Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is like a 2 on1 fight. Shaq and his little brother Kobe versus Tim Duncan. Duncan puts up better stats than Shaq but still loses because his little brother is not helping him.

You cannot truly evaluate Kobe or Shaq because they are on the same team.

Would kobe win without Shaq? Hell No

Would shaq win without kobe? Hell No

The Spurs can beat anybody in the L besides the lakers. Because Duncan is a great player and can get them by everybody, but has no help.

Let's break down the stats. Tim Duncan had 67 double-doubles. Shaq played in 67 games.

Tim Duncan:
PPG: 25.5
RPG: 12.7
APG: 3.7
BPG: 2.48
MPG: 40.2
G: 82
FT%: .799
FG%: .508

Shaq:
PPG: 27.2
RPG: 10.7
APG: 3.0
BPG: 2.04
MPG: 36.1
G: 67
FT%: .555
FG%: .579

Confernece SemiFinals

Duncan:
PPG: 29.0
RPG: 17.2
APG: 4.6
BPG: 3.2
MPG: 44.6
FT%: .774
FG%: .425

Shaq:
PPG: 21.4
RPG: 12.2
APG: 3.2
MPG: 39.0
FT%: .639
FG%: .447

I would bet my farm and some chickens that if "Crazy eyes" Grady were on Duncan's team they would beat the Lakers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Shaq is dominate. He is bigger than everbody else and there isn't anyone in the league that can match up with him. That's why Shaq is considered better than Duncan. Shaq has skillz but I think Duncan is the better all-around player. If I was starting a team I would take Shaq, but Duncan would be #2 on that list.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i think shaq could win without kobe

·
Registered
88 Posts
Duncans better and more dominant than Shaq and the numbers prove it. It's not Duncans fault he plays a pretty overall weak team. Even if Shaq would have been healthy Duncan still should have and probaly would have won the MVP award.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I also think that Shaq would win without Kobe much the same way that Duncan wins by himself too. If I were to start a team though, it'd be built around Duncan rather than Shaq. Duncan is all class

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
because when shaq's healthy and playing well, he's just more dominant than duncan. he scores more, shoots a higher %, blocks more shots and rebounds more. this year was an exception in some categories, and duncan deserves credit, and some if it is due to shaq's health. duncan had a better season. doesn't mean he's a better player.

duncan's a great player. so is shaq. they're both tough to stop, strong rebounders and defenders. it's not as lopsided as some think, but overall, i'll take shaq.

as for shaq winning without kobe, it doesn't appear they had that big a margin for error with kobe. and against duncan's spurs, kobe was la's mvp for the 2nd straight season. take kobe off la, and it's likely sa wins. put kobe on sa instead, and sa probably sweeps la (if we're playing the what if game).

a team with shaq as it's nucleus is off to as good a start as you can get. but he can't win without help. he gets lots of help. certainly more than duncan.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So you are saying that Duncan has no support and he is doing better than SHAQ would with NO SUPPORT...What the HELL has he done with his team. He won one championship with a grip of HELP.

Like the other Thread of T-MAC, KOBE, or PIERCE...Please nobody try and get STUPID and say that either guy is not one of the best in the league right NOW!!!

SHAQ is the most dominant player in the league RIGHT NOW...I love DUNCAN as well, but lets not be CRAZY...In all your stats posted Malakian, SHAQ plays like 8 less minutes a game... I am pretty sure the BIG FELLA would put up at least another 6-10 points, especially if it was only him in the 4th quarther. REMEMBER that he has to SHARE the ball with KOBE, and he still has comparable if not BETTER stats than Duncan.

Again...NOBODY be STUPID and put either player DOWN, because on a Franchise Team....BOTH would be STARTERS!!!!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Duncan over Shaq

Shaq is WOWed by so many people becuase he is so dominant he is 7-1 350+ and although Duncans skills more than purpass shaqs no one in the NBA can guard him becuase of his size and strength. Duncan is much better all-around and should be the MVP for years to come becuase no one can match his skills with size except maybe KG. Or JKidd with an MVP becuase although I cant stand the "wife beater" himself he is GOOD! And I am not sure if I am allowed to post a full article that someone from espn wrote but if you want, PM me and I'll let you know what they said about SHAQ DADDY!

