Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is so many reasons this kid isnt getting it. But a couple of things stand out. Its an interesting look on a kid

1. How many kids make it in their hometown? Not many. It was one of the reasons Krause didnt take home town kids. Obviously that isnt an issue with pax. But I agree with krause already. When your at home, you have all your friends around. You have these obligations and extra pressures.

2. This is Currys first job. That is an underrated. How many of us got fired from their first job? I did. By all accounts, his parents are hard working people who sort of cuddled him. That isnt good. he didnt know responsibility coming into the league, and its going to take him a couple of years to learn

3. This is Currys 3rd year in the league. He has had 3 coaches, a dozen assts, and 2 GMs. He has gone from the focal point (and one that we wouldnt trade straight up for Dirk this summer, Realgm, not here) to a bum in 3 short months. the point is, BC abandoned the triangle from Feb on last year. That can not be denied. He simplified the offense and ran at Curry and Craw. It worked. Then inexplicably, BC and Pax decided to go back to what didnt work. BC lost his job for it. pax should have as well. He has not had a steady influence since he has been here. Great players should be able to overcome it. But we all saw what he could do, and it was special. So i wouldnt throw in the towel on him yet

4. Think how much better Curry would be if he had a sweet shooting 4 next to him? The Bulls never had good spacing since Curry is here. And its pretty obvious it effects him. When he makes a post move, he often just bumps into Davis, or Chandler, or Fizer, or Blount, or JYD, you guys get the idea (Oakley, etc). Its like he beats his guy, and then has to an extra 2 or 3 guys in his face. The personnel isnt there. It would be very interesting to see how Curry does on a team with good shooters. I bet he does great.

This isnt to say Curry is without blame. He has plenty of it. But I am trying to figure out why he is failing. alot of it is psychological. Alot of is physical. But alot of it is the personnel and front office that he has had, or not had. And alot of it is his upbringing. And before I get slammed for saying this, everyone thinks his parents are great people. But its quite clear he was a bit spoiled, not just by them but HS coaches etc. just a thought.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
I think it all comes down to understanding. I think Eddy's problem is 100% mental.

First, he is out of shape. He has had various injury roadblocks that have hurt. More than anything, though, I think he just doesn't quite understand yet the level of work it will take to get into the proper condition. At least, I prefer to think that rather than to think that it is mere laziness.

On a related point, I don't think mentally he understands what a big, strong, dominant force he really is. There are so many times you see him settle for little jump hooks and touch shots. The first problem is probably that Eddy has nice soft hands that allow him to get by on these shots. However, how many times have you seen situations where he would be much better served by just dunking the damn ball and throwing people out of his way? I don't think he realizes how easily he could do this in certain situations if he wanted to. Some of this is tied up in the conditioning as well. I think as he gets into better shape, he will feel more physically capable of having his way with people under the basket.

On defense, I think it's essentially the same problem. I don't think he realizes with his big body the extent to which he could block/alter shots. I also don't think he realizes how much space he could take up if he got into proper position. There is no reason that Eddy shouldn't have double-digit rebounds in a game. Again, I just don't think he understands his own power and how to utilize that power in a way that will make him an efficient defender/rebounder.

So, in my opinion, all of this comes down to "getting it" on a couple of levels. First, when he understands the amount of work he needs to put in for conditioning, he will be more effective on the court. Also, by being able to play larger minutes, he will be able to get in a better rhythm in games, which is very important. I also think his conditioning will keep him out of foul trouble when he figures it out. He will be able to move his feet to put himself in the proper place rather than to reach and pick up fouls. Finally, once he understands his physical power to the relative to the other players on the court, I think he will be more assertive and effective on the offensive end. We will see. I like to think he will understand eventually, but I guess there are no guarantees. I do feel like if he figures it out, it could be a quick explosion into an All-Star type player rather than slow progression.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
4. Think how much better Curry would be if he had a sweet shooting 4 next to him? The Bulls never had good spacing since Curry is here. And its pretty obvious it effects him. When he makes a post move, he often just bumps into Davis, or Chandler, or Fizer, or Blount, or JYD, you guys get the idea (Oakley, etc). Its like he beats his guy, and then has to an extra 2 or 3 guys in his face. The personnel isnt there. It would be very interesting to see how Curry does on a team with good shooters. I bet he does great.
Go ask Zach Randolph or look at his stats since Sheed started missing game after game.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: why is Curry failing?

Originally posted by <b>curry_52</b>!

Go ask Zach Randolph or look at his stats since Sheed started missing game after game.
i havent seen Randolph since Wallace sat down. i think your supporting my case here. Wallace spreading the floor out would seem like it would help Zach alot. Curry has never had that. And the Chandler and Curry complementing each other hooey that Krause fed us was just that, hooey. These 2 do nothing but bump into one another

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Yep, Zach stats went down BAAADD!!! He gets double teamed constantly and having Dale Davis down the hoop wont help him. Qyntel Woods and Dale Davis just make it easier for 28 teams willing to contain Z-Bo and the Blazers.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>curry_52</b>!
Yep, Zach stats went down BAAADD!!! He gets double teamed constantly and having Dale Davis down the hoop wont help him. Qyntel Woods and Dale Davis just make it easier for 28 teams willing to contain Z-Bo and the Blazers.
i was thinking how good Curry would be with a sweet shooter like Okur next to him. It would really open it up for him. but when Chandler is in there, Curry will make a nice move and literally bump into either chandler or chandlers man. add to the fact that currys man is still guarding him, and that is like 3 guys in his face. they never seem to play well together.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I disagree with all the reasons presented in the original post. I think the answer is much simpler.

Eddy Curry was not a competitive athlete growing up. He didn't really start playing competitively until the middle of high school. Every great competitor I've ever seen started being competitive at an early age.

Competitors have such a strong will to win that it fuels their desire to work hard. Obviously Eddy has never grasped that concept as a result.

In retrospect, I'm realizing how beneficial it would've been for Eddy to play college ball at a school like Duke, Kansas or Kentucky with strong winning traditions where he would've been inculcated with some of these values.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I don't know what people mean when they say that "he doesn't know that he's out of shape." Well if he realizes that his lungs are burning after running down the court a few times, I think he should realize that whatever he's doing isn't enough. I think that can be attributed to laziness and I will stand by my belief until he proves me wrong.

I'm not really buying the "hometown kid" excuse. He's had some pressure(not nearly the amount another hometown kid, LeBron, has had) but that shouldn't keep him from playing hard. Bulls fans are just looking for one hustle play that they can look at and say "the kid cares."

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I dont think Curry is failing now .I think he was always gonna be a 5-6 yr development type player and the end of last year gave us a sample of what he can do but was not an immediate sign of things to come .Give him time because by the time hes 24 he will be rounding into a very good nba player

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Come everyone this is BS. 21 year old averaging 13 pts, 6 rebounds, and leads the team in FG% at almost 50%. Everyone expects him to be a star at his age. Two words. Jermane O'neal. Allstar. Traded from portland.

As for eddy temperment. There have been many gentle big men who have been great centers in the league. The cheif, Robert Parish comes to mind to just mention one. I hear a lot about how eddy needs to get nasty, whatever, he is a gentle man, last time i check that was consider a good thing.

He needs to get in shape, get his confidence back, and get some minutes and he will be fine. I mean he is beat, skiles is working him like a dog and his legs are just gone. I sure skiles thinks this is neccessary and we shall see. Lets just wait until he is starting again and see how he does.

david

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TRUTHHURTS</b>!
I dont think Curry is failing now .I think he was always gonna be a 5-6 yr development type player and the end of last year gave us a sample of what he can do but was not an immediate sign of things to come .Give him time because by the time hes 24 he will be rounding into a very good nba player
Good post. Thats the reality of it. Curry is a developing player and the fans expect more out of him at this point in his career than he is ready to deliver. period.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!

Good post. Thats the reality of it. Curry is a developing player and the fans expect more out of him at this point in his career than he is ready to deliver. period.
I disagree. I think the fans want to see effort from Curry. That's why the guy gets booed is because he isn't giving it even close to his all. These are chicagoans we're talking about. We/they value hard work and effort almost as much as results. Why does Kirk Hinrich get the most recognition during the starting lineup intros? Because he leaves it out on the floor every game. The fans see that and respect that. Curry can't even get his damn hands up for a rebound. I've lost count how many times a rebound has gone near him only to get snagged either by the other team or another bull player simply because he doesn't get his arms up for a rebound.

The fans expectations aren't results. They're effort. Because with effort comes results. Eddy doesn't give much effort out there and the results aren't very good. When he goes out there and is active, usually the results are positive.

A 21 year old center can always give a maximum effort. It has nothing to do with skill sets or expectations. A 35 year old can just as easily give maximum effort or even an 18 year old out of high school. Effort is a choice that is completely in the control of the individual. That's what I want from Eddy. Effort. Every minute of every game he's out there. If he gets burned on defense as long as he's trying his hardest, I'll live with it. If he fouls out in 15 minutes because he's being too aggressive, I can deal with it. If he goes 1-10 but he's aggressive around the rim - fine. Just play with effort and earn that paycheck. Give me, the fan, something to hang my hat on. I want to cheer for you. I want you to do well. Just try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts