Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
People associate making teammates better with pass first point guards like Nash and Kidd who rack up assists. Not everyone understands that great scoring threats creating spacing for other players by drawing opposing defenses. That's why the Lakers are littered with 7th man type players who are all overachieving playing with Kobe.

· Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
KOBEDUNKEDONSHAQ said:
I guarantee that if we get a pure shooter, Kobe may average 8 dimes a game easily, even with the amount of shots that he's taking right now.
I still doubt it. Even with shooters, defenses don't double then give up the first open shot. You have to keep swinging the ball until the defense can't rotate fast enough to recover. That's a basic basketball concept if you've played competitive ball. The ball moves faster than defenses can move their feet.

This is why guys like Shaq and Duncan never averaged a whole lot of assists, even though they clearly created countless opportunities for their teammates, and still do that today to a lesser extent. This is why guys like Bruce Bowen can camp in the corner and wait for the ball. Usually the pass will come from the top of the key, even though the defense is stuck recovering because they had to send an extra guy at Duncan.

With Kobe working out of the post a lot this year in the triangle, it happens pretty often. Giving your teammates space to operate is the best way to make them better.

· Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
duncan2k5 said:
why do u think smush and Odom are frustrated? i remember when lakers won a game last year when kobe wasn't playing...everyone was having fun running up and down, and Odom said "thats Lamar Odom basketball". great players adapt to their surroundings, and maximize their teammates' talents. kobe hasn't done that yet...and after 9 year in the league, i dont know if he will ever do it.
You're such a great poster because you're so set in your opinion and you're willing to make up things, and you do quite often, to back up your opinion. I enjoy reading your posts.

Smush Parker said he wouldn't be in the league if it weren't for Kobe Bryant. Lamar Odom said after the two straight Jazz losses without Kobe, that they desperately need him out there because when he isn't out there, defenses actually guard them!

Just thought you'd like to know. Not that I expect you to be shouting it from the rooftops, but atleast you're informed a little more now. A little bit each day can go a long way.

· Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
duncan2k5 said:
so you honestly think Lamar is playing better than his miami and clipper years?
I think he is slightly better now, but not much difference. Lamar Odom has been the same player since his rookie year basically. He put on some muscle, but his game hasn't improved, which is okay, because even as a rookie he was pretty good. The only thing that's changed is his expectations. As a 20 year old rookie putting up great numbers (17, 8 and 4) and showing great potential, people thought he should be a superstar. Now he is 26 year old who didn't live up to those expectations with any team (Clippers and Heat included), so people think he got worse. In reality, he is playing better basketball (slightly) than he ever has.

He is scoring a couple points less than usual, but also scoring a lot more efficiently. He is rebounding the ball better than he ever has. He is passing the ball as good as ever, and his defense is as good as it ever has been.

I agree that him and Kobe haven't exactly figured it out yet, but they really like each other and respect each other. That much is obvious if you pay attention to anything coming out of LA. There are games when they play off each other really well, and that tells me that they'll figure it out in due time. The triangle is not an easy offense to learn, so it will take time. Plus they still have some frontcourt issues to address if they want to be a contender.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.