Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
Duck34234 said:
The Magic were seeded in the 8 spot, just as the Lakers are now, and both teams had relatively little to depend on past their star swingman.
The east was dreadful that year. The Pistons had the best record with 50 wins, and would probably be a 5th or 6th seed in this years western conference. The eastern conference had a 46.7% winning percentage that year, and it was only that good because they beat each other up in-conference. They had a 37.7% winning percentage against the western conference that year.

The Magic were 11-17 against the west. Their saving grace was a 31-23 conference record in a pitiful conference. Against this years western conference, that Magic team is probably comparable to this years Timberwolves. Giving McGrady MVP that year would be like giving it to Kevin Garnett this year.

· Michael Whiteacre's Running Mate
2,338 Posts
Out of Nash, LeBron, Nowitzki and Kobe at a stretch. I think LeBron will win for a number of reasons. He's the most gifted athlete the game has seen since Jordan, and the media loves him. Nash will struggle to win back to backs, because back to backs very seldom happen. Plus the fact Phoenix realistically won't win the championship this year makes it even more unlikely. And the NBA probably wish to avoid the whole racism issue that came up with Nash winning it last season, and would surely occur again if he wins it over LeBron and Kobe.

· Registered
302 Posts
The logic saying that they got to win a lot of games means that the MVP should go to the best player on the best team. Hence Ben Wallace or Chauncey Billups. I don't think MVP should go to either of them. I would rather the MVP be given to either Kobe or Dirk. Suns are my 2nd favorite team(and Nash is one of my favorite players) but its the system that makes them great. Nash is like a driver who perfects the Suns.(He boosts a team from 85% to 100%) Mike D'Antoni should be Coach of the year.(Or Avery Johnson)

Kobe should get it because he keeps the youngest playoff bound team afloat.(When you start Kwame Brown, Smush Parker and Brian Cook you know you got problems.)
Dirk should get it because like Kobe, he got no all-star teammate but he has a far better record.

· Registered
287 Posts
Racism issued aside, back to backs aside.......

Steve Nash is having a better season this year statistically, while his team has the 3rd best record in the league (i beleive). Amare is out, and his team is still competing. Defensively, his skills are downgraded, but people fail to understand that the Phoenix system is made in such a way that most point gaurds would get killed. If you switch Chauncy and Nash, Detroit will still win the division, while the Suns will probably be a lottery team. Just MHO.

Flame away..

· Premium Member
100,124 Posts
The voters, and media in general are obsessed with certain stats and plateaus. With LeBron's amazing statline this season, I think 50 wins is the magic number for him to win MVP. Putting up 32-7-6 and leading his team to 50 wins I think will win the award for James. As stupid as it sounds, I think if the Cavs win 48 or 49 games Dirk or Nash will win MVP.

· Your Humble Homer
11,071 Posts
The_Notic said:
Racism issued aside, back to backs aside.......

Steve Nash is having a better season this year statistically, while his team has the 3rd best record in the league (i beleive). Amare is out, and his team is still competing. Defensively, his skills are downgraded, but people fail to understand that the Phoenix system is made in such a way that most point gaurds would get killed. If you switch Chauncy and Nash, Detroit will still win the division, while the Suns will probably be a lottery team. Just MHO.

Flame away..

They wouldn't be a lottery team, but I don't think they would have 50 wins right now.

· Star in the Making
4,739 Posts
Personally I think its going to be a tie

· Registered
14,162 Posts
LBJthefuturegoat said:
I think Kobe has a great chance to win one. The media loves him now and if he gets anything around him to win 50+ games he'll be a lock.
I don't know why team success must be factored in. At least not this year. Kobe Bryant has been amassing monumental offensive efforts, while leading a bunch of scrubs/underachievers to the playoffs.

Underachievers = Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown.
Scrubs: the rest of them mofos.

· Top Of The Pops
27,460 Posts
1. LeBron James
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Dwyane Wade
4. Dirk Nowitzki

It's all very tightly-packed though.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.