between Desmond Farmer of USC and Jonas Hayes of Georgia. Farmer reminds me of Stacey Augmon in the way he moves and Hayes the younger bro of Jarvis is a great on ball post defender.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Here are mine in no real order, there are some that will be great defenders and some that are already, but I did not mention the guys you already talked about, here are the rest.

Jackie Manuel: Big tall, cat quick, good feet, could be a premire SG defender in the furture for the Heels.

James Thomas: Anyone that defends players that are 3-5 inches taller than him and out weigh him by 30-60 lbs, I think that is a great defender, great against bigger players at the 5 spot.

Channing Frye: Real good shot blocker, he is right up there with Okafor.

Eric and Derrick Craven: Probably the best defenders at PG, really athletic and very quick, but I just could not remember which one was better.

Antione Pettaway: Pretty small and skinny, but he is the best on the ball defender in college basketball, very very quick and moves his feet side to side really well.

Justin Hamilton: He is a great defender, even guarded Prince last year and he is only like 6-3 an Prince is 7-0.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Top defenders in college basketball.
-Dhantay Jones
-Chris Duhon
-Brandin Knight
-Julius Page
-Emeka Okafor
-Jason Fraser
-David West

·
Registered
814 Posts
WHAT?

where is melvin sanders?
he locked down on hollis price, held him to 6 points in the victory over OU. he was 2-14 from the floor and 1-6 from 3 (he averages 20 and that is his only single digit point effort all year). that is just an example. he does this game in and game and game out. he is always on the opposing teams best player. he always holds them well below their averages

he was called the best defender in the nation by his coach, eddie sutton. who is coaching his 1000th D1 game tonight and with the win will be his 720th win.

he was a track star in HS (recorded a 7'2'' highjump), NOTE: he can sky... averages about 13 pts a game.

and you guys dont even mention him....
what a shame....

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Originally posted by <b>º(\/)‡§†Ä !ßñº</b>!
In my opinion I believe Chris Duhon is..

Chris Duhon isn't even the best defender on his team.

I believe Dahntay Jones may be the best all-around defender in the country. He will guard anyone from the point guard to the power forward. He isn't a guy that is going to wow you with defensive statistics, but he can absolutely lock opponents down. He is just absolutely demoralizing, and he really gets into his opponent's head. Not only is he a great defender, but he might be the most intimidating player in college basketball.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Originally posted by <b>OZZY</b>!
Here are mine in no real order, there are some that will be great defenders and some that are already, but I did not mention the guys you already talked about, here are the rest.

Jackie Manuel: Big tall, cat quick, good feet, could be a premire SG defender in the furture for the Heels.

James Thomas: Anyone that defends players that are 3-5 inches taller than him and out weigh him by 30-60 lbs, I think that is a great defender, great against bigger players at the 5 spot.

Channing Frye: Real good shot blocker, he is right up there with Okafor.

Eric and Derrick Craven: Probably the best defenders at PG, really athletic and very quick, but I just could not remember which one was better.

Antione Pettaway: Pretty small and skinny, but he is the best on the ball defender in college basketball, very very quick and moves his feet side to side really well.

Justin Hamilton: He is a great defender, even guarded Prince last year and he is only like 6-3 an Prince is 7-0.

You have got to be kidding me. Dahntay Jones is ten times the defender Jackie Manuel is. Josh Howard is also a much better defender.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
WHere is the love for Kirk Hinrich?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts