Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me why he is being considered and Jason Kidd and Mike Bibby aren't? Can anyone tell me how he's better?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Kidd was injured for a good chunk of the year and as for Bibby...He's just another under the radar guy. the guy,s never made the ASG for Cryin out loud

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kidd's "only" missed 16 games this year...that shouldn't discount what he's done. If New Jersey really does make the playoffs this year it'd be a miracle; they're just horrible. Kidd turned Carter around...Kidd turned the whole team around. They were 12-24 and a lock for a top 5 pick at one point.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Rizzah said:
Kidd's "only" missed 16 games this year...that shouldn't discount what he's done. If New Jersey really does make the playoffs this year it'd be a miracle; they're just horrible. Kidd turned Carter around...Kidd turned the whole team around. They were 12-24 and a lock for a top 5 pick at one point.
Sorry, you're right, it was just 16 gms...It's not just stats...it's the whole vibe...If the team is winning and all that. People are like...WOO..where the hell the suns come from? it can't be Q..Not marion...Amare is good but not that good...so when they see Nash with 17 asts a massive bandwagon is created..One I am one and don't intend to leave.

...the fact that there are rumors that kidd DESPERATELY wants out of NJ casts a grey cloud over his accomplishments...

Same reason The Bull's coach might win COTY...just because of the whole "Baby Bulls" Vibe.

P.S I wrote "Bull's coach because I'm not sure how to spell his name.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason Scott Skiles is being considered Coach of the Year is because of the job he's done with a bunch of kids and Antonio Davis (who is basically dead weight). It's hard getting kids to play hard, especially on defense, but Skiles pulled it off, and the Bulls are a dangerous team.

And I'd like to think that the fact that Kidd doesn't want to be in Jersey and has led them into playoff contention would make his achievements shine more...how many guys play that hard when they want to be traded?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Rizzah said:
The reason Scott Skiles is being considered Coach of the Year is because of the job he's done with a bunch of kids and Antonio Davis (who is basically dead weight). It's hard getting kids to play hard, especially on defense, but Skiles pulled it off, and the Bulls are a dangerous team.

And I'd like to think that the fact that Kidd doesn't want to be in Jersey and has led them into playoff contention would make his achievements shine more...how many guys play that hard when they want to be traded?
Yes, but "the vibe" is more important than anything. Personally, I think COTY should go to Pop in SA..but he won't get it...because of "the vibe"

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VCFSO2000 said:
Yes, but "the vibe" is more important than anything. Personally, I think COTY should go to Pop in SA..but he won't get it...because of "the vibe"
Why should it go to Popovich? For taking arguably the best team in basketball and winning 56-60 games?

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Rizzah said:
Can anyone tell me why he is being considered and Jason Kidd and Mike Bibby aren't? Can anyone tell me how he's better?
It's easy, Nash is having a better yr in terms of numbers and impact than those two. It's not who's the best player or who's best player in that position. Even so, Nash a top 2 PG. But everyone seems to have a misconceived notion that the MVP has to be one of the best players in the league or a top notch guy. It doesn't. That makes no sense. It goes to has the best yr. Now, I'm not saying Nash should get it. I would say it's between he and Shaq because of the yr and impact he's had and how much more he means to them. Shaq should actually get it. Because face it. Take Shaq and Nash off those teams. Suns would be a better team record wise. Of course we wouldn't be this good around or hoovering .500 I'd say.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
VCFSO2000 said:
Amare is good but not that good....

He's good but not that good? Come again? How many high schoolers have you seen make an impact so soon as he has? With the monster numbers he puts up? Amare's a beast, and will continue to get better. It's not all of a sudden he got so good when Nash came along. Nash add's to it. But he's gonna be one of the top players in the NBA eventually. Regardless if Nash was there or not.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Rizzah said:
Why should it go to Popovich? For taking arguably the best team in basketball and winning 56-60 games?
Because,for me, the mental focus they display is surreal...No other team in the league has it

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dissonance19 said:
It's easy, Nash is having a better yr in terms of numbers and impact than those two. It's not who's the best player or who's best player in that position. Even so, Nash a top 2 PG. But everyone seems to have a misconceived notion that the MVP has to be one of the best players in the league or a top notch guy. It doesn't. That makes no sense. It goes to has the best yr. Now, I'm not saying Nash should get it. I would say it's between he and Shaq because of the yr and impact he's had and how much more he means to them. Shaq should actually get it. Because face it. Take Shaq and Nash off those teams. Suns would be a better team record wise. Of course we wouldn't be this good around or hoovering .500 I'd say.
Yeah, but try to tell me Bibby and Kidd wouldn't do well in Nash's situation.
Try and tell me the Kings would be the 5 seed without Bibby
Try and tell me the Nets would practically be the 8 seed without Kidd

And you're forgetting about Dirk, who deserves serious MVP consideration on a mediocre Mavs team that threw like, nine new players, a few rookies, and a new coach at him.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
dissonance19 said:
He's good but not that good? Come again? How many high schoolers have you seen make an impact so soon as he has? With the monster numbers he puts up? Amare's a beast, and will continue to get better. It's not all of a sudden he got so good when Nash came along. Nash add's to it. But he's gonna be one of the top players in the NBA eventually. Regardless if Nash was there or not.
What I meant by..."he's good but not that good" was not good enough to carry a team to best team in the league

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VCFSO2000 said:
Because,for me, the mental focus they display is surreal...No ther team in the league has it
But he's been doing it for the past five years...he hasn't done anything this year that he didn't do the past few years, and he hasn't made any significant strides this year.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Rizzah said:
But he's been doing it for the past five years...he hasn't done anything this year that he didn't do the past few years, and he hasn't made any significant strides this year.
What he's done in the past years is thoroughly develop young players and create a winning atmosphere. That,s perfect. you can't say he can't win because he's doing the same thing each year...because the things he's doing, he's maybe the only guy in the league doing it.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Rizzah said:
Yeah, but try to tell me Bibby and Kidd wouldn't do well in Nash's situation.
Try and tell me the Kings would be the 5 seed without Bibby
Try and tell me the Nets would practically be the 8 seed without Kidd

And you're forgetting about Dirk, who deserves serious MVP consideration on a mediocre Mavs team that threw like, nine new players, a few rookies, and a new coach at him.

Yes but you know as well as I do, MVP candidates are always players from top teams with great records. When's the last time a 8th seeded or 5th seeded team had an MVP actually win it? Yes, the Kings/Nets wouldn't be nearly as good as they are without them but as you see the Suns are significantly better and Nash has provided an greater impact. Doesn't take away from who they are as players though. And we don't know how good we'd be if those players were on our team and not Nash so.

And I agree. Dirk is an MVP candidate but that depth has a lot to do with why they're where they are. Mavs may just go all the way, with that depth too. May give the Spurs a run for their money in the playoffs. Man I can't wait for the playoffs. It's gonna be fun to watch.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
VCFSO2000 said:
What I meant by..."he's good but not that good" was not good enough to carry a team to best team in the league

Hm, I don't know if I would agree with you on that. I think he could. Shaq's also called him the future of the NBA and he's Shaq at 22 with how he played earlier in this career. I doubt Amare gets as big as he does to be as dominant but I think there's a chance Amare could carry a team later down the line when he gets older and maybe even a lil' bigger. Isn't he 22 now?. A lot of yrs ahead of him.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dissonance19 said:
Yes but you know as well as I do, MVP candidates are always players from top teams with great records. When's the last time a 8th seeded or 5th seeded team had an MVP actually win it? Yes, the Kings/Nets wouldn't be nearly as good as they are without them but as you see the Suns are significantly better and Nash has provided an greater impact. Doesn't take away from who they are as players though. And we don't know how good we'd be if those players were on our team and not Nash so.

And I agree. Dirk is an MVP candidate but that depth has a lot to do with why they're where they are. Mavs may just go all the way, with that depth too. May give the Spurs a run for their money in the playoffs. Man I can't wait for the playoffs. It's gonna be fun to watch.
Dallas has a lot of players, but few of them are that great. Finley is a disappearing act, Terry is average, Stackhouse and KVH are one-dimensional, Howard and Daniels drift in and out, Harris isn't ready for prime time, Dampier cannot be trusted, and there isn't a single point guard on the roster. Without Dirk this is the 11th or 12th best team in the West at best.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Rizzah said:
Dallas has a lot of players, but few of them are that great. Finley is a disappearing act, Terry is average, Stackhouse and KVH are one-dimensional, Howard and Daniels drift in and out, Harris isn't ready for prime time, Dampier cannot be trusted, and there isn't a single point guard on the roster. Without Dirk this is the 11th or 12th best team in the West at best.
If you give me Stack,Fin,Dampier...I'll accept any day

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
dissonance19 said:
Hm, I don't know if I would agree with you on that. I think he could. Shaq's also called him the future of the NBA and he's Shaq at 22 with how he played earlier in this career. I doubt Amare gets as big as he does to be as dominant but I think there's a chance Amare could carry a team later down the line when he gets older and maybe even a lil' bigger. Isn't he 22 now?. A lot of yrs ahead of him.
Just wanna check...is Amare a good passing PF?? If not he can't have the kind of impact that KG and TD have on their teams

1 - 20 of 27 Posts