Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering why people say Kobe should not be MVP is because he does not make his teammates better. Nash's teammates are having career years beside him but didn't Kobe's teammates have great years playing beside him?

Chucky Atkins-Career Year
Caron Butler-Great Year
Chris Mihm-Career Year
Smush Parker-Actually playing in the league and career year.
Kwame Brown-Great year(Don't look at season statistics but recent games.)
Lamar Odom-Great year
Jumaine Jones-Great year

I could see many of the above mentioned(who are in the lakers right now) improve as they get used to the triangle. Kobe is a great playmaker(not at Nash's level but only few are.) and just wanted to say Kobe is no ballhog when it comes to playing.

·
Heat fan since 2001
7,139 Posts
Kobe is going through what Garnett and Tmac went through.

but so far Kobe has had the better 2nd option.

KG best second option was Cassell, Tmac best 2nd option was Mike Miller.

Reactions: bbasok

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
People associate making teammates better with pass first point guards like Nash and Kidd who rack up assists. Not everyone understands that great scoring threats creating spacing for other players by drawing opposing defenses. That's why the Lakers are littered with 7th man type players who are all overachieving playing with Kobe.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Kobe without Shaq = no playoffs.

simply put

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
People associate making teammates better with pass first point guards like Nash and Kidd who rack up assists. Not everyone understands that great scoring threats creating spacing for other players by drawing opposing defenses. That's why the Lakers are littered with 7th man type players who are all overachieving playing with Kobe.
I agree with you, unfortunately when they see other swingmen averaging more assist than Kobe, (like LEBRON) they automtically assume that Kobe is not doing his part.

I guarantee that if we get a pure shooter, Kobe may average 8 dimes a game easily, even with the amount of shots that he's taking right now.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
KOBEDUNKEDONSHAQ said:
I guarantee that if we get a pure shooter, Kobe may average 8 dimes a game easily, even with the amount of shots that he's taking right now.
I still doubt it. Even with shooters, defenses don't double then give up the first open shot. You have to keep swinging the ball until the defense can't rotate fast enough to recover. That's a basic basketball concept if you've played competitive ball. The ball moves faster than defenses can move their feet.

This is why guys like Shaq and Duncan never averaged a whole lot of assists, even though they clearly created countless opportunities for their teammates, and still do that today to a lesser extent. This is why guys like Bruce Bowen can camp in the corner and wait for the ball. Usually the pass will come from the top of the key, even though the defense is stuck recovering because they had to send an extra guy at Duncan.

With Kobe working out of the post a lot this year in the triangle, it happens pretty often. Giving your teammates space to operate is the best way to make them better.

·
Banned
2,186 Posts
It's not really Kobe's job to make his teammates better. He isn't a PG and he isn't a facilitator of an offense. He is the scoring champ. He needs to score in order for the Lakers to win. He made his teammates better when he was the facilitator of the offense back in the early 2000 championship era.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Actually I would argue Cassell is better especially the way he played when he helped lead to Wolves to 58 wins.

When Cassell is happy, he is an exceptional player.

MiamiHeat03 said:

·
Heat fan since 2001
7,139 Posts
Gilgamesh said:
Actually I would argue Cassell is better especially the way he played when he helped lead to Wolves to 58 wins.

When Cassell is happy, he is an exceptional player.
well when Odom plays hard he is exceptional better player just look at how Odom has improved over the last 4 weeks.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
asking kobe to make his teammates better??

its like asking emeril to make filet mignon out of bologne.

its like asking da vinci to make the mona lisa out of crayons.

its like asking jeff godron to win a nascar race with tricycle.

its like asking santana to rock out with a banjo.

its like asking joe montana to win a superbowl with a nerf football.

eh, im done.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
As good as Odom has played over the last few weeks, Cassell was a much better 2nd option during his all-star season with the Wolves.

MiamiHeat03 said:
well when Odom plays hard he is exceptional better player just look at how Odom has improved over the last 4 weeks.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts

I don't know how you make a case that Odom is greater than Cassell, or Miller. Of the three, one has been an allstar, and has championship experience, that being KG's teammate. That team went to the Finals in the West, while Kobe and Odom are pushing to make the playoffs. Cassell is also leading the Clips this year to the best record they've had in years, so he seems to be the best 2nd option of the three.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.