Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, heard about this site from Wheeler during a broadcast last week I think. I really like it though, seems like some good information and true Blazer fans.
Anyway, it seems there are a lot of folk, and not just on this site, that feel Coach Cheeks should be fired and I don't really understand why. In my opinion, he has done a great job since he's been here in Portland with all he's had to deal with from keeping all these different personalities together (minus the Ruben vs Zach thing), not being able to interview for the Philadelphia job, yet being professional about it. Roster changes, the positive light he brought to the franchise with the national anthem thing (which if nothing else shows he's a character guy).
Now the argument that he's not a great x's and o's guy may be valid, but consider this; Phil Jackson is considered to be a great coach, but IMO he is a great motivator and has found ways to reach his players (ala Cheeks). Jackson has surrounded himself with great assistants that have developed a system that's been successful, and he's done that over time. The triangle offense that he runs is Tex Winters' offense and Phil asked Tex not to retire a couple of years ago because of this (IMO).
I just believe a good coaching staff has to have a balance, and I think Coach Cheeks has something that's special, and you don't just let that go.
Besides, who else are you going to bring in that will do better?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Welcome mackthedj!!

Some of the opinions might be over-reactions... no one wants to miss the playoffs for the first time in decades. Some of it might be the fact (like you mentioned) that he might not be the best X's and O's coach.

For me it boils down to 'could anyone else do better?' I am not really sure they could with this group. Look at the turnaround the Blazers are making... and led by none other than... Maurice Cheeks.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Lack of plays, suspect substituting, and the fact that he always look like he's going to breakdown are the reason I think we could do a lot better than Mo. He's not the worst, but we're so much better than 23-25.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I believe the most important thing about management isn't what you know, but who you hire to cover what you don't know.

Reagan ran the presidency suffering from Alzheimers in his second term, yet it was he was effective in forwarding his agenda because he had subordinates who knew what they were doing.

the fact that we are discussing Mo's horrible substitution patterns and poor preparation is a pretty good indicator that he's failed in this critical job. Phil Jackson, despite his massive ego, was smart enough to realize he needed the brains of Tex Winter to go anywhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts