Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Because he does cheap things that he gets away with for his team to be victorious and he was butt buddies with stockten.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Re: Re: Another One of my FAVORITE Players (Sarcasm)

Originally posted by <b>Arclite</b>!

Absurd on so many levels, it isn't even funny. Actually, it is.
Fair enough, Arclite!!!

With YOUR infinite wisdom, why don't YOU share with us your position on this matter and please explain why.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Re: Another One of my FAVORITE Players (Sarcasm)

If you want to say he's a dirty player, that's fine with me. But:

Originally posted by <b>Dynasty Raider</b>!
§ Is one of the dirtiest players to play the game, coupled with being arrogant and believing that he is entitled; however, a lot of the blame should be placed on the League for allowing him (and Stockton) to get away with it to promote their “stars” and the League at that time.

The league promoted Malone? You do realize we're talking a guy who played for the Utah Jazz right? If there was any disciplinary action to be taken against Malone for his knees/elbows, I'm sure the thought of the league losing some its star power because of it was not even on NBA officials' radar. Malone was never a media darling or a nation-wide fan favorite, and the NBA surely never displayed any favoritism when dealing with Malone.

§ Malone sliced up the face of many players with his elbows and nothing measurable was ever done about it. He would especially do it to players whose game was better than his and got in his way of being the “star”, so that the Jazz could win. Most teams went into Utah knowing that if they played to win, someone would be cut up so a lot of them just gave them the game in order to avoid injury.

Utterly absurd, blind hate at its finest. Malone elbowed or kneed or kick boxed or maimed with a large piece of steel Shawn Bradley, Joe Kleine, David Robinson, Isaiah Thomas, some kid on his team in college at LT, or some scrub he played against in college among others. There was no discrimination. The Jazz won because they picked teams apart and executed their game plan as well as any team in NBA history, not because teams decided to be a bunch of pussies and "throw in the towel" because one of them "might" get hurt.

§ When penetrating to the basket, he ALWAYS led with his knee into the groin.
His knee into the groin? You think he judged distance? Whether he was driving on Manute Bol or Muggsy Bogues, his knee was in the same place. It's just the way he plays. Bruce Bowen is so aggressive on defense sometimes that people confuse that aggressiveness with an active intent to ninja-kick white dudes and undercut superstars.

§ His jumpers ALWAYS included the spreading of his legs to kick the nearest player anywhere his feet landed, usually breaking a nose, in the stomach or the ribs.

Hilarious. Find for me one instance where Malone shooting a jumper resulted in another player getting injured where it wasn't that player's own fault for being a total dumbass. The only time in Malone's career I can remember someone getting hurt from him shooting was when Shawn Bradley ran into Malone going full speed, while Malone was taking a jumpshot. Bradley, being the wuss he was, crumpled to the ground in "pain" after he ran into Malone. I believe Malone said something to the effect of, "What happens when a scooter going full speed runs into an 18-wheeler?"

§ One of the sports channels even showed a slow-mo of the dirty tactics of both he and Stockton. How, Stockton would hold a player’s hand to his body by using his own arms, giving the appearance of being held and it worked every time. (I couldn’t really blame Stockton because it was allowed FOR HIM, so why not. And besides, he was not intentionally injuring people, he had just perfected the art of dirty play.)

I hate Malone for that, too! Everyone in the NBA has their own little dirty tricks. There is no chivalry, there is no code of honor.

§ However, the killer for me was when Magic Johnson made an attempt to return to basketball after contracting HIV, Malone started a personal campaign against Magic’s return; publicly stating that he and many other players did not want to play with Magic. Years later, he explains it by saying that everyone was ignorant about the disease at the time. Maybe so, but he was never liked by other ballers and only had strong fan support in Utah (the known enemy of the Lakers) and should have not been the spokesperson, which angered many who believed that he was not speaking for other players, but for himself, and it led to Magic retiring again. Unforgiveable.

Malone wasn't the only player to express concern about playing with Magic, but he was the loudest and most prominent and he got all the heat for it. Magic tried to come back several times unsuccessfully, but quit because "several players expressed concern about playing with him", then finally did make his comeback: "His explanation for this comeback - he has said the NBA's AIDS education has changed player's attitudes and misconceptions about the disease." At that time, Malone's questioning of having to play with Magic was widely controversial, and Malone actually had the support of many sports writers who also lacked knowledge on the subject. Hardly something to hate a guy for, but that's just my opinion and you're surely entitled to yours.

§ Now, after all of those years, he had the nerves to stoop so low as to actually play for the Lakers? I say he actually sabotaged the Lakers (bomb knee, half the season AND the playoffs? Yeah, right!) And, the Lakers? How desperate must one be to hire someone like Karl and “ensure” him a ring?

I don't even need to justify that with a response. If you really think Malone "sabotaged" the Lakers title hopes, I suggest you watch the series against the Rockets and Spurs again.
My whole point is, I don't care if you hate him or not, but if you're going to post a whole bunch of illegitimate reasons on "why" you hate him and others should too, you at least gotta be accurate with it. Hate him because he took your lunch money, has a history of playing with reckless abandon and injuring players and seeming to not care about it, or something like that. There are enough reasons to hate Malone without having to fabricate a bunch of nonsense. You're definitely entitled to your own opinion, but if you're making it based off of those things, I can't help but think that opinion isn't the best. Sorry.

I love Malone. If everyone played like he did and had the same approach to the game that he does, maybe people would take NBA basketball more seriously. It is a smaller injustice he has done by his elbows that knock people out a game, than these new-school jackholes who don't take the game seriously at all and leech millions of dollars while the game slowly loses its integrity. IMO anyways.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
If by 'good', you mean 'slanderous propaganda', then yes. If that was from a remotely unbiased viewpoint, they probably wouldn't provide a link to a pic with a toy Karl Malone with a nail through his head. Not to mention how huge of a leap most of his "violent" pics are.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
So you are saying that the incidents described on the website didn't take place? The ones mentioned since I started following basketball certainly did, and there are plenty I specificially remember that the site doesn't even get to. How do put bias on, "Malone swung his elbow at somebody and broke his nose." This is a black and white issue. Spin really isn't possible, unless you're trying to defend the guy.

Karl Malone has maliciously assaulted numerous NBA players, and doesn't have one bit of remorse about it. The league knows he's going to do hurt someone again, but doesn't ever do anything about it. IMO, he deserved something like a year-long suspension, for repeated acts of violence, about a decade ago.

There isn't a player in all of professional sports who behaves so callously. At least Todd Bertuzi was apologetic about his hit.

Malone gets "hated" on because he deserves it. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When discussing Malone with people, many exoress their hatred for him. Seeing as though he is closing in on Jabbar's all time scoring record, people seem to think he doesn't deserve it.

When I look at Malone, I see a guy that busted his backside for many, many years, improved his game, stayed focused and always, always played the game hard.

What's not to like about that? That he didn't do it for your team?

Anyway, be interested to hear your thoughts

Cheers
Brett
When discussing Malone with people, many exoress their hatred for him. Seeing as though he is closing in on Jabbar's all time scoring record, people seem to think he doesn't deserve it.

When I look at Malone, I see a guy that busted his backside for many, many years, improved his game, stayed focused and always, always played the game hard.

What's not to like about that? That he didn't do it for your team?

Anyway, be interested to hear

41 - 49 of 49 Posts