Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hate this guy with a passion, but hes very underated. nobody ever seems to put him in the top 10 list. i think because he such an butthole people over look his numbers. sure he didnt win any championships, but his numbers are just out of the world.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>FlyingTiger</b>!
i hate this guy with a passion, but hes very underated. nobody ever seems to put him in the top 10 list. i think because he such an butthole people over look his numbers. sure he didnt win any championships, but his numbers are just out of the world.
I don't think he is underrated. Unliked? Even Hated? Yes.

But his career speaks for himself. Really, is there anybody who doesn't consider him at least All-Time Top 15 (till now)?

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
He could be Top 10.

MJ
Wilt
Russell
Magic
Bird
Big O
Kareem
Hakeem
Erving
K Malone

Then West, M Malone, Stockton, etc.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jokeaward</b>!
He could be Top 10.

MJ
Wilt
Russell
Magic
Bird
Big O
Kareem
Hakeem
Erving
K Malone

Then West, M Malone, Stockton, etc.
Then it´s top-11.

No way Malone was better than The Logo. NO WAY!

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!
I think some people also think that John Stockton and the Utah system inflated his numbers.
I'm of the ilk that believes it was actually the Mailman that inflated Stockton's numbers.

That's not to take anything away from Stockton though. He was obviously an amazing player.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Malone is a regular season players and often chokes in
playoff and clutch time. He's definitely not top 10 worthy.

Most of the top 10 players are definitions of clutch except
Wilt and Shaq. Wilt was also more of a regular season
player but he was just too dominant. Shaq always saves
his game for the playoff.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>snowmt</b>!
Malone is a regular season players and often chokes in
playoff and clutch time. He's definitely not top 10 worthy.

Most of the top 10 players are definitions of clutch except
Wilt and Shaq. Wilt was also more of a regular season
player but he was just too dominant. Shaq always saves
his game for the playoff.
so, for the reasons you stated, you hate KG's guts, huh?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PauloCatarino</b>!

so, for the reasons you stated, you hate KG's guts, huh?

I have gained a lot more respect for KG this year.

By the way, I am not saying Malone is garbage. He's
obviously a top 15 player of all-time. But top 10 is
pretty high standard and they are expected to play
better in big games.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>snowmt</b>!

I have gained a lot more respect for KG this year.

By the way, I am not saying Malone is garbage. He's
obviously a top 15 player of all-time.
But top 10 is
pretty high standard and they are expected to play
better in big games.
Point taken... :greatjob:

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HallOfFamer</b>!

But at the pace Duncans at, I think he takes over the best PF spot of all time in a couple years.
If Duncan never wins another title or MVP award and only keeps up his current statistical pace for another 5 years, I would definitely put Malone ahead of Duncan. But if he wins another title and MVP this season or at some point in his career, I'd say his case for greatest PF of all time over Malone would be stronger than any case you could make for Malone, assuming Duncan produces statistically for at least another 5 years.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Considering that Duncan may show some of the same longevity that Malone did on top of winning and leading his team to two titles and nabbing two MVPs (so far) makes me think that Duncan will definitely be remembered as the greatest power forward of all time. Hell, Malone didnt even win his MVP awards until his mid-30s, I think Duncan will be a legit MVP candidate until hes 35, and the Spurs look like they'll be a contender until he retires, with Popovich, Parker, Manu, etc. So its not that far off to think Duncan could have anywhere from 3-5 MVP awards and 3-5 titles by the end of his career.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!

Hell, Malone didnt even win his MVP awards until his mid-30s, I think Duncan will be a legit MVP candidate until hes 35, and the Spurs look like they'll be a contender until he retires, with Popovich, Parker, Manu, etc. So its not that far off to think Duncan could have anywhere from 3-5 MVP awards and 3-5 titles by the end of his career.
I don't think determining player value by MVPs or titles is valid. MVPs are very context-sensitive. Malone was up against much tougher competition for MVP awards, like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Those are five of the all-time top-ten players.

Duncan would not have won MVP awards over Jordan, for example (mustache Jordan of the Wizards aside).

Titles, of course, are team-dependant and competition matters there, too. Duncan's Spurs would not have beaten the Showtime Lakers or the Jordan/Pippen Bulls.

Tim Duncan (or Kevin Garnett) might eclipse Karl Malone in the end. But it's certainly no guarantee. Malone's utter dominance is being totally forgotten due to his lackluster last couple of years. For the better part of two decades, he was scoring between 25-30 points per game, rebounding extremely well and playing very good defense. Malone was a much more destructive offensive force in the post than Duncan.

In Malone's prime, which was very long, he simply couldn't be stopped. Duncan cannot be characterized that way. He's very good, but he can be slowed and even marginalized. He's had plenty of games like that.

Malone hasn't, until his recent decline. When people talk about him "collapsing" in the playoffs, all they mean is his team lost or Rodman tripped him twice. His numbers were still outstanding.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts