Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if the spelling is correct but this guy looked good.year i know he's a raw rookie and needs to get in the weight room but he has size and skill.was it just me or did he look real good?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Don't know if you saw my post in the summer league section but I think in a year or two it will be a great sign. The guys on espn said that he didn't put his name on the draft list and thats why he didn't get drafted but they did say if he had be would've been a lottery pick due to his young age(22) and his size(7-2 254)

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
With the centers that come out this year, he almost definitely would have been a first round pick.

I was impressed by him in the SL game. Nice touch. Athletic for his size.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, I myself was surprised by this guy. I was amazed with his mobility and some of the down low skills he seems to possess. If this guy can learn the NBA style of ball, toughness....offensive and defensive, and much more development of his body, he can turn out to be one of the biggest diamonds in the ruff ever to be discovered. I know it was just SL B-Ball, and I'm not going to pencil him as a future all-star, but he did looked promising. I must admit, I was wondering why would the Grizz sign a player with those types of numbers, but I'm finding out the hard way that West really does have an eye for talent. So hopefully, it doesn't take him long to develope his body and skills, and he'll be able to make big noise around the league playing for the Grizzlies.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Originally posted by w-h-i-t-e-b-o-y
The guys on espn said that he didn't put his name on the draft list and thats why he didn't get drafted but they did say if he had be would've been a lottery pick due to his young age(22) and his size(7-2 254)

Obviously the guys on ESPN don´t know draft rules about international players.

International players can put his name on the draft list if they are under 22 (i.e. Tskitishvilli, Hilario).

EVERY non drafted international player IS elegible in the year they turn 22. They don´t need put his name on the draft list. Trybanski, born in 1979 was elegible in 2001 draft. He was not drafted because nobody (even in Europe...) thought he was talented enough.

I have some questions: If Trybanski is good ¿Why he played in a European second level league? ¿Why he was a bench player in a no-good team? ¿Why was not resigned in his last polish team?.

European better teams scout every young prospect and they signed them. Look at Tskitishvilli, Nachbar, Ginobili, Jaric... they come from strongest european teams. Even at junior level (17-18 years old) big pro-teams sign the best young prospects in Europe. Macej Lampe, a superb 18 years-old prospect from Poland (like Trybanski...) was signed 3 years ago (!!!) by Real Madrid, from Spain (Raul Lopez former team).

I know West is a genius, but it´s no easy to think everybody in Europe (even Trybanski coaches and team) is blind.

I wish I´m wrong, but I think european scouts know their job: Trybanski is not good enough for biggest Euro teams, so he is not good enough for NBA (remember Frederick Weiss?).

Anyway I know Trybanski has a really good work ethic, he improved his game last two years and has a winner mental toughness. Maybe in two or three years he can be a good backup C, maybe...

(Three years guaranteed contract...!!!, ...unbelievable...)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I like the entire post!!! BUT.... in the NBA unlike overseas they look alot at talent and look for the future not always for the present. I know from playing overseas that they mainly look at what is now, and not for 3 or 4 years down the line. Foreign plays have much better fundamementals but in the NBA if they even see the slightest bit of talent in a BIG man especially with the lack of actual big men in the NBA then they decide to take a shot and hire someone to work with him to help dvelop his game. And I was just refering to what the announces said during the game about his name not being on the draft list...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.