Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

why doesn't carmelo get the respect he deserves

4K views 141 replies 47 participants last post by  Diable 
#1 ·
everybody say that lebron is better but the truth is carmelo has made the playoffs every year he's been in the nba and i know yall will say he had a better cast around him but in his rookie year he brought bascally the same teamwith 18 wins the year before to the playoffs lebron has had a all star play with him in big z and he still hasnt played a playoff game (i know he's going to make it this year but i'm talking about right now)

#3 ·
Because everyone is a brainless LeBron groupie. I think if LeBron were to start raping 3 year old boys half this board would start doing it too. But yea, Carmelo for sure deserves more love then LeBron gets. Carmelo has never missed the playoffs as the leader of the Nuggets. He's a great scorer, and clutch as hell. LeBron makes his first game winner ever against the Bobcats. Yet 'Melo again takes over the 4th quarter and sticks it to the world champ Spurs and nobody talks about it. LeBron of course will get the free pass though. "ooohh, his supporting cast stinks." Big Z is an all-star, Gooden is ok, and in year 1 he even had Boozer and Ricky Davis. But of course the he didn't have help excuse flies on by. "ooohhh.. LeBron does play D because he gets some steals.' He gets steals here and there because he gambles so much. On the plays he doesn't steal the ball he's getting owned. "oohhh... LeBron hit a game winner!! Fuk u hat0rz!!!" Yea, it's about time. Where you been the past 2 3/4 years?

Carmelo > LeBron

#5 ·
The answer is simple , look at those stats, and the effect of those players in the League. In terms of getting into Play off, it is not that important to be there, but what you did out there is of great importance.

You cant consider a team with only one player , look at Minnesota, they have Kg and Ricky , but arent making play off this year, but this does not change the reality of Kg' being much better than Gasol , Rashedd whose teams are already clinched play off.

Try to take it in a broad perspective.

#8 ·
o.iatlhawksfan said:
everybody say that lebron is better but the truth is carmelo has made the playoffs every year he's been in the nba and i know yall will say he had a better cast around him but in his rookie year he brought bascally the same teamwith 18 wins the year before to the playoffs lebron has had a all star play with him in big z and he still hasnt played a playoff game (i know he's going to make it this year but i'm talking about right now)
Because he is no where near as talented as LeBron. He came into the league with a far better offensive game than LeBron and even then could only barely outscore him and has been falling further behind ever since.

However anyone with half a brain would know that the season the Denver got Carmello, they had a huge turnover in players. That squad was nowhere close to the squad from the previous season.

#10 ·
o.iatlhawksfan said:
everybody say that lebron is better but the truth is carmelo has made the playoffs every year he's been in the nba
Because LeBron is the better player while the Nuggets are the better team. I know it's easier to boil teams down to a single player, but it's neither logical nor true.

and i know yall will say he had a better cast around him but in his rookie year he brought bascally the same teamwith 18 wins the year before to the playoffs
Same team minus Marcus Camby, Kenyon Martin, Andre Miller and Earl Boykins. Basically, all their other best players other than Nene, who was a raw rookie that season.

Their starting lineup in their 17 win season was Nene, Juwon Howard, Ryan Bowen, Vincent Yarbrough and Junior Harrington.

So, no, he didn't "take basically the same team that won 18 games the year before to the playoffs." He was part of a much, much more talented team all around.

And yes, he's had a better cast than James.

#11 ·
This season I would say Carmelo has taken strides in his offensive efficiency and shot selection. He's very good offensively. Lebron still has the edge in that category with his passing and ball handling abilities. Lebron is also a better rebounder, better in the lanes, blocking shots, shooting, etc. Just a better all around player.

But I was anti-Melo for years and he plays a much better floor game now. He should make the all-star team next season.

#12 ·
in 2002-2003 the nuggets consisted of Howard, Harvey, Blount, White, Whitney, Posey, Hilario, Bowen, Skita, Yarbrough, Satterfield and Crotty.

2003-2004 nuggets have Anthony of course, Hilario, Camby, Miller, Barry, Boykins, Lenard, White, Doleac, Andersen, Bowen and Ellison.

Maybe you should do a little research before you make such stupid statements.

#13 ·
That's like my cape, James said. If you knock a superhero's cape off they get very angry.
Another reason to dislike LeBron. He's got a super huge ego. Superhero? Superhero's save the day all the time. Not once out of 220+ times against the Bobcats. You are no 'superhero', and you are not a 'chosen one' either. You're an overhyped basketball player is what you are.

#14 ·
Carbo04 said:
Another reason to dislike LeBron. He's got a super huge ego. Superhero? Superhero's save the day all the time. Not once out of 220+ times against the Bobcats. You are no 'superhero', and you are not a 'chosen one' either. You're an overhyped basketball player is what you are.
dONT you think he was mature enough up to now ? he played his game , made that stats, never boast about that. with this seaon , he is acting like super star, as he did in All Star game, ( commenting on being Mvp ) It is high time he acted like this, he is right to say it even if this is the first time to have GW shot. But if you take a look at it last periods you will see how he played, for a match to win you need not make that last shot at the end.

Take it easy right , he is the next 10 years of NBA. Let him say so ..

#15 ·
I love Carmelo. I was thinking about making a Melo appreciation thread, but I look at this thread and it just turns into a hate fest. BTW ESPN was bashing LeBron last night and praising Melo so take it as you will. LeBron has been getting a steady bashing from the media the last couple of months. Melo has gotten nothing but love. Some will continue to not have cognition of these events and ignore them. For all you fans mad that your favorite player is threatened by the love and "hype" LeBron gets suck a fat ****.

#17 ·
The Cavs are better than the Nuggets right now and have been better for the brunt of the season. So even if you are just talking team success, this season Lebron's team has been better.

If you were to turn the discussion to the two players, the only thing Melo does better than Lebron is hit last second shots--but he does that better than Kobe, but I wouldn't say he's better than Kobe.

What does Melo actually do on the basketball court better than Lebron? Lebron has better handles. He shoots the ball better from outside. He finishes in the paint better. He has much better court vision. He's the better defender both as a help defender, and as a man to man defender. The only thing Melo has on Lebron is that he has a quicker first step, and a fatter ***. But he has those same advantages on every other player in the league, and it doesn't mean he's better than Kobe or Elton or Steve Nash or Dirk.

And it's going to suck for you arrogant haters if Lebron gets out of the first round this year, and Melo is still stuck in it.

#20 ·
The last ten games Carmelo Anthony has been averaging 29 points on 60% shooting and 85% FT shooting. .... WOW.

#21 ·
lebron seems to be getting more hate the last two years than love, what are you talking about? and anyone with half a brain and one eye can see that bron is better than melo. bron is top 5 in the NBA, is melo top 5? not even close

#22 ·
futuristxen said:
The Cavs are better than the Nuggets right now and have been better for the brunt of the season. So even if you are just talking team success, this season Lebron's team has been better.

If you were to turn the discussion to the two players, the only thing Melo does better than Lebron is hit last second shots--but he does that better than Kobe, but I wouldn't say he's better than Kobe.
I have to disagree with that statement. Perhaps I would agree with, "he has hit more last second shots than Kobe has this year." To make the judgment that he is BETTER than Kobe at last second shots, one would have to ponder a similar scenario for the two. If Kobe and Melo had ten seconds on the clock and they both have one defender on them, I would not blindly pick Melo to hit the shot over Kobe. The majority of the "clutch" shots that Kobe has taken this year has been in the face of two or three defenders. (due to his deplorable teammates) Melo, on the other hand, has had the luxury of single coverage all year long. Different situations. No clear cut winner.

#23 ·
I felt bad for him last season. So many fans just wrote him off as a Glenn Robinson clone. I was one of the few non nuggett fans who actually thought he hadn't peaked and could take his game to another level and another one after that and another after that.

That being said he still aint Lebron and if this thread is supposed to be about 'Melo then why are you mentioning Lebron???

Reactions: BaLLiStiX17
#24 ·
Carmelo is great. He has an unbelievable ability to put the ball in the hoop in a variety of ways, plus the attack mode mentality, otherwise known as killer instinct, where he knows how good of a scorer he is and just wants to go out and abuse people. There is nobody in the league who can guard him, because he has the post game, size and strength to abuse smaller guys, and the quickness/perimeter game to abuse bigger stronger guys. Kind of like Barkley did.

Carmelo is a great scorer, and his defense has looked above average lately. It's no longer a weakness for him. Props to George Karl for the emphasis on the defense and the efficient scoring. He got Carmelo focusing on defense, and actually utilizing his strengths on offense instead of settling.

One thing Carmelo could still improve on is rebounding. He could be a 28/8/4 type player for a long time. He has the tools right now.

#25 ·
Next year when Denver is going to the Western Conference Finals, with Melo leading them, no one will deny his talent.

#26 ·
For starters, Melo wasn't drafted straight out of high school. Kids drafted out of high school get more attention. Another reason, Melo is on a better team. The problem is everyone looks past Melo and thinks about Camby, Miller, Martin, etc. If Carmelo was a Cav and LeBron was a Nugget, Melo would get the attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.