I would take Shaq to start a franchise becuase of his dominance!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Originally posted by G.O.A.T
Duncans better and more dominant than Shaq and the numbers prove it. It's not Duncans fault he plays a pretty overall weak team.
How can you say that Duncan is a more dominant player?
Shaq is one of the most dominant players ever. He is just intimidating.

Skills wise Duncan is clearly better.

Duncan is a the better player than Shaq hands down.

You are right about Duncan having a weak team.

Maybe he and Kidd find their way onto the same team.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by Malakian
I would bet my farm and some chickens that if "Crazy eyes" Grady were on Duncan's team they would beat the Lakers.
What is the point of this thread?

Almost every post you make is something ridiculous like, "Kobe would suck if it weren't for Shaq."

McGrady isn't with Duncan, so it doesn't matter what you think.

What you said is like saying, "I bet that if KG and MJ were on the same team, they would beat everybody."

Please stop posting a bunch of mumbo jumbo, about, "If the Lakers didn't have this, they would stink." and "Blah Blah and Blah Blah could beat the Lakers."

Face it, the Lakers don't stink, they have Shaq and Kobe and that's why they are good, whining isn't going to help, and making up stupid combinations of players that could beat Shaq and Kobe just demonstrates how good the Lakers are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tim Duncan is great, but he can't take a game over like Shaq can. Duncan's game is more complete than Shaq's but when it comes down to setting the barometer at the center position, almost all coaches will mention Shaq as being top of the class.

I'm no fan of the Lakers, I'd still take Shaq over Duncan in a heartbeat. Duncan is an example of everything you can ask for in a player and is extremely coachable, but the bottom line is that Shaq is just a freak of nature with no equal.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Lakers either, I'd still take Shaq over Duncan in a heartbeat.

Honestly, I think just about anybody would take Shaq over any big guy when building a team. Jerry West did and that is enough for me.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Re: Re: Why does everyone say Shaq is better than Duncan?

Originally posted by The X Factor

What is the point of this thread?

Almost every post you make is something ridiculous like, "Kobe would suck if it weren't for Shaq."

McGrady isn't with Duncan, so it doesn't matter what you think.

What you said is like saying, "I bet that if KG and MJ were on the same team, they would beat everybody."

Please stop posting a bunch of mumbo jumbo, about, "If the Lakers didn't have this, they would stink." and "Blah Blah and Blah Blah could beat the Lakers."

Face it, the Lakers don't stink, they have Shaq and Kobe and that's why they are good, whining isn't going to help, and making up stupid combinations of players that could beat Shaq and Kobe just demonstrates how good the Lakers are.
agreed, who ever started this thread, Malakian, is just jealous, if they didn't have Kobe or Shaq then they wouldnt be the Lakers... seems to me like you are just a jealous clippers fan who hates the Lakers... the Lakers DO have Kobe, and they DO have Shaq so they are GOOD, stop trying to rip on the lakers, I hate them too but you need to give them credit

·
Registered
15 Posts
This again? Geez..

Well, Shaq, though I don't like to admit it, has some skill. His size is what makes him better then Duncan.

Duncan is a fundamental player. He knows the basics of the game, he can carry his team, he's a big man, and he's got some serious skill.

Shaq has skill, as well. I doubt every 7'1" 300+lb player can play like Shaq, but the size does play a large factor in his accomplishments.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I agree with the X FACTOR everybody seems to like to post threads about who would you take, Shaq's only good for this Kobe's only good because of that, respected NBA people rate Kobe and Shaq ahead of DUNCAN,MCGRADY,PIERCE, bottom line, everyone wants to dis Shaq saying he's better because of his size and that's ridiculous he's probably one of the most athletic players in the world no matter what position plus his post moves are incredible along with his game smarts, Now DUNCAN isn't the athlete Shaq is therefore he has to set up further outside of the paint and he has a better jumpshot but who cares when if you can dunk everytime you shouldn't be shooting jumpers, If Shaq displayed all the other skills he posses he'd be ridiculed as a big guy who plays to much on the perimeter

And please McGrady is a great player ,so is Pierce, but Kobe is the standard, in todays game on the outside Shaq is on the inside thats why they've won 3 titles and counting ,Shaq hasn't won jack without Kobe yeah he could win regular season games but so would Kobe without Shaq, BUT NEITHER WOULD BE CHAMPIONS WITHOUT THE OTHER,

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Originally posted by Malakian

Dam skippy. And the Spurs wouldnt even need to sweat out any game 7's like Shaq does.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts