Imagine: you are a lottery team

you can try to win games
then you don't make the playoffs
and you get a pick in the late lottery

or

you can try to lose game
then you don't make the playoffs
and get a top pick

so, it's better for lottery teams to lose. why don't they try to lose more ?

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Having such a loser attitude won't amount to anything and would certainly not please the fans, not only would it tarnish the image of the team (so no FA would want to sign with them), it is very demoralizing for the players of the team. What kind of message are you sending them? You are losers? So might as be the biggest losers?

There is a concept of "competition" I sense you lack. Do you play organize sports?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well the reason some lottery teams dont lose more is because they believe they have a decent core which needs the experience of winning. you saw that last year with Golden State, and are seeing it this year with the Utah Jazz. these teams feel that by winning 2 or 3 more games, they will gain experience beyond what any college player could give them.

the other kind of team is the ones were the players just wont quit. I think Houston this year will be a team like that. they are for the most part done, but players like Yao Ming are still trying to drive them to a victory or two.

then of corse you have those teams who have legitamite playoff hopes. like the Bulls and the Hornets have this year. these teams think they can make the playoffs, so they're giving it their all.

and lastly there are those teams who just dont suck bad enought to lose to the Knicks, Hawks or Bobcats.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yup, you don't learn much from wanting to lose. I can understand if certain teams are almost the bottom but not quite and they want to tank a few games. That's about it.

The bottom tier are already bottoms, so they may as well play their best ball and see if it's worth keeping the core.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
You play to win. It's as simple as that. Besides the thread question already answered it. It is a lottery so it's not a sure bet that the team is going to get the pick that their record warrants. They can slide, rise or stay put in the draft lottery depending on the ping pong balls.

Reactions: shookem

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Here's the problem with the NBA. Most teams are one great player away from being at least right in the mix. Now that great player may be tied to position, like the Bobcats needing a superstar wing or the Hawks needing a big man in the worst way, but when you judge most NBA teams, the talent tends to be not that much different.

The only difference in the NBA is the fact that certain teams have difference makers.

Thes guys have names like Dirk and Nash and Shaq and Duncan.

Losing on purpose does nothing to help the team, because it's still a lottery and the NBA draft is still a crapshoot. For as much as I'd like to believe I know about who will and won't bust, the fact is, the draft is a crapshoot and any guy could prove you right and any guy could prove you wrong.

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
HKF said:
Here's the problem with the NBA. Most teams are one great player away from being at least right in the mix. Now that great player may be tied to position, like the Bobcats needing a superstar wing or the Hawks needing a big man in the worst way, but when you judge most NBA teams, the talent tends to be not that much different.

The only difference in the NBA is the fact that certain teams have difference makers.

Thes guys have names like Dirk and Nash and Shaq and Duncan.

Losing on purpose does nothing to help the team, because it's still a lottery and the NBA draft is still a crapshoot. For as much as I'd like to believe I know about who will and won't bust, the fact is, the draft is a crapshoot and any guy could prove you right and any guy could prove you wrong.
Overall percentage wise though: number one picks tend to be better players then number two picks and number two picks tend to be better on average then number 3 picks.

That being said even if the percentage of number one picks that become stars is greater it still mean a certain number fail: so it always a crapshoot

·
Premium Member
21,860 Posts
I really don't think this should even be thought about unless you're like...one game out of last. Might as well bomb it and up your chance of getting the higher pick. But bombing an entire season, or even a slightly long stretch is absurd.

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
its called the players and coaches still have a lot to play for (ie a contract)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.