Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kenyon Martin should get stronger. He's a PF, and even though he can defend PFs already... he is a little small physically for a PF, and should bulk up.

He realizes that, and he's doing it (from what I read in the Star-Ledger). My concern is that if we signed Rodney Rogers, Martin would have to backup Jefferson at SF (I just can't see Rodney Rogers guard SFs, no matter what position people say he plays. He usually played against centers last year... yes, he was a SF earlier in his career, but I can't see him guarding anyone quick nowadays). If Martin has to continue to guard SFs next year, he might be more hesistant to bulk up, because he'd still need to chase them around.

I think that the guy we sign should be someone who can guard 3s (while still being able to shoot the three). Bryon Russell seems like a good fit. Another option, even though he's never been that good of a defender, is Walt Williams.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
So what about Michael Redd? He was an offensive machine when he filled in for Ray Allen and is a free agent this summer.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He'd probably be the best choice, but I figured with the trade of Glen Robinson, the Bucks would match any offer (he's an RFA) they could for Redd, who's now their #1 scorer off the bench with Thomas in the starting lineup.

So Redd would be an unrealistic option, in my opinion.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
ESPN said that Rodney is very close to making a deal with Nets! Its gonna be a 2 year, 2-2.7M contract, and they also said that the T'wolves are interested in him, but that Rodney would rather play with Kidd again. I am telling ya Kidd is a magnett.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Money will probably win out... if it's true that the T'Wolves are offering their full midlevel exception, I'd be shocked if he picked the Nets over them, no matter how much he wants to play with Kidd.

If I had to make a guess... I say we wind up with Bryon Russell, who's still a pretty tough defender, as well as a better career 3-point % shooter than Rogers, and a significantly better playoff career 3-point % shooter. He'd also give us a guy with huge playoff experience, playing in 96 playoff games, and would allow us to have an actual SF to backup Jefferson.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the NY Post, Minnesota actually only offered between 3.1-3.3 million dollars a year... and Rogers officially picked the Nets offer because he believe they have a good chance to beat the Lakers, and become NBA champions.

·
Registered
450 Posts
here is the lineup now that the nets have rogers, they could switch it around like this:

pg-kidd/chris childs/brandon armstrong
sg-kerry kittles/lucious harris
sf-rodney rogers/richard jefferson/tamar slay
pf-kenyon martin/aaron williams/brian scalabrine
c-dikembe mutombo/jason collins/jamie fieck

thats a pretty descent lineup, jefferson or harris would be the sixth man, and with that, i think they have a great shot of winning the nba finals this year, i think rogers was the right move.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
IMO - This is a good pick-up for the Nets.
He's another perimeter threat....
He's big, he can board and play inside as well.
The Nets probably lost KVH's outside game...
But I think Rogers, will give them more help upfront.
and of course the 3's

Nets have done a good job thus far...

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I think they should try for a Bonzi Wells for Kerry Kittles sign and trade deal.

-Petey

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Petey have you lost your mind?

Why in the world would Portland do that? Wells is an up and coming player and Kittles will be done in a few years.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
They are trying to trade Bonzi Wells according to ESPN, Detriot and Minnesota has some interest. Unless they sign Bonzi Wells, shouldn't they try to get something for him now?

I don't think Kerry Kittles is done, based on talent he is a very good player, but agreed, he is hurt alot, only way his career ends early is if he goes down with another knee problem, but if the Blazers are willing to trade Damon for Brandon (who is shakey)... why not try?

-Petey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts