Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously I'm talking West here, because the East is pretty garbage anyways, I mean look NY is 7th (not for long)

Excluding the big 5, who is the most dangerous out of Memphis, Denver, Houston, or even Utah/Seattle?

We know what Portland can do if they get in, so don't count them... I'm talking young blood here.

I think Denver's a bit young, but Houston could really give teams fits with their defense, esp. if Francis gets his head out of his ***

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
If Memphis gets the Lakers, watch out.
Houston, if Yao gets fired up could be unstoppable. Van Gundy ball is playoff ball. They could easily give a whale of a series to the Wolves, Kings, or Mavs.

If Denver and San Antonio matched up, Denver could give problems.

Seattle probably won't give much trouble to any team. They could steal a game or two. But their lack of anything in the frontcourt makes them the least scary of the lower seeded teams out west. Utah is equally unscary. The Clippers could be bothersome. As could the Warriors.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that only one of the top seeded teams make it through to the next round. Or all of them. The west is just as even 1-8 as the east.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Memphis' depth could be a huge factor in a tight seven game series, but to me Denver is by far the most dangerous team.. their offense is so potent at times that if both Lenard and 'Melo are on, they're virtually impossible to stop.. They've also proven that they can beat the big guys..

·
Top Of The Pops
27,473 Posts
Memphis and Denver are the two most steady of the "little guys." I don't think Houston is a worry to an elite team as long as Yao is a passive player and Francis is the main distributor.

Utah overachieved quite nicely, credit to the hard work of the players and the good coaching of Sloan. But I think in a high intensity playoff series against an elite team they would get smoked.

Seattle doesn't strike me as even having a prayer against a top team. Any of the top five will have a very good big man and that big man will destroy Seattle.

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
I'd have to go with the Knicks. I believe they can beat any of the eastern conference teams. Mutombo is still changing shots. Kurt Thomas is a good spot-up (mid-range) shooter and low post banger. Keith Van Horn can still do it inside and out and helps Mutombo and Thomas on the boards. Allan Houston is one of the most dangerous SG's in the L (ask the players who they have the most trouble guarding). Marbury is great at finding his own shot and setting others up. Penny is a nice veteran asset off the bench. I only question their perimeter defence. Lenny should help with that (if it's an issue).

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I don't think New York is going to be a lower seed. They seem to be well on the path to the top of the atlantic division. Isiah has made them very relevent once again. Regardless of how much of the future her sold to do it.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Mine, in order...

1) Houston: I think they have the best chance to upset a top seed. They play very good defense, so they can stay in most games. But the real key for them is Yao. If he asserts himself (and the guards feed him the rock), he's tough to stop and the Rockets could win.

2) Denver: They play a high scoring game and force lots of turnovers. They have a nice balance of inside/outside game, and they are well coached. If healthy I could see them causing an upset.

3) Memphis: Can see them giving the top teams a tough series. They have pretty good balance and a deep bench. I think they could give Dallas a fright. But, they are really weak inside at the center spot. Even Seattle's centers dominated Memphis (James: 16 pts, Potapenko: 14 pts in the last match-up).

4) Seattle: Could give Dallas a decent series, would lose to the Kings, Wolves, Lakers, Spurs. High scoring with good guard play. Not much defense, but can turn it on for stretches. Can't contain the good big men like B. Miller, Duncan, Shaq. Could take one or two games in a series with some hot shooting, but I can't see Seattle going past the first round.

5) Utah: Can't see them beating any of the top teams in the playoffs. They are well coached and play solid defense. Can't see them beating an elite team.

:)

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
The Rockets should be pretty dangerous come playoff time. Especially if Francis finally understand and decides not to ball hog all the time and pass the damn ball to Yao down low more often. Yao can pretty much dominate inside if he puts his head and heart into it and that will cause teams problems definitely.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I predicted Memphis would make the playoffs this year, but I would like to say that if the Grizz match up with the Lakers I think they are much more likely to be swept than they are to pull the upset.

If I am a Grizzlie fan this is not the first round serious I want to have. I would rather play Dallas or Sacramento in the first round, because of match-ups. I think they could beat Dallas (doesn't mean I would pick them, but they can give them a series).

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
It puzzles me why people always say that "if Yao gets more agressive" etc.
This guy is simply soft, when his defenders bumb him and defend him agressively he is not going to make a real impact on offense.

This is exactly what playoffs are all about and Yao can't handle agressive defense.

The key to the Rockets is Francis because he is their best guy at creating offense. Only Mobley can do that a little as well.

Look what happens to the Rockets when Francis is out and Mobley is defended well. They lose by 20 points to the Suns and Yao looked very average against Voshkul.

The most dangerous low playoff seeds right now is New York. I doubt any of the Western Conference teams can win more than 1-2 games.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
1. Rockets
2. Grizzlies
3. Nuggets

1 - 15 of 15 Posts