Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, ESPN has been using a program that allows them to simulate 10,000 possible outcomes of how the Lakers will finish their last 48 games as a way to determine their chances of making the playoffs.

Well, the Lakers are not the only team that are under or near 0.500. Therefore, why are they only providing the outcomes for the Lakers?

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Ok, ESPN has been using a program that allows them to simulate 10,000 possible outcomes of how the Lakers will finish their last 48 games as a way to determine their chances of making the playoffs.

Well, the Lakers are not the only team that are under or near 0.500. Therefore, why are they only providing the outcomes for the Lakers?
Two reasons. Its so unfathomable that they're playing so bad considering everyone pegged them as a top 3 team before the season started, and the other reason is simply that they're one of the most popular franchises in the league.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Unfathomable" : ) I'm not sure why anyone thought the Lakers would be a top 3 team after losing Andrew Bynum, and the acquisition of a non-competitive, playful Dwight Howard who childishly refuses to improve his free-throw shooting, and a sluggish 40-year-old point guard (Oh wait, Nash won't be 40 until Feb 2014 so I'm about a year off). Be realistic Lakers fans!

Nevertheless, the Lakers are a popular franchise, so I see where you are coming from in that regard. :)

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I'm not even a Laker fan, I'm a Pacers fan bro. I'm probably Dwights biggest critic on the site, but I never thought he'd be so lazy and out of focus in LA. I certainly thought he'd out produce Bynum defensively and at the very least come close to matching him on offense.

Its been a trainwreck for them.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
I think they will make the playoffs. They're better than Minnesota, Portland, and Utah.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

If you look at those it seems though Hollinger believes that there is only one spot left for three teams in the West. East looks a lot less credible, but similarly it seems that he believes there is one playoff spot left and a bunch of teams in the mix for it.

I don't know what to think about his methods, but basically the Lakers will need two things to happen for them to make the playoffs. They will have to start playing championship caliber ball and at least a couple of the teams ahead of them will have to play putrid ball.

To this point there's not much reason to believe that the Lakers are capable of playing incredibly well, so their biggest hope would be for those other teams to suck in a deep and profound way.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

If you look at those it seems though Hollinger believes that there is only one spot left for three teams in the West. East looks a lot less credible, but similarly it seems that he believes there is one playoff spot left and a bunch of teams in the mix for it.

I don't know what to think about his methods, but basically the Lakers will need two things to happen for them to make the playoffs. They will have to start playing championship caliber ball and at least a couple of the teams ahead of them will have to play putrid ball.

To this point there's not much reason to believe that the Lakers are capable of playing incredibly well, so their biggest hope would be for those other teams to suck in a deep and profound way.
They're really not that far back from the 8th seed. They will make it.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Five games isn't a lot? Yeah, whatever. Portland is four games over .500 and the lakers are six games under. So long as Portland continues to play decent ball the Lakers have almost no chance. In order for them to catch them they have to have those other teams all play poorly.

Exactly how are they better than those other teams? On paper or some shit?

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
Five games isn't a lot? Yeah, whatever. Portland is four games over .500 and the lakers are six games under. So long as Portland continues to play decent ball the Lakers have almost no chance. In order for them to catch them they have to have those other teams all play poorly.

Exactly how are they better than those other teams? On paper or some shit?
Wanna bet your Django avatar they don't make it?

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Regardless of whether we're good or not we're still going to be one of the most polarizing teams in the league. Whether that's fair or not is a different conversation entirely but espn is retarded and people should be used to this by now. I just hope that by the end of the season they're positive segments haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
Regardless of whether we're good or not we're still going to be one of the most polarizing teams in the league. Whether that's fair or not is a different conversation entirely but espn is retarded and people should be used to this by now. I just hope that by the end of the season they're positive segments haha.

THIS

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL OP is actually baffled why ESPN covers the Lakers?

Be a man just say you don't like the Lakers, no need for passive aggression.
I like the Lakers, so why would I at all say what you're suggesting? :)

I just think it's silly to only provide simulations for the Lakers, and not any other teams below the eight spot that mathematically have a chance to make the playoffs. Just my two cents! : )

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
You need to go 44W38L to make the playoffs out West. Despite their troubles 29-17 isn't unrealistic for the Lakers. Look at the Rockets record away and in their conference. Only 6 depots are locked up in the West if there are no injuries.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Honesty I'd rather be the six or seventh seed rather than fourth or fifth in hopes of avoiding okc for as long as possible. If the clips maintain the best record then I'm going to look pretty stupid, but oh well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the Lakers are able to defeat enough teams to pull themselves out of this deep hole, then it just goes to show the huge lack of competitiveness in the NBA. It's a reason why so many NBA fans refuse to watch basketball until the playoffs. If the NBA allowed only 4 teams from each conference to make the playoffs, the regular season would be far more competitive and viewership/sales would increase.

I see why the Lakers aren't worried just yet. They are taking advantage of the fact that the NBA allows more than half the teams to enter the playoffs. It's sad that a team that finishes with an under 500 record can still play in the playoffs. lol : )

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Because if they stay on this road, they would be the most under-achieving team in NBA History

1 - 20 of 28 Posts