Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing he must be the best practice player in the history of the game, because every time I've seen him in games he looks like a boy amongst men. He looks lost. He blows layups. The ball slips out of his hands when he goes up for a ordinary layin over a smaller player. He loses tip-offs against players 6 inches shorter than him.

Yes, I know he's only 19. But people talk about the guy like he's one of the bright spots for the future of this franchise.

I guess I just don't see it.:whoknows:

-Pop

·
Registered
910 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. i compared him to looking like a newborn horse when he runs, but he does look very lost out there. a jumper might help him, but he has a long long way to go to be a bench player.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
cus he is better than yao was at his age and wasnt even to be on the team this year.

·
Registered
910 Posts
yao was an allstar his 1st year and i don't think ha has scored 10 points the entire season. theres no comparing the 2 by age, cause one is good and one isn't, and it is obvious which one is good. age really doesn't matter that much. either you can play or you can't, and ha will not be a player in this league.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There were folks that thought Jermaine was a stupid, lazy waste of a draft pick.

I'm not saying Ha's the next anybody, but if he becomes a decent backup, well, that better than a bust. He just might turn out to be good.

Give the kids a chance to develop.

Go Blazers

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
its funny that yao has said he couldnt have played in the nba at 19, Ha wasnt even to be on this team but the reign, I find it funny that people are already burning on HA considering when he came to the blazers HA wasnt going to play at all.

yao = #1 draft pick
Ha = #46 draft pick

and HA just took out Yao.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
tradetheo said:
...ha will not be a player in this league.
Ha IS a player in this league right now. And I'm not an expert on contracts, but I believe he gets 3 years.

Not saying he's the next Yao, but he sure is tall. And young, so who knows what will happen.

Someone mentioned Jermaine, but Cato is a better example- not an allstar, but a decent bench center. He's better now than he was when he was in Portland, and I figured he'd last a year after we traded him.

Of course I could have mentioned Boumtje :eek:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
tradetheo said:
yao was an allstar his 1st year and i don't think ha has scored 10 points the entire season. theres no comparing the 2 by age, cause one is good and one isn't, and it is obvious which one is good. age really doesn't matter that much. either you can play or you can't, and ha will not be a player in this league.
Mike Rice said Yao told him that Ha is a better player at 19 than he was. I'm not saying that means he's going to be better than Yao, but I'm not going to write the kid off. As long as nobody on the Blazers is counting on him to be a solid center, then anything that comes of him will be an added bonus.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Backboard Cam said:
Someone mentioned Jermaine, but Cato is a better example- not an allstar, but a decent bench center. He's better now than he was when he was in Portland, and I figured he'd last a year after we traded him.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. While Cato was not (and is still not) a scoring factor, he was a solid rebounder and still a hell of a shot blocker when he played for Portland. I remember in the playoffs against the Jazz collecting something like 7 blocks, several against Malone. Cato at least brought SOMETHING to the table, where at this point, Ha really doesn't. Not saying that he wont develop into a decent player some day, but as of this moment, he is pretty darn bad out there!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Tince said:
Mike Rice said Yao told him that Ha is a better player at 19 than he was. I'm not saying that means he's going to be better than Yao, but I'm not going to write the kid off. As long as nobody on the Blazers is counting on him to be a solid center, then anything that comes of him will be an added bonus.

I agree, if we get something out of him, great, if we don't, oh well. Mike Rice must have said that like 3 times before half time, and i would bet a couple times in the second half but I had to jet before the 2nd!

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
tradetheo said:
yao was an allstar his 1st year
there's a couple of points of contention here. For starters, Yao was 22 when he was a rookie. Thats 3-4 years older than Ha, and also 3-4 years more of growth, maturation. Yao being an All Star had more to do with the fact the NBA "opened" voting to China, than Yao deserving it.

and i don't think ha has scored 10 points the entire season. theres no comparing the 2 by age, cause one is good and one isn't, and it is obvious which one is good. age really doesn't matter that much.
cept that you're comparing how someone was at 22 vs how someone is at 18-19. You're comparing someone who played far more games professionally vs one who basically played high school ball and thats it.

either you can play or you can't, and ha will not be a player in this league.
If we're to compare how a player is after such a short amount of time playing basketball, we're bound to make grandiose statements that show that we know very little about the game.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
a, he's tall
b, he's goofy
c, he's tall
d, yao ming comparisons
e, he's tall
f, he's young
g, he's tall
h, 'hidden gem crew' aka everyone under 25 on our squad
i, he's tall

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Interesting that the vreator of this post is the same guy who started a post complaining that people rag on Damon too much. Damons at lesast had 10 years or so to prove that he isn't a great player.

Ha has the size, hands and mobility to be a solid center in the NBA, maybe not an All star, but a solid player. What he lacks is experience against real competition.

As far as raving about him, fans often love to root for the little used player...see Joe Wolf.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Schilly said:
Interesting that the vreator of this post is the same guy who started a post complaining that people rag on Damon too much. Damons at lesast had 10 years or so to prove that he isn't a great player.

Ha has the size, hands and mobility to be a solid center in the NBA, maybe not an All star, but a solid player. What he lacks is experience against real competition.

As far as raving about him, fans often love to root for the little used player...see Joe Wolf.
that was an absolute PWN post.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
I'm guessing he must be the best practice player in the history of the game, because every time I've seen him in games he looks like a boy amongst men.
Well, a very tall boy. Which is, of course, exactly what he is. A very tall boy amongst men.

Yes, I know he's only 19. But people talk about the guy like he's one of the bright spots for the future of this franchise.
Well, he's got his whole career ahead of him. And did anyone mention that he's not short?

barfo

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Schilly said:
I never said Damon was a great player. What I did say is that he gets a fair amount of blame here, which I believe is unfounded. There are at least four players who have literally given up on the season on this team. Damon's not one of them. As a matter of fact, there have been numerous times where he has thrown the entire team on his back. His free throw shooting leads the league. He's on pace to set all kinds of Blazer records this year for three pointers made and percentage.

The Damon-hating will be a lot more interesting if people present more of an argument than "I don't like him" or "He's short".

And please, if you want to continue this Damon conversation, take it to PM. Better yet, why don't we just create a "*****ing about Damon" thread and pin it to the top. That wasn't the intent of my starting this thread. Rather, I wanted to start a discussion about whether Ha is deserving of the praise many have been giving him.

-Pop

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
I never said Damon was a great player. What I did say is that he gets a fair amount of blame here, which I believe is unfounded. There are at least four players who have literally given up on the season on this team. Damon's not one of them. As a matter of fact, there have been numerous times where he has thrown the entire team on his back. His free throw shooting leads the league. He's on pace to set all kinds of Blazer records this year for three pointers made and percentage.

The Damon-hating will be a lot more interesting if people present more of an argument than "I don't like him" or "He's short".

And please, if you want to continue this Damon conversation, take it to PM. Better yet, why don't we just create a "*****ing about Damon" thread and pin it to the top. That wasn't the intent of my starting this thread. Rather, I wanted to start a discussion about whether Ha is deserving of the praise many have been giving him.

-Pop
Ok how about this, then explain why you are so down on Ha. No one is trying to say he should be starting now, no one is saying he should be starting next year. Basically everyone thinks he has the pysical tools to be an NBA player you can either to aknowledge that or you can stick to your guns and expect 30ppg and 20rpg or he's a failure criteria you laid out when Ha was signed.

Since you personally don't have a career working as an evaluator of talent (nor do I) I would think you would at least lend some credence to the opinions like people Like Tim Grugrich and other coaches scouts and maybe even the devil errrr Nash himself say that Ha has the tools to play the game.

Don't take this the wrong way but it just sounds like sour grapes to me.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Schilly said:
Ok how about this, then explain why you are so down on Ha. No one is trying to say he should be starting now, no one is saying he should be starting next year. Basically everyone thinks he has the pysical tools to be an NBA player you can either to aknowledge that or you can stick to your guns and expect 30ppg and 20rpg or he's a failure criteria you laid out when Ha was signed.

Since you personally don't have a career working as an evaluator of talent (nor do I) I would think you would at least lend some credence to the opinions like people Like Tim Grugrich and other coaches scouts and maybe even the devil errrr Nash himself say that Ha has the tools to play the game.

Don't take this the wrong way but it just sounds like sour grapes to me.
I don't expect Ha to get 30 ppg and 20 rpg. But what I do expect is a guy who is that big to shoot a higher percentage than 10%, to average less than 20 turnovers per minute played, to not fumble the ball out of his own hands, to not lose a tip-off against a player 6 inches shorter than him, etc.

Anyway, read my first post. I basically said, "I don't get the hype. Apparently I'm missing something here."

I mean honestly, don't you think we'd see a glimmer of hope for his future? I haven't seen one decent play out of the guy. And believe me, I'm looking. I want this guy to succeed. I just don't see any reason to believe he'll amount to anything.

-Pop

1 - 20 of 46 Posts