Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the top candidates seem to be DD and Qyntel. (Also, in his heart, I believe Darius would like to get some more PT). So, I guess what's been going through my mind is if these guys can "live" with the situation they've been placed in, or not.

Certainly, the easiest to figure out is Dales situation. Simply put, he's a backup Center now, and will probably continue to be one - at least, while Sheed's on the team. I'm hopeful that he can accept his new role, and determine in his mind that he'll be the best gosh-durned backup Center that he can be. He needs to bring a little more enthusiasm to his game. I know he has it in him. The excuses about not being able to train over the summer don't apply at this point in the season.

Qyntel's situation is quite different. Now that Miles is here, Qyntel won't/can't expect to get many minutes at the 3 - that is, unless Ruben happens to be traded. Obviously, his experiment at Point Guard has been woefully unsuccessful. So, where does he fit in?

The next question might be, which position might he be best suited for, a 2 or a 3? And, would the Blazers trade Ruben, DA, or Wes for Qyntel's sake?

Amidst all the recent team success, these are still uncertain times. I'm very curious as to how the Blazers will address these issues (if at all) as we approach the all-too-interesting trading deadline.

Stay tuned..........................

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
I think Qyntel should take over as the primary backup shooting guard. Have Wesley get the minutes that the backup point would have.

The way I would distribute the minutes is:

Starters
Damon 38 minutes per game
DA 30 minutes per game
Miles 35 minutes per game
Randolph 40 minutes per game
Sheed 35 minutes per game

Bench
Woods 20 minutes per game
Patterson 18 minutes per game
Person 8 minutes per game
Davis 12 minutes per game

First subs off the bench
Patterson for Miles
Woods for Stoudamire
Davis for Wallace

Have DA playing the point, Woods at the 2, Patterson at the 3, Randolph and Davis in the post.

Second Substitution:
Person for Anderson
Miles for Randolph
Stoudamire for Patterson
Wallace for Davis.

That would have:

Damon
Person
Woods
Miles
Wallace

Third substitution
Anderson for Person
Randolph for Woods

Thus leading back to the starting lineup.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a recent article on Woods from The PDX Columbian

"It's an experiment that we may continue to live with a little while longer," general manager John Nash said. "Or we may change the plan if Qyntel continues to struggle. Our hope is Qyntel can gain the confidence and do the job at backup point guard."

...Pippen said Woods just needs time and patience. But (Derek) Anderson thinks playing him at the point is a flawed plan, that it negates his athleticism.

"You've got to run plays," Anderson said. "You don't just come down and shoot. ... He's got guys on the team he has to get involved. When he gets pressured ... it's kind of frustrating for him."

Do the Blazers need to acquire another point guard?

"I think it would help," Anderson said. "I think we're taking away Qyntel Woods' athleticism. We're putting him in an awkward situation, (but) at this point, we have to do that. Coach feels bad he's doing it, but we have to do it."

Cheeks said, "Maybe Qyntel is the answer; maybe he isn't. Maybe Darius is the answer. We'll keep searching."

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
I did!!!!

Scroll down and look at Best Blazers Coverage.....

oh, and I wasn't paying attention, the Columbian IS daily. For some reason I was thinking of the Trib. And the fact that the Columbian is daily makes the lateness of this article worse.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by <b>NateBishop3</b>!
I did!!!!

Scroll down and look at Best Blazers Coverage.....
Sorry, I guess I was thinking that was TV coverage and didn't open it. Really on the ball for Mod, huh. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts