Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Yes, please.
16,621 Posts
IRC Retro said:
Um, the Nets have held their last 3 opponents (Detroit, Phoenix, Memphis) to 74, 72, and 74 points. These 3 teams, on average, put up 99 ppg. That's a 26 point difference. They've held their opponents to under 92.3 this season, good for 6th in the NBA, behind only Memphis, San Antonio, Detroit, Indiana, and Houston.

Right. They don't know what defense is.

By the way, the Mavs are right behind the Nets at 7th.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
IRC Retro said:
omg, i think im about to defend dirk...... i cant remember where (probs realgm) but there was an article on how criticism of dirk being soft is based upon stereotypes from 3 years, and id tend to agree. they have the right combination of youth, speed, size and saavy at each position to be a good defensive team. which is indicative of their 6.2ppg differential despite the fact they aren't even scoring 100pg anymore.

· Banned
4,647 Posts
The Nets are a spectactular defensive team.

You sound stupid.

· Limehouse Blues
26,986 Posts
I don't watch the Nets much,but Jason Kidd is probably the best defender in the league at point guard,he certainly is among starters.Richard Jefferson is an excellent defender who always gives maximum effort.Collins is a guy who plays pretty good defense and that's basically all he does.Carter isn't great,but he's not terrible either.

Right now the Nets look like they can contend.At other times this year they have looked like they could get swept in the first round by a halfway decent team.Most of the year they have been horrible on the road,but they are extremely hard to beat in New Jersey.I frankly don't know what to expect of them in the second round of the playoffs against the Heat most likely,but I have to assume they should win their first round series because they will have homecourt and they are very good at home.

Dallas is a terrific team though and I feel no need to defend them.As for the Suns I have to wait and see if they can get back to playing their style of ball.They can beat people and they can succeed in the playoffs if they play their style of ball.The question about them has always been whether or not they can get past Dallas or San Antonio.

· Registered
198 Posts
The Nets are going to be a threat in the offs, no doubt. Still, they're undoubtedly going to fall short of the crown unless Nenad becomes a legitimate low post threat night in and night out. The Nets have huge talent (much, much, much more so than any team aside from Miami, New York, Phoenix, and Dallas), but all of it is concentrated at the wing positions. That's why they're prone to somewhat erratic bursts of hot stretches. This is evident in their relatively low fgp.

If we look at the top four teams in the East (Det, Mia, Njn, and Cle) and rank them by fgp, the Heat have both the highest percentage in the conferance and in the league. Now, Miami clearly has two distinct advantages in O'Neal and Wade, both primarily paint scorers. Surprisingly, their next highest rival ranks much, much further down. Detroit shoots 45%- still, we shouldn't be too amazed by this. Remember, we're only talking about a difference in the entire league of about 5%. Furthermore, Detroit's primary scorers are perimeter shooters as well. In fact, the Pistons are second (to Pho) in 3pp and fifth in 3pm, which makes plenty of sense when you consider Sheed, Prince, and Billups.

Cleveland runs pretty middle of the pack in terms of points scored and fgp, but this is slightly skewed by the trigger happy 3 pt shooters in Damon Jones and Donyell Marshall. The Cavs rank almost at the bottom in 3pp, but in the top 10 in 3pa.

So what does this have to do with Njn? It is perhaps the only contender that shoots under 45%. From the West, Phoenix and San Antonio are right on the heels of Miami with the second and third spots, respectively. The Clips, Denver, and Mavs round out the top 10. However, as one would expect from a well-coached team with Kidd and Jefferson, the Nets have an extremely low turnover rate. Remember, scoring wise, this a wing dominated team- the only teams that can claim that and a lower turnover rate are the Pistons and the Suns.

Finally, to link something to the thread (which there hasn't nearly been enough of in this post), the Nets are starting a very defensively solid starting five. None of their starters are, according to 82games.com, defensive liabilities. Of every contender mentioned thus far, they, along with the Spurs, score the fewest number of points. Further, their starting five scores around 4% more efficiently than their average opponent.

The Nets definitely have all the pieces to contend. Right now, however, I'm not willing to say it's any sort of offensive streak keeping them in the upper echelons. They shoot much too poorly, rely way too much on their wings, and score way too few points for this to be attributed to their offensive game. Instead, the Nets, at least statistically, are in contention because they play clean, efficient basketball oriented on the defensive end of the floor.

(PS. the Pistons are going to take the title)

· Registered
2,876 Posts
what happened to this thread?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.