Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Bonner is a smart enough player that he'll find a way out of the slump he's started the season on. I don't think he'll do it in a starters role (what's he being rewarded for, BTW?), but he can only do it with playing time.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Wow, you read my mind

I really liked Bonner's role on the club last year, but it seems he is being asked to play a bigger role this year. It seems as if he is a Sam Mitchell guy, and Sam is going with him a lot more than he should.

I like Bonner but, when we are getting slaughtered on the boards each and every night, having Bonner play so much at the 4 is just compounding the problem. He's an amazing effort guy, but there are limitations to what he can do against superior athletes, that are bigger, longer and can jump higher than him.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Conspiracy Theory in my opinion

He is a fan favourite and is exactly what most people who go to Raptor games can relate to as a person, a hard working blue collar guy.. If you guys go the games, the fans absolutely Love this guy, its beyond me.. Maybe some1 from high up in MLSE gave down the command to play Bonner and Mitchell has no choice because he would rather play other stiffs such as Hoffa and Lauren Woods..... Lauren Woods, haha, thats genius

P.S. Please, nobody take this seriously

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
MangoMangoMango said:
he is a liability on defence....
and shoots poorly from anywhere....

I rather see Araujo or Sow play
Bonner was 4-8 and only got 21 mins.

+ he is the biggest hustler on the team (3 steals tonight)

I actually thought he did ok man to man and on switch offs he never misses an assignment - something even CV31 needs to work on (knowing where to be on help rotations).

that is not a slag on CV31 he is only 20.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
MangoMangoMango said:
he is a liability on defence....
and shoots poorly from anywhere....

I rather see Araujo or Sow play
also I would like to see sow - but 2-night he was in street clothes... will this guy ever be healthy?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
speedythief said:
^ I think they listed him to make room for Martin.
thought they had an open roster spot there - big lebowski?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have no problem, well less problem, with Sam giving Bonner 2nd and 3rd Q time. But he took the shot to go down by one with under a minute left! He is NOT the guy to be taking that shot, James, Charlie, Mo all would have been better bets.

And, Charlz, despite the fact that you didnt see him have a defensive lapse tonite is not saying much. In his other games he has had 4-5 per.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know bonner tried hard.....but it pisses me off when I see Korver grabbing rebounds over bonner.....and when he is in instead of Charlie V.....I was the happiest guy in the world when I saw him going back to the bench with 4 fouls....

and what was with mitchell and having Bonner and araujo on at the same time when we were having a mini run at the end of 2nd?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Bonner is shooting 45% from beyond the 3pt arc, making his adjusted FG% .443. Its not stellar, but its pretty respectable, and there's every reason to believe he'll work his way out of this current funk and return to being the exceptional shooter he was last year. He works hard, he's willing to sacrifice the body, he has good defensive positioning, he doesn't turn the ball over. Given his natural altheticism, you can't ask for more than he's giving, which is why Mitchell is rewarding him with minutes (15 minutes a game). The only two times he's had big minutes were games in which he shot well (6-10, 3-4 from 3pt range and 4-8, 0-1 from 3 pt range), which is likely why Mitchell left him in.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As a follow-up to my previous comment, I don't understand how people can complain about someone like Bonner getting too many minutes and turn around and complain about Araujo not getting enough minutes. Bonner is a much better shooter than Araujo, is better defensively, almost as good a rebounder, gets the same number of assists, steals and blocks, commits less turnovers, commits less fouls. Forget what order Araujo and Bonner were drafted, look at results.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
GuelphRaptorsFan said:
As a follow-up to my previous comment, I don't understand how people can complain about someone like Bonner getting too many minutes and turn around and complain about Araujo not getting enough minutes. Bonner is a much better shooter than Araujo, is better defensively, almost as good a rebounder, gets the same number of assists, steals and blocks, commits less turnovers, commits less fouls. Forget what order Araujo and Bonner were drafted, look at results.
there are two side of the theory, u could say bonner deserves the minutes over Araujo coz he's overachieving and Araujo's underachieving.

BUT

on the other sie of the theory, first of all, it's not dat Araujo drafted himself at the 8th pick, it was Babcock who see the potentials in Araujo and decided he's worth of a lottery pick. So now, you "spend" (i was going to use the word WASTE) a lottery pick on Araujo, but u don't even give him anykind of legitimate minutes. It's not like the Raptors are playing for anything this season except for the first overall pick. Same theory goes to Darko, if you are never going to play Araujo regular, than that lottery pick will definately go to waste. Just like Araujo play, disregard all the mistakes he makes, he doens't even get enough minutes to make mistakes on the court. Bonner on the other hand, hustles, but he has ZERO potential at this point of his career already. He's as good as it gets at this point, and NO, anyone who thinks he has a chance to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot, this is never going to happen. He's best as a hustle and a spot up shooter and that's it. Right now he's trying to do too much and he's getting beat consistently at defense.

some might argue charlie doens't play the best defense in the league as well, but the problem with charlie is dat he doens't realli know how to play good defense yet, but the problem with Bonner is that he CAN'T. Have you ever had those kids in ur school that studies soo hard for every test, attends every class, takes the best note, tries so hard in school but still gets bad mark, because that's as smart as he gets. Some case to bonner...he trieds hard, but he sucks.

Araujo no one knows how good he is, maybe he's worse than Bonner, but as least give him a chance to show that he sucks every night!

Reactions: CrookedJ

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The reason why bonner gets minutes is because he is one of the few raptors who proved last season that they will put it all on the floor for the team

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I wish he would get less minutes. He was listed as our starting C against Boston. Now I don't care how bad our center rotation is, it can't be so bad that Bonner should be starting there. I like him - he's a smart player, good shooter, and great hustler, but he's a 3/4 off the bench, not a starting center.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I have been ragging on Bonner all season, but he has been playing good smart basketball the last few games. He has done very well on the defensive end.

Too bad he can't rebound if his life depended on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts