Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get why people are down on Julius Hodge, he is the best player in the ACC and one of the 5 best players in the nation. But yet NBAdraft.net has him the 26th best prospect in the Junior class, somehow behind Chris Hill, who I think is terrible. People say he doesn't have a position, that is the furthest thing from the truth, he is a shooting guard he can play some point. People say he can't shoot that well, check the numbers he is shooting over 40% from 3, and nearly 55% from the field. I hope you guys saw the game against BYU, did you see that left handed bullet pass to Marcus Melvin, WOW.

Dick Vitale knew what he was talking about when he named Hodge to his all-american first team, as did Clark Francis when he did the same. Brad Daugherty called him the best player in the ACC and possibly even the best in the nation, that is not far fetched. Not many players can do what he does. The only players in Hodge's class are Okafor, Gordon, Nelson and a couple others, but the list is short.

·
Warrior Spirit!
4,216 Posts
As of right now, he's WAY TOO skinny to play in the NBA. What is he like 6'6 175? He wouldn't last very long in the NBA with that frame...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's up to about 190, in the summer he was 197 but since going back to school he lost a few pounds. Reggie Miller has lasted pretty long with that frame, its about toughness not size.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
All I have to say about Hodge, is that I thank god every day that he screwed SU over and went to Raleigh, because if he signs with SU, we have no Warrick (who was signed with the scholarship that opened up after Hodge balked) and we have no Carmelo (as he does not sign on with a team with a scoring wing like Hodge)

Hodge goes to SU - SU 2003 NIT first round losers.
Hodge screws SU - SU 2003 NCAA Champions.

Good riddance Hodge.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!
All I have to say about Hodge, is that I thank god every day that he screwed SU over and went to Raleigh, because if he signs with SU, we have no Warrick (who was signed with the scholarship that opened up after Hodge balked) and we have no Carmelo (as he does not sign on with a team with a scoring wing like Hodge)

Hodge goes to SU - SU 2003 NIT first round losers.
Hodge screws SU - SU 2003 NCAA Champions.

Good riddance Hodge.
LOL, is that bitterness? He didn't exactly screw over Syracuse, everybody who was close to the situation knew he wasn't going to Syracuse, too many people were telling him not to go there. When it came down to the end it was pretty much a lock that he was headed to NC State.

Think about Julius's freshman year at Syracuse with Preston Shumpert, Shumpert has the perfect compliment, a player who can drive and get to the line, while he just lines them up and knocks them down. I wonder how good that 2002 SU team would've done. Hey were you at the game when NC State went up to Syracuse and the freshman Hodge took the senior Shumpert out of his game, and even baited him into a tech and the Wolfpack won the game?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Julius definitely made the correct decision in not going to Syracuse. He is a great player and as he gets stronger will be tough to stop on the pro level. That is really all that is stopping him IMO, is the lack of strength. As he gains it, he will be tough to stop.

And if one trick pony's like Rip Hamilton can stay in the league, a jack-of-all trades like Hodge can make it and be effective too. I mean freaking Damon Jones is in the league contributing.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kmasonbx</b>!

LOL, is that bitterness? He didn't exactly screw over Syracuse, everybody who was close to the situation knew he wasn't going to Syracuse, too many people were telling him not to go there. When it came down to the end it was pretty much a lock that he was headed to NC State.
Not bitter at all. It worked out GREAT for SU, that Hodge chose NC st. And it looks like it worked out well for Hodge, who is a great player.

[/quote]
Think about Julius's freshman year at Syracuse with Preston Shumpert, Shumpert has the perfect compliment, a player who can drive and get to the line, while he just lines them up and knocks them down. I wonder how good that 2002 SU team would've done. [/quote]

That team was not very good - it was an NIT Team. It must be remembered that Shumpert became useless after his eye was gouged by that punk Deshaun Williams. If I am bitter about anyone it is Deshaun, a useless chucker.

With Hodge as a freshmen, the team really would not have been much better - he was not a "major" impact freshmen at NC St, certainly would have made our team better but not much . Perhaps a 10 seed. It would not have been a top 25 team anyway.

Hey were you at the game when NC State went up to Syracuse and the freshman Hodge took the senior Shumpert out of his game, and even baited him into a tech and the Wolfpack won the game?
It didn't take much to take Shumpert out of his game. The guy was big-time inconsistent.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I like Hodge, and think his talent is enought to get him to the league. He is thin, but he appears to be committed to putting on weight. I think he'll need to be at least 200 before he goes in the 1st round. He is versatile and can play 3 positions. Julius is a great ballhandler/playmaker and a very good rebounder for a guard. I think he is destined for the NBA, but his skinny frame is a big turnoff to scouts/GMs. I think at worst he will be a John Salmons-type player in the league.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Hodge is dedicated to putting on some weight. His goal is to get up to 210 pounds. Despite being skinny you can tell he's pretty strong, against BYU he was able to shield off Rafael Araujo who weighs nearly 300 pounds with one arm.

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
ok, julius hodge is great. i think he should be a top 5 pick. if i were the cavs, he would have to be the best player to draft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts