Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And don't say coaching because they don't play the game. The Pacers have a complete roster they just got done pushing the Nets to double OT in game 5. The young guys gained the valuable experience they needed. They have no spot that is a need.

PG:Jamaal Tinsley- He was injured in the playoffs and was out of shape last year. Buit he has been working out with Al Harrington and is built like a tank. when you see him you will not know who he is. He looks way differnet and knw what to expect this season. Last year he hit the 40 game wall, this year he will know what to expect and he got some experience in the playoffs.

SG:Reggie Miller- What can you say? The greatest clutch player of all time. Has been to the Finals. Does crazy **** in the clutch like hit 40 footers and dunk on three people. The most prolific 3 point shooter of all time. Is the leader of this team.

Ron Mercer- Comes off of screens and has a good mid range game. When he gets hot with his jumpshot you better watch out, because he will not miss, in the playoffs he hit like three shots in a row versus the Nets in three consecutive plays and forced them to call timeout. Is a veteran.

SF: Ron Artest- Imo the best perimeter and one on one defender in the league. Has a great mentality of trying to be the best and he thinks no one can guard him. Sometimes he needs to layoff and keep his emotions in check, but overall brings a needed intensity.

Al Harrington- Not a bad defender himself. Not as good of a defender as Artest, but is a better scorer and rebounder and will only get better. Was the 6th man of the year before he tore his ACL.

Jonathan Bender- Is electrifying. Puts up at least one thing for the highlight reel per game. In the playoffs he was lost but this year he knows what to expect. Can be a star. Needs to improve rebounding and defending. But he is only 21 and just got done growing. Has great range for a guy that is 7'1.

PF: Jermaine O'Neal- The franchise player and future of the Indiana Pacers. Great shot blocker and great post up game. Has been in the playoffs evry year of his career. will have something to prove this year after getting outplayed by Kenyon Martin. Will be improving and is also on a contract year. He will need to prove he is worth the max. Which I bet he will do. I have him being the best PF in the East and second best in the league behind Duncan.

C: Brad Miller- Is vastly underrated. IMO the second best center in the league. Which is not saying much but is worth what it is. Put up 15 and 8 and has a great 15 foot jumper that brings defenders out of the lane and opens it up for O'Neal. will get better this season. Dare I say 18 and 10?

Jeff Foster- C or PF- These 3 are the rotation in the frontcourt. Two of them are always on the court. Jeff Foster is also underrated because he has to play behind O'Neal and Miller. Is foul prone, but he is a tenacious rebounder and gets after them in the limited minutes he has. Was one of the league leaders in rebounds per 48 minutes. Jayson williams called him the white Dennis Rodman. Is that a compliment or an insult?

So as you can see there are no pressing needs, most of them are young and will get better. They gained valuable experience last year in he playoffs. The only need I can think of is a veteran back up point guard, but Donny said he is taking care of that. So I see no reason why they can't go to the Finals.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
"I have him being the best PF in the East and second best in the league behind Duncan."

You mean you think he's the 2nd best PF?

Ahead of Webber, Wallace, Dirk, Brand, KG?

I think you are a big Pacers fan :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
ok when i listed the pacers as 8th in the east next year it wasnt because of there lack of talent, they obviously have talent, its just that i had a reason for putting all the teams ahead of them. they do not have a dominant scorer, o neal s their leading scorer, but hes NOT gonna be the second best pf in the league next year. tinsley is going to need another year, hes great and all and he could lead the league in assists in coming years but next year he will improe but not by a whole lot. miller will put up 15 and 8 or so again, with o neal as their leading scorer there is no room for him to score 18, and artest and harrington are great at sf, but this team just doesnt have what it takes YET to but it all the talent together and win 50 games, maybe 2003-2004 they can be near the tops in the east but next year they will still be just out of the lottery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
First of all Dirk and KG are both SF, second of all right now J O'Neal is better than Rasheed and Brand. third of all, even if Dirk was a PF he's still waaaaaaaaaay overhyped and has no D so I'd probaly rank Jermaine ahead of him

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say the only PF's that are right now ahead of O'Neal are Webber and Duncan. I think he will have an even more improved year and will pass Webber.

P.S. KG and Dirk are SF's

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I think the Pacers will be above .500 and improving....I'd like to see a rematch with the Nets again.

My top 5 in the East
1) Nets
2) C's
3) Sixers (if all are healthy & AI isn't thuggin it)
4) Hornets
5) Magic/Pacers

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by LA-Drew
I think the Pacers will be above .500 and improving....I'd like to see a rematch with the Nets again.

My top 5 in the East
1) Nets
2) C's
3) Sixers (if all are healthy & AI isn't thuggin it)
4) Hornets
5) Magic/Pacers
Philly is fresh out of young talent after trading Claxton.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Clax - He wasn't really effective anyway, with the re-vamp roster they have, they'll put a fight next year, and Deke is still waiving NO-NO in the paint.

·
Registered
697 Posts
uhh..

okay you must be a crack monkey.. their is no way oneal is the second best pf in the league.. even if he does improve.. maybe top 5..but not top 2... look at the stats from last year.. he doesnt have enuff inside game to be a top 3 pf..

oneal- 47% fg, 19 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.3 bpg, 1.6 apg, .6 spg
brand - 53% fg, 18.2 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 2.0 bpg, 2.4 apg, 1 spg
SAR - 46% fg, 21.2 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.0 bpg, 3.1 apg, 1.3 spg
webber- 50% fg, 24.5 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 1.4 bpg, 4.8 apg, 1.7 spg
b wallace - 53% fg, 7.6 ppg, 13 rpg, 3.5 bpg, 1.4 apg, 1.7 spg
mcdyess - 50% fg, 20.8ppg, 12.1 rpg, 1.5 bpg, 2.1 apg, .6 spg
(mcdyess stats are from 00-01.. he hardly palyed last year)
that being said, stats dont matter very much.. whats more important is how thy play..
oneal has a good midrange gamebut hes not as good as the others in the low post imo..
brand is a much better player in the low post, can extend on his jumper but not a good midrange player.. id still take him over oneal tho..
sar is a better all around player in my opinion.. hes not as good of an inside defender as oneal.. but much better outside.. hes quicker then oneal imo, and has a better perimiter game(although he cant shoot the three)..
webber.. is better..i dont think i need to explain....
wallace.. id rather have on my team just because of how dominant he is on defense and on the boards.. he also has heart and soul and is a very intense player.. if he learns how to finish inside and develop some post moves then hed be a scary player..
mcdyess is a better player.. mcdyess athleticism is fantastic... i dont think hes as strong as oneal, but he is a better player iimo, but i dont consider him a real franchise player.. oh yeah.. dont forget about pau gasol.. hes the same type of player as oneal but much worse in the post and better on the perimiter..

brad miller.. 2nd best center in the league.. you have got to be kidding me.. im not even gonna dignify that with a response..

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by LA-Drew
Clax - He wasn't really effective anyway, with the re-vamp roster they have, they'll put a fight next year, and Deke is still waiving NO-NO in the paint.
Yeah, he didn't fit in with Iverson size-wise, but he was still talent. Who did they trade him for? Oh yeah. Mark Bryant:laugh: Basic Sixers move from the last two years. Trade talent for dead weight. Deke is on his last leg. Dalembert needs to get more playing time, so he can be traded for Danny Ferry.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Originally posted by Malakian

Yeah, he didn't fit in with Iverson size-wise, but he was still talent. Who did they trade him for? Oh yeah. Mark Bryant:laugh: Basic Sixers move from the last two years. Trade talent for dead weight. Deke is on his last leg. Dalembert needs to get more playing time, so he can be traded for Danny Ferry.
They traded him for Mark Bryant, John Salmons, and Randy Holcomb. Never in my life, would I have thought that Speedy Claxton would warrant three players in return, but they got it, and I was happy with the move.

And Malakian, do you need to see everyone say "Pacers #1" for you to be happy? If you think they'll be one of the top teams in the East, that's your opinion, be happy, no reason to try to force others into believing the same, because whether you know it or not.. the opinions made won't be changed with force.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
For everyone who says Jermaine O'Neal is 2nd best is CRAZY???
Lets see Duncan, CWebb, Antoine Walker, Brand, and Sheed is better also and as much as I hate to say it Karl Malone is still better than O'neal(even though I hate Malone) and I think Jermain Oneal is about the equivalent of a Tim Thomas. Neither have done crap except maybe a Most Improved Award.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like all that bratwurst has gotten to w-h-i-t-e-b-o-ys head.
O'Neal's better than Wallace (Why is he so damn overrated? Seriously, I've never seen him do anything worth all the hype), Brand (Jermaine had better numbers last year, and is younger and has loads more potential than Brand, every GM in the NBA would take Jermaine ahead of Elton), Malone (He's old and withered, time to retire geezer). The only PF I would rnak ahead of Jermaine right now is DUncan and Webber, and he's catching up to Webber in a hurry.

·
Registered
50 Posts
oneal is probably top 5 pf in the league. All these players play differently. I mean walker plays like a shooting guard. If i was going to create a team i would prolly take webber for my 4.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
J.Oneal, is coming up and improving, but he's not ranked as one of the best PF's in the league.....maybe not yet or maybe when he can prove he'll show up for a playoff game or when he can prove KMart doesn't own him as well.....and IMO KMart isn't considered as a top PF in the league....yet, but he'll be up there as well, he's more physical on D than O'Neal. Pls don't throw any stats or numbers back, you can forget about what a player did all year if he does'nt show up for the playoffs or finals.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Originally posted by *NSYNC
Looks like all that bratwurst has gotten to w-h-i-t-e-b-o-ys head.
O'Neal's better than Wallace (Why is he so damn overrated? Seriously, I've never seen him do anything worth all the hype), Brand (Jermaine had better numbers last year, and is younger and has loads more potential than Brand, every GM in the NBA would take Jermaine ahead of Elton), Malone (He's old and withered, time to retire geezer). The only PF I would rnak ahead of Jermaine right now is DUncan and Webber, and he's catching up to Webber in a hurry.
There is no way that every GM in the league would take O'Neal over Brand. Maybe one day, but not yet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Greatest Clutch Player of All Time??? no

Have you ever heard of a guy named Michael Jordan???

Now Reggie is one of the best clutch shooters, but not the best!

MJ has hit the game winners in championships, Reggie has never been to one, so MJ definitely has the advantage. Plus MJ has 6 rings, Reggie none.

·
Registered
72 Posts
rings have nothing to do with clutch play when you have the refs on your side....do i remember a 4 point play that was how do you say...not the best call ever.

·
Registered
297 Posts
rings have nothing to do with clutch play when you have the refs on your side....do i remember a 4 point play that was how do you say...not the best call ever.
Does it matter if you're clutch in anything but the championship? I've seen Reggie make many, many huge shots, but he never got a ring. Since, MJ has the rings he's the better clutch player.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.