Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading around this board, it seems there are many viable candidates. Everyone from Billups to Dirk has been mentioned, and each candidate definitely can make a strong case for MVP.

Now that the season is nearly over, who's your MVP?

[edit]
fmkalmfelakmfkls, I tried to make a poll but seems like I messed up.

Well, for my answer, I honestly hope that Kobe wins it. Even though he probably won't due to team record. My vote will have to go to LeBron right now because of the way he's lead his Cavs.

·
kiss my grits
18,595 Posts

I go with Lebron beating out Dirk, Kobe, and Nash.

If the Lakers were a little better than an 8th seed I would go with him. He's had an amazing year and carried a mostly crap team to the playoffs.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
LeBron and Kobe have been the best players this year. LeBron's team has the better record, therefore him winning is more likely. That's if the voters don't give too much value to team success and give it to someone like Dirk Nowitzki. Dirk has been pretty good this year though (right behind Kobe and LeBron), so I wouldn't mind if he got it.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,213 Posts
I'm gonna go with Lebron, he's been the best player in the league down the stretch run, on a team poised to win 50 games. Dirk will likely win it though, as Lebron is too young in alot of voters minds and the Mavs could finish with well over 60 wins.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Here's my thing with handing the award over to Kobe purely based on statistical perfomances. Back a few years ago, a guy named Tracy McGrady had a season with a, dare I say it, a better line than Kobe today. The Magic were seeded in the 8 spot, just as the Lakers are now, and both teams had relatively little to depend on past their star swingman.

Tracy's Line from the 02-03 Season 32-7-6-1.7. Lead the league in scoring, single-handedly beat the Pistons on Christmas day (and 3 times during the 1st round of the playoffs) abeit a 46-point triple-double.

Magics 02-03 Lineup

Before Trade)
PG- Jacque Vaughn
SG- Mike Miller
SF - Tracy McGrady
PF- Pat Garrity
C - Shawn Kemp

After Trade)
PG- Jacque Vaughn
SG- Gordan Giricek (rookie)
SF - Tracy McGrady
PF - Drew Gooden (rookie)
C - Shawn Kemp

Kobe's Line from the 05-06 Season 35-5-5-1.6. Now, I understand that Kobe has done some spectacular things this season, but one game (81 pt game against the Raptors) or even two (62 points against Dallas in 3 qtrs) doesn't really seperate the two of them all that much.

Kobe's Lineup
PG - Smush Parker
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Lamar Odem
PF- Brian Cook
C - Kwame Brown

I think that I could even make a case that Tracy's supporting case was less productive than Kobe's, but yet they still are going to end up with a similar number of wins.

Tracy finished 4th in the MVP voting that year. My question is, how can Kobe have such a similar line in such a similar situation and win the MVP this year while Tracy finished 4th?

Reactions: Shady* and quench23

·
Banned
2,186 Posts
I can't front on my guys Wade or Nash either... but I would feel it would be a disgrace to the game if one of the two BEST and MOST valuable players didn't win it. And that narrows it down to either Bron or Kobe. Both don't have the most talented teams around them, they put up the most amazing numbers in the league, and those numbers actually translate to wins as opposed to someone like KG who puts up numbers but doesn't win.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I can't front on my guys Wade or Nash either... but I would feel it would be a disgrace to the game if one of the two BEST and MOST valuable players didn't win it. And that narrows it down to either Bron or Kobe. Both don't have the most talented teams around them, they put up the most amazing numbers in the league, and those numbers actually translate to wins as opposed to someone like KG who puts up numbers but doesn't win.
In no way, shape or form am I hating on Kobe or Bron' (I'm actually a big fan of Kobe and hate Lebron), but what about Mr. Nowitzki?

He's putting up Career numbers: 27, 9, 3, 1 on 47% shooting and his team is chasing San Antonio and Detriot for the best record in the League.

He's also the only All-Star on his team.

Reactions: The MAMBA

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My personal MVP is Kobe Bryant.

Lebron or Nash will win it though.

Reactions: The MAMBA

·
Banned
2,186 Posts
Duck34234 said:
In no way, shape or form am I hating on Kobe or Bron' (I'm actually a big fan of Kobe and hate Lebron), but what about Mr. Nowitzki?

He's putting up Career numbers: 27, 9, 3, 1 on 47% shooting and his team is chasing San Antonio and Detriot for the best record in the League.

He's also the only All-Star on his team.
True that, I respect what Dirk does. Hell I like my Dirk the Diggler, and what he has been doing is amazing. This has been his best season, and as great as it is, it pales in comparison to what Kobe and Bron have been doing indivudally. But as for the success of their team? They may not have All-Stars (Well Stack used to be), but they are a team full of players who know their role and are above average players. They also have the benefit of being a unit for the past few years, and knowing each other's game. Dallas has been one of the elite teams in the league since 2001. No one expected the Lakers to be where they're at. And no one, no matter how good he was projected to be, would have guessed that LeBron at 21 years of age would be putting up 32 ppg, 7 boards, and 7 dimes a game.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.