Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idiots...

I know he was injured at the time, but come on, a talent like that is too much to pass on, all it would have taken was a guarantee, and I would have done it late in the first.

IMO you have to take advantage when you can get a player of his caliber at the end of the 1st round, now you will need a top 5 pick to get him when he comes to the league.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
LOL @ this thread. We talked about this arenas two years ago. Haha. He should have had a guarantee from the Nets, but they foolishly traded the pick to Portland. He could have been had.

The kid is going to be the No. 1 or 2 pick in the 2006 draft. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
That's absolute nonsense. There is no evidence in place saying that Aldridge would have accepted a promise in the 20's. He would have been stupid to take it I think if he had any kind of faith in his ability to go to college and show some of what we are all seeing right now.

Besides, how many Mcdonald All-Americans have there been like him that went to college and became absolute busts? It's very easy to say that this person was dumb or that person was dumb 2 years later now that you know that the kid is a stud, but no one here even knows the full story.

What if Jason Frasor came out as a high school senior? Wasn't he just as deserving of a promise if not more than Aldridge?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
^^ Nicely put. Teams don't have crystal balls. Aldridge probably thought ( rightly so) that he would seriously up his position by going to Texas, and get more money, more respect, and be a better player for it. I don't see how he won't be a top three pick, espcially since teams generally need bigs more than wing players.

·
Registered
719 Posts
shookem said:
Well, I can promise LaMarcus Alridge that is he keeps kicking ***, he'll be a Raptors in June.
-signed, some dude in no position to make such promises.
He going to be great but i don't think both the Raptors or Hawks really need him. I would love to see Bosh charlie V and Alridge together on the court but they kind of all play the same game. I see the Raptors going after GAy or a Center. Hawks would trade down and get Rondo. It's still early but that what i see so far. I'm really hoping that New Orleans will be able to get him that would be perfect :clap:

·
Registered
443 Posts
The kid is going to be the No. 1 or 2 pick in the 2006 draft. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Lets hold on calling him the #1 or 2 pick I remember last year many considered Chris Taft a top 5 pick for Chad Ford to nbadraft.net

·
Registered
45 Posts
Like A Breath said:
I'm sure many teams did promise him a first round pick, but he knew he could get his stock up to top 3 if he stayed.

Bingo. Why get drafted late in the 1st round, when you feel like you could go top 5 in 2006 or 2007?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Matthew Maurer said:
Lets hold on calling him the #1 or 2 pick I remember last year many considered Chris Taft a top 5 pick for Chad Ford to nbadraft.net
smart, and I agree.

but assuming that he is a very skilled big, worthy of a top three selection, I wouldn't be surprised if the Raps did take him. Babcock got in trouble the last time he picked based on need (Hoffa), yet did well when he ignored position and simply picked the most talented player (Villanueva).

I'm saying this in regards to any big man in the draft going to the Raps, Babs will draft now, work it out later. worse comes to worse, you make a loopsided traded to someone, like NY and Chi.

I think you are partly right though, preferance will probably given to a guy that may be able to play some time at the 5, like Bosh. Which is why I think Alridge may fit the Raps, not that he's a 5 or anything, but he is in the same sense the CB4 is.

Villanueva/Alridge/Bosh- all guys around 6'10, 6'11, all guys around 240-250. Sure one guy at those specs might get killed by a larger center (of which there are less and less), but with having two others on the court with good help D, may be a neat team. I dunno we'll see. Either way, I'll be watching this guy closely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts