Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With two mid-draft picks why don't we just draft mccants and felton, it will benefit them, our guard situation will improve drastically, and finally it wil also help resigning them in a few years. We desperately need guards, correction Good Guards, Rafer is good but I can't see us goign deep into the playoffs with him, also mo p is not great hes an average offensive and slightly above average defesensive player. We should either draft one of those players or alternatively draft danny granger, very very good on the boards.

If we draft these players, i believe we will get in with something like the 6th seed or better next year.

Rafer/Felton
Mccants/Mo P (or vice versa)
jalen/ eric williams
Bosh/Bonner
Hoffa/ Sow/Woods

This team is signifcantly improved from this year

04-05bosh <05-06 Bosh
Felton> Palacio!!!
Maccants > Mo P
Hoffa will have to see about, I seem to be one of his only supporters in my neighbourhood, but the more I see Iggy it, the more faith i lose, but i still believe he can be that Centre that we need. The man just needs to play and lose a bit of weight perhaps. Athletics can be worked on, however skill cannot. Timing is a huge factor he will have to work on, his attitude seems about average. At the very least he should be a role player.

I think in 06-07 we will be a seroius playoff conteder, because Bosh will be in his prime, we will have addressed our current needs and we will have cap room. So i deffinately have not given up on the purple and black just yet.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Felton should be on our radar. Good passer, good defender, athletic, good shooter, and can finish.

McCants I'm not sold on, yet. He's not a great athlete, he's not all that fast or defensive, and he's a bit of a chucker. People shoot over him and that worries me a little. I'd sooner take someone a bit bigger, someone who can be a good rebounder, and someone who won't need the ball in his hands to be effective.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'm sold on Felton, sign me up! :yes:
however I not as sure about McCants. The games I've seen of his, he hasn't overly impressed me for the hype he's getting

I hope with the other Toronto draft pick they will go for a SF in Warrick, Green

Reactions: Turkish Delight

·
The Future is Here
3,563 Posts
adhir1 said:
if its Marvin Williams and Raymond Felton im in....if its Felton and Mccants..im out
99.9 percent chance that won't happen, to get both Felton and Marvin Williams. Not even sure if Williams will declare this year.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I think Williams will declare.

As for McCants his stock has fell alot this year. UNC just rolled along without him. Some had him as the best "scorer" in the country, and he can score in so many ways - that has not really played itself out this year. Morrison is a better "scorer" then him.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I cant stress how much I would hate for us to draft Mccants.

I mean we don't need a player like that. He is a scorer, thats about it. We don't need a guy that can score, and pretty much nothing else. His ballhandling, defense, passing skills, rebounding are all weak areas of his game. All of this, and I haven't even mentioned that he is a 6'3 SG, has bad shot selection, and is a headcase.

Sounds like the exact type of player we DON'T want.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
vigilante said:
I cant stress how much I would hate for us to draft Mccants.

I mean we don't need a player like that. He is a scorer, thats about it. We don't need a guy that can score, and pretty much nothing else. His ballhandling, defense, passing skills, rebounding are all weak areas of his game. All of this, and I haven't even mentioned that he is a 6'3 SG, has bad shot selection, and is a headcase.

Sounds like the exact type of player we DON'T want.
how many UNC games have you seen this year your view on mc Cants is way off

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
McCants is a decent player but wont amount to too much in the NBA imo....hes fairly good on defense and is a very strong scorer, however hes very undersized at 6'3 and is going to be stuck as a tweener since he hasnt been responsible with managing a game with felton in the backcourt....

plus if a guy like Villenueva or Warrick were around at that 2nd first rounder, then I much rather take them, as they seem to have a higher ceiling than McCants in the NBA with their size and athletic ability....McCants really needs to show up big in both the final games of the tournament against some big name teams and show up big in the pre-draft workouts for us to pick him up in the mid first round imo...

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Not a big fan of Felton. He must become more consistent. I would not Hate the pick, wouldn't love it.

McCants not with one of the 2 we have now.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Mr_B said:
how many UNC games have you seen this year your view on mc Cants is way off
Actually his view is pretty bang on - and I have seen the following UNC Games this year.

UNC - Duke (twice)
UNC - Indiana
UNC - UConn
UNC - Kentucky
UNC - Wake (twice)
UNC - Georgia Tech (twice)
UNC - Clemson

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
i'm not a big felton fan. he looks too much like palacio.

like seriously. they're brothers.

i think i'm in butr's boat, though. i wouldn't hate the pick, it just wouldn't be my ideal outcome for this draft. it's also occured to me that we might not pick a pure point guard/floor general this year at all. i don't know how proud rob babcock is as a man, but i'm not sure how eager he is to replace the player he signed to a six-year deal last summer. i mean, chris paul would be (imo) a sensational pickup but i don't expect him to declare- and even if he does, i don't expect him to slide past charlotte or atlanta in the lottery. but if we somehow found ourselves in a position to take chris (though i don't want to get ahead of myself here), i don't know if rob could even justify that pick to himself given rafer's long deal, etc.

mitchell and babcock have both reiterated a desire to develop alston into one of the premier point guards in the league and i don't know how easily they could be swayed to hand over the reigns to another. in my world, it would be a no-brainer, but they don't live in my world. there are other things to consider in their world.

still, it doesn't have to be paul, i just wanted to use him as an example. he is without question my favourite guard in the pool, and if babcock would have a tough time taking him (imo), i could only imagine what he'd think about a 1 like felton. i think he could find a way out with a player like jack, in terms of his "combo guard" possibilities, and i'm thinking we're going to somehow end up with jack the more i hear these guys talk about the draft, but who knows.

some days i wake up thinking we know exactly what player we're gonna take already, some days i wake up thinking the opposite. i think the other transactions we're planning to make over the course of the summer will probably go a long way in determining how we use our 1/2 first rounders.

peace

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
ballocks said:
mitchell and babcock have both reiterated a desire to develop alston into one of the premier point guards in the league and i don't know how easily they could be swayed to hand over the reigns to another. in my world, it would be a no-brainer, but they don't live in my world. there are other things to consider in their world.
Well the thing is IMO, we're not drafting a point guard to take over this season or even next season. We're drafting a point guard for two reasons - first of all because this is an incredibly deep point guard draft and a team like the Raptors can't pass one up, and secondly because we're going to need a point guard for the future, once Rafer's productivity goes down.

As much as I love Rafer, he's like 28 right now, so I don't know how much developing he can do from here on out. I think he's going to be a much better and more stable, if you will, starting point guard in the league next year, and him and Alvin would both make good mentors for any rookie PG, considering what both of them went through to get a shot in the NBA.

Either way though, Rob would be out of his mind not to take a PG. We need to groom one for the future, and the 2005 draft is the perfect time to pick up our future point guard. It doesn't really interfere with Rafer's starting job or his progress in the league, just makes us a better and more dangerous team, not just now but for the future as well.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
ballocks said:
some days i wake up thinking we know exactly what player we're gonna take already, some days i wake up thinking the opposite. i think the other transactions we're planning to make over the course of the summer will probably go a long way in determining how we use our 1/2 first rounders.

peace

Great point.

Everyone knows who I want. But what if Rob has laid groundwork to trade parts of the existing roster to solidify the 4/5 and the 1? He has said he has had these discussions and that player turnover is a possibility. That Denver pick as I've said before, adds flexibility in terms of trades for players or a pick this summer.

This does not change who I want because the qualities they posess I find to be rare. With the depth of swings, I think there will be several available later on in the draft that I would be excited to have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts