Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have done this the past 3 or 4 seasons and it would be a shame to not do it this year, even though its much later and its only a day before the draft. But please list who you think the Bulls might take at 29, or just who do you WANT them to draft. Leave out top 10 talent since they will not be available and try to focus on those late first rounders who can become the next Draft Day Steal.

MY GUY is PG/SG Tony Wroten from Washington. Hes a 6'6 combo guard who can play some PG in Rose's absence and has some fantastic athletic skills. He can attack the basket and can finish! He would most likely be our second best finisher behind Rose. Its no secret that the Bulls lack finishers and he would be a welcomed addition to our team, he would be a fantastic transition option once Rose comes back.

Hes got fantastic size at the 1 and 2, he may be a combo guard but he will not be outsized like most combo guards ala Ben Gordon and Kemba Walker.

Draftexpress has done a fantastic job now of posting up detailed scouting videos on some of their prospects, so unlike the previous years we don't need to break down every Youtube video.

So lets just look at some of his measurables.

Height W Shoes 6'6 weight 203 no step vert 30 max vert 35, lane agility 10.75, 3/4 sprint 3.24

While his numbers don't come close to Rose's monstrous 34 and 40 vert, his numbers are still decent.

Here are some comparisons

Tyreke Evans 28 no step vert 34 max, 11.81 lane, 3.17 sprint.
Dwayne Wade 31.5 no step vert 35 max, 10.5 lane, 3.8 sprint.
Brandon Roy 34.0 No step vert 40 max, 11.13 lane, 3.27 sprint.

My guy last year was Iman Shumpert and sadly he did not last to the Bulls pick since his stock went up in the previous weeks leading up to the draft. There have been some hype of Wroten moving up in the draft but he didn't put up monster numbers like Shumpert did in the combines so I think he still might be available at 29.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
i agree with you about wroten jr. in the sense he would be a great pick ...but i think the bulls go for doron lamb instead.

draft.net and draft express have the bulls picking will barton.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea why they would pick Lamb over Wroten. Lamb is 2-3 inches shorter, had some below average vertical numbers and seems weak as evidenced by posting up only 2 reps in the bench press. Just based on overall talent, picking Lamb over Wroten makes 0 sense.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
He may have to slip a bit, but Andrew Nicholson. I know he will be able to score on people in the NBA, and the highlights don't show much but he is extremely good in the low post. If he develops other facets of the game (decision making and defense) he could give Taj and Mirotic a run for their money as the future Boozer replacement at starter.

He wouldn't be an ideal fit, but he could play spot minutes off the bench at the three if the other's bench 3 is not all that offensive minded. You want a fifth big, as you know how we struggled when Noah went down. He is also Taj insurance in case he gets traded or we decide to let him walk.

DX says he has Ryan Anderson type potential. I see more Antawn Jamison as a type of ceiling for him.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
I have no idea why they would pick Lamb over Wroten. Lamb is 2-3 inches shorter, had some below average vertical numbers and seems weak as evidenced by posting up only 2 reps in the bench press. Just based on overall talent, picking Lamb over Wroten makes 0 sense.
lamb can shoot(47 from 3 last season)
lamb just won a title ( it shouldn't matter but bulls drafting history says otherwise 6 of the bulls 11 1st rounders in the paxson era counting mirotic and thabo were at least in the final 4 the season they were drafted with rose and gordon winning it all, I think this means Paxson subscribes to some sort of jib quality to this.)
lamb is a good defender
lamb is capable of playing immediately(while wroten jr. is a bit of a project because he cant shoot at all, and paxson really doesn't care for projects.)

if it were me drafting i would swing for the fences and take wroten jr. GarPax generally go for safer bets low risk/low reward.

virtually every draft there is a star guard taken past 20 , my gut says its wroten...and i would draft him and lock him in a gym to work on his shot because thats all he needs....that being said he is a really bad shooter.
there is a big risk factor there.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Other guys I hope slip:

Marquis Teague - This kid is going to be good. He reminds me a lot of Ty Lawson when he was coming out.

Tony Wroten - seems like a 6th man instill some energy and game changer offensively type potential.

Doron Lamb - Really the only guy left I see with starter type potential at one of the wings.

***Not sure why the Teague one isn't working.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lamb can shoot(47 from 3 last season)
lamb just won a title ( it shouldn't matter but bulls drafting history says otherwise 6 of the bulls 11 1st rounders in the paxson era counting mirotic and thabo were at least in the final 4 the season they were drafted with rose and gordon winning it all, I think this means Paxson subscribes to some sort of jib quality to this.)
lamb is a good defender
lamb is capable of playing immediately(while wroten jr. is a bit of a project because he cant shoot at all, and paxson really doesn't care for projects.)

if it were me drafting i would swing for the fences and take wroten jr. GarPax generally go for safer bets low risk/low reward.

virtually every draft there is a star guard taken past 20 , my gut says its wroten...and i would draft him and lock him in a gym to work on his shot because thats all he needs....that being said he is a really bad shooter.
there is a big risk factor there.
Lamb is a better shooter but he is a second round talent. Wroten would be alottery talent if he could shoot, while it would take lamb being taller and more athletic to be a lottery talent. While I can see the bulls drafting lamb, I just doubt any scout would rather take lamb over wroten.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Lamb is a better shooter but he is a second round talent. Wroten would be alottery talent if he could shoot, while it would take lamb being taller and more athletic to be a lottery talent. While I can see the bulls drafting lamb, I just doubt any scout would rather take lamb over wroten.
there really isn't that much of a size difference between the two.

doron is the same height as dwayne wade(6'4 3/4) ...its not that big a deal....wroten is 6'6 and 3 pounds heavier.

i pretty much see lamb as being like hubert davis with adequate defense, which is ok...there are plenty of scouts who would take lamb over wroten , I just think its the wrong call.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I have done this the past 3 or 4 seasons and it would be a shame to not do it this year, even though its much later and its only a day before the draft. But please list who you think the Bulls might take at 29, or just who do you WANT them to draft. Leave out top 10 talent since they will not be available and try to focus on those late first rounders who can become the next Draft Day Steal.

MY GUY is PG/SG Tony Wroten from Washington. Hes a 6'6 combo guard who can play some PG in Rose's absence and has some fantastic athletic skills. He can attack the basket and can finish! He would most likely be our second best finisher behind Rose. Its no secret that the Bulls lack finishers and he would be a welcomed addition to our team, he would be a fantastic transition option once Rose comes back.

Hes got fantastic size at the 1 and 2, he may be a combo guard but he will not be outsized like most combo guards ala Ben Gordon and Kemba Walker.

Draftexpress has done a fantastic job now of posting up detailed scouting videos on some of their prospects, so unlike the previous years we don't need to break down every Youtube video.

So lets just look at some of his measurables.

Height W Shoes 6'6 weight 203 no step vert 30 max vert 35, lane agility 10.75, 3/4 sprint 3.24

While his numbers don't come close to Rose's monstrous 34 and 40 vert, his numbers are still decent.

Here are some comparisons

Tyreke Evans 28 no step vert 34 max, 11.81 lane, 3.17 sprint.
Dwayne Wade 31.5 no step vert 35 max, 10.5 lane, 3.8 sprint.
Brandon Roy 34.0 No step vert 40 max, 11.13 lane, 3.27 sprint.

My guy last year was Iman Shumpert and sadly he did not last to the Bulls pick since his stock went up in the previous weeks leading up to the draft. There have been some hype of Wroten moving up in the draft but he didn't put up monster numbers like Shumpert did in the combines so I think he still might be available at 29.
16% from 3 last season. That's a bit of a concern, the last thing we want is another Brewer out there.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, another guy I liked is gone. wroten would have been nice. Perry Jones 3.could slip to us, watch Miami get him instead lol.

·
Administrator
68,864 Posts
Not going to pretend I know college basketball. Jeff Teague's older, allegedly better brother. Not a fan of the name "Marquis," but hey, what's in a name if he's good...

·
Ethical Hacker
485 Posts
Why is it I always get excited for the draft only to get an "ho hum" result from the Bulls. Second year in a row that our draft pick inspires me to take a nap. Once upon a time this used to be fun. Now, it's more like: "oh, that's...interesting, i guess...what's on HBO"

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I would've liked to have seen us move up to get a Barnes or something then add another quality pick after we tank the season and go forward with that, but with the pick we've got if Teague is the BPA then I can live with it.

I don't think we'll need to try hard to tank next season just quietly. If you look at our starting lineup:

Noah (always a chance he'll be injured)
Boozer (......)
?????? (Deng won't be ready after getting surgery post Olympics)
?????? (Hamilton will be injured)
?????? (who knows if CJ will be back)

Brewer and Korver you'd think would be gone and nobody knows who the replacements will be. There'll be no shooting on the floor, teams will pack the paint and we have no inside scorers. IMO it's going to be a tough season.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why do people think that all 3 players on team options (Brewer, Korver, and CJ) will be gone next season.

I'd say we keep 2 of the 3 from above at the very worst.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Why is it I always get excited for the draft only to get an "ho hum" result from the Bulls. Second year in a row that our draft pick inspires me to take a nap. Once upon a time this used to be fun. Now, it's more like: "oh, that's...interesting, i guess...what's on HBO"
I thought this draft was crazy, and exciting. One of the most unpredictable ones in recent years. As you can tell by my draft board above, there were only a few guys I liked at the end of the round, and extremely happy Teague slipped. I didn't expect him to, and thought he could go as high as #13 to Phoenix.

He reminds me a lot of Ty Lawson, and he will be given good minutes to showcase next season, and be our primary backup PG. If he's as good as I expect him to be, a Teague/Rose backcourt to finish out games isn't that out of the question. While mainly a setup man, guy is not afraid to take big shots and has a great handle.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Not mad at the pick but disappointed in the fact that they don't go after Perry Jones.
Guy was erratic, and not very efficient. Screams offensive minded #8/#9 rotation bench player where you can see if he has it going on various nights, and only play him 8-10 mpg on others.

Had both been available, I still think Teague was the much better choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts