Joel Przybilla
Kenyon Martin
Courtney Alexander
Darius Miles
Hidayet Turkoglu
Morris Peterson
DeShawn Stevenson
Etan Thomas

Whoo boy...talk about an underwhelming draft class. Introducing key members of the draft of 2000. Any of these guys worth the mid-level exception, expected to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 million for the first year? We're talking slim pickins here, guys and gals. With the exception of Keyon Martin, I don't see a single player that deserves a new contract starting in the $5 million dollar range. Everyone of these guys have significant blemishes that teams will point to during negotiations.

Among this group you've probably got three guys who've shown the ability to be something more than a journeyman player: Martin, Crawford and Richardson. The rest of this group might actually find themselves looking for work as unrestricted free agents because the teams they play for will likely consider the qualifying offer too much money to pay to retain their services. Expect a good number of these players to have their rights recinded. And that could allow a team like the Bulls, who have holes to fill on their roster to pick up a player or two at some real bargain prices.

Looks like a buyer's market this summer. Lots of spare parts available at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Swift, Hedo, Mihm, Miles, Peterson, Thomas and Stevenson all have value. Many of the Qual. offers are less than $5M. I would expect all of these guys to get qualifing offers.

I don't think any of the others can help us.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Boy, ain't that the truth.

To consider things, here's what notable FAs last year got as their first year salary

PGs
Arenas $8.5M
Terry $6.8M
Andre Miller $6.5M
Claxton $3M
Boykins $2.5M
Ollie $2.5M
Eric Strickland $1.5M
Lue $1.5M
K. Anderson $1M
Best $900K

SGs
Rip Hamilton $6.5M
John Barry $3M
Vashon Leonard $2.75M
Piatkowski $2.5M
Harris $2.4M
Gill $1M
Hoiberg $1M

SFs
Odom $9.9M
Maggette $5.5M
Posey $5M
Pippen $5M
Newble $2.4M
Jim Jackson $2.25M
Stephen Jackson $1M
Dion Glover $1M
Cheney $1M

PFs
Brand $10.5M
Howard $5M
Horry $5M
K. Thomas $4.25M
C. Blount $1.7M
Brian Skinner $1.5M
Madsen $1.5M
Scott Williams $1M

Cs
Miller $7M
Nestorovic $5.6M
Mourning $5M
Elden Campbell $4M
Drobjnak $2.5M

------------------------

Where do this year's FAs rank amongst this group?

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
slightly OT, but boy, Maggette is a bargain. He's only making a few hundred grand over the MLE!

Wish we could have swung a deal for him, somehow :sigh:

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Im not sure if Ginobili and Okur are restricted FAs or how they would be classified (FAs where no team own Bird rights), but id rather have the 2 above then anyone on the list.

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
I think if somehow we could acquire Martin he'd be the perfect compliment to Eddy Curry. How we'd do this is beyond me. But Martin strikes me as Okafor only more advanced.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
I would say Martin is the top RFA, and I can't see him getting more than 7-8 mill per year.

Looks life tough times ahead for most of these guys, but some will cash in.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
Im not sure if Ginobili and Okur are restricted FAs or how they would be classified (FAs where no team own Bird rights), but id rather have the 2 above then anyone on the list.
Yea, both of those guys are RFAs too. But b/c they were second round picks, they can only match deals upto either the MLE or their free cap space which is greater. That's why Detroit may try to free some more space prior to the deadline.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
If Kobe stays with the Lakers, and Q stays with the Clips, then Jamal is pretty much THE free agent guard this summer.
Ginobili will be sought before him IMO

And even if we retain Jamal .. I still think we should consider the possibility of Deshawn Stevensen

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!

Yea, both of those guys are RFAs too. But b/c they were second round picks, they can only match deals upto either the MLE or their free cap space which is greater. That's why Detroit may try to free some more space prior to the deadline.
Which is why we shouldn't help them or the Clips out to clear space unless we get what we want within reason in return

I'd much prefer to let Fizer walk for zip rather than get dogcrap back

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
Ginobili and Okur are RFAs.

Stephen Jackson, Giricek and Eric Williams are guys I'd look at. Turkoglu and Mo Pete are other options.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts