Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Um Webster has been playing in games..not big minutes, but he has been playing within the rotation. I could see sending some player if they were on the reserve list every night, but not in this situation.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I have heard there is 'real' concern about the coaching/teaching that would go on at the NBDL. Teams have little say in what is worked on, corrected, etc. Might as well play at the YMCA.

Have any other teams sent players 'down'?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
Have any other teams sent players 'down'?
So far these guys have been allocated to the D-League:

Peter John Ramos - Wizards
Ersan Ilyasova - Bucks
Dijon Thompson - Suns
Bracey Wright - Timberwolves
Dwayne Jones - Timberwolves

·
Registered
825 Posts
I would venture to bet that NBA practices are more competitive than any D-league game. Webster is competing for playing time, he just isn't getting it yet, but he will soon I would suspect.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I suspect that when 1 or 2 of our Guards/SF's disappear they want him right there to step in and have had some prior experience.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
cpt.napalm said:
I suspect that when 1 or 2 of our Guards/SF's disappear they want him right there to step in and have had some prior experience.
Assuming we make a trade (and that's a big assumption), that's probably the most likely scenario.

That, and the Blazers brass have expressed a collective uneasiness about how the players will get experience in the NBDL; IIRC, they don't want to send Ha down, because there aren't any big men for him to go up against.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
After summer league and comments from players during practice (before preseason games), I was really excited to see what Webster could do. I know it is early and he is just a kid, but how did he go from all that hype to being a non factor on the team?

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I've always thought that nba practices are better then dleague im glad we kept him to practice with the team.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
BIG Q said:
I would venture to bet that NBA practices are more competitive than any D-league game.
I agree. Not just more competetive though, more informative.

Still, I can't help but wonder what it would be like for one of our young guys to go down to Fort Worth and play for a month or two. Getting sent down to the NBDL could be a good thing for the right person, a player who can self-motivate and who wants to improve and not just prove that he can play. Martell might be that kind of player, I'm not sure the others are (ha jack telfair khryapa monia).

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
The NBDL is setup more for big men to develop and late draft picks, not guards who should earn NBA playing time instead.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
The NBDL is stocked mostly with un-schooled talent being schooled by has-been's, never-were's and wanna-be's as far as coaches and there is no oversight as to what constitutes "developement".

Until each team is basically controlled by a parent NBA team, the league is just another playground league.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts