Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hook shot is without a doubt one of hardest shots to block and, when deployed by a player who has become proficient shooting the shot with either hand, offers one of basketball's most lethal scoring moves. More often than not, the defender is helpless to stop it and can only hope that the shooter misses the shot. It is the ultimate scoring weapon to use when posting up a defender as it can be initiated with the shooter's back to the basket while hiding the ball from the defender which tends to confuse them. Most players today are only taught to play facing the basket which is not bad in itself but requires extreme quickness to be successful. Adding an effective hook shot to the arsenal of the offensive player can provide an additional scoring threat that can cause problems for any defense....yet no one bothers using this technically unstoppable shot. I´m not only talking about NBA...I nevers see any streetballers practicing it either...or any high school kids. Why can´t people realize the value of this shot? I am 1.81m tall, have 1 8inch vertical, yet, in my high school team, I play with 20ppg with FG% of 90% in 10mpg...thanks to kareem abdul-jabbar!!! I acknowledge that the sky hook is not a simple shot and requires a high degree of coordination. The brain needs to assimilate new aiming solutions and triangulation routines, while the body needs to become familiar with new muscle movements and patterns. This can only come through practice and repetition. However, isn´t it worth it???

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Dude, I'm not sure whether we're supposed to believe you. You shoot 90% from the floor while scoring 20 ppg in only 10 mpg? With that kind of production, why isn't your coach playing you more? Or is it that, wherever you live and play, games are only 10 minutes long?

In any case, I second your question about the extinction of the hook shot as a staple of a decent half-court offense. You would think an executive like Jerry West or a coach like Lenny Wilkens would insist that young post players with a lick of offensive talent develop this move. The only reason I can come up with, and it seems pretty watery to me, is that the average player on the court is probably a bit quicker than that of 25 years ago, so it may be incrementally tougher to make that pass into the low post. Still, I dunno...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Dude, I'm not sure whether we're supposed to believe you. You shoot 90% from the floor while scoring 20 ppg in only 10 mpg? With that kind of production, why isn't your coach playing you more? Or is it that, wherever you live and play, games are only 10 minutes long?"

1) I play in germany...games consist of 4 quarters, 10 minutes each...

2) I can´t play more than 10 minutes because I foul out...I loose my temper pretty quickly, I get something like 1.8 technicals per game(with 10mpg...). And remember that I´m 1.81m and I´m a center. That´s called undersized! So how do you expect me to defend +2m centers...

3) Why is my FG% 90%? I don´t shoot further than 2-3 meters...it took me 2 years to perfect my sky hook. Abdul-Jabbar used to make something like a 35-37 degree angle with the vertical and his shooting hand whereas I make something like a 38-40 degree vertical which makes it even more impossible to block...it´s really up to you whether you believe me or not, I am not obligated to prove anything to you...

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Well panthera, since you have the hook shot down to perfection, how about coming over in the US and teaching our big men how to hit it.

20 PPG in 10 MPG....:laugh:

FG% = 90.....:laugh:

2) I can´t play more than 10 minutes because I foul out...I loose my temper pretty quickly, I get something like 1.8 technicals per game(with 10mpg...). And remember that I´m 1.81m and I´m a center. That´s called undersized! So how do you expect me to defend +2m centers...
......:laugh:

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
Well panthera, since you have the hook shot down to perfection, how about coming over in the US and teaching our big men how to hit it.

20 PPG in 10 MPG....:laugh:

FG% = 90.....:laugh:

......:laugh:
And almost 2 technical fouls per QUARTER.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are missing the point of the thread...I just wanted to bring up why the sky hook is not used by basketball players in nowadays. I wasn´t trying to showcase my abilites. I just used it as an example to how efficient the sky hook could be, making an unathletic, physically weak center like me a decent player...imagine how unstoppable a decent NBA center, with long arms, could be. After all...wasn´t it the sky hook that earned Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 6 MVPs...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Didn't mean to offend you...I've been enjoying your posts so far. But I admit to having been incredulous at the numbers.

Anyway, you're right...Abdul-Jabbar was famous for the skyhook. It was essentially unstoppable in his hands since he was an exceptionally smooth and agile 7'3". It wouldn't be the same weapon in the hands of a player with average gifts. But you can still see the effects when a decent post player does get around to utilizing it (e.g., Mutombo or MacCulloch).

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've seen marbury do a few jumping hook shot floaters if that counts.

Nah, I think the influnce of Jordan and Penny, and Hill, and Drexler, and D. Wilkens has made every player think they have to do the same thing, and alot of big men just are using thier height and size as effieciently as they can. I look at someone like Marcus Camby, and although he is a decent player I think he could that much better if he would learn some post moves and maybe use the hook shot and some other moves.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Simple. It's not practiced because it's not flashy. Kids would rather work on the showboat pass or the big time dunk than the fundamentals. God, I sound old! Wait, I am! :laugh:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Simple. It's not practiced because it's not flashy. Kids would rather work on the showboat pass or the big time dunk than the fundamentals." : I totally agree with this! Kids don´t understand the importance of fundamentals...I see kids walking around with jumpsoles to get their +40 inch so they can thrown down their 360s, reverses, windmills, tomahawks, etc....I know that dunks are a wonderful way to boost your FG% up but...remember T-Mac struggling with the zone defense! I think the All-star votes are a really good example of the way youth views basketball...Vince getting +1 million votes in 4 years a row is no coincidence...basketball is evolving, face it!!! It´s becoming more and more like streetball. People dream about becoming the next high school kid getting drafted #1, and getting their dunks and flashy plays broadcasted on ESPN! How many basketball players take dancing lessons to improve their agility and footwork (i.e. George Mikan) or practicing 250 hook shots daily with each hand, the Mikan drill...I could keep this list going on and on...
The sky hook really is the most precious of the treasures forgotten...can you guys imagine how it would boost the performance of undersized players playing at the PF or C spot(i.e. Boozer, whose long arms make him a special candidate for perfecting the sky hook) or big men with lack of vertical, causing them to freaquently get blocked(i.e Z.Randolph)...or simply players, who are not undersized, but simply want to make themselves even more unstoppable(i.e. KG, how tall is that guys arms???)...I think this would carry NBA, and basketball, to a new level...The last time I saw a sky hook was 2000-01 season where KG got the ball with 2-3 secs left in the quarter and he was going to do a fade-away over Duncan but Robinson came to assist Duncan and KG had to throw the sky hook with an awkward balance (NBA.com recap actually called it a jump hook...)...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found a video clip of Mutombo shows off his skyhook over Shaquille O'Neal in game 1 of 2001 Finals...not a very good one, but one of the best in the recent years...

source: shows off his skyhook over Shaquille O'Neal

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I don't think it's practiced because it's percieved as a weak low percentage shot by hacks across the land. When I played ball in middle school I worked all summer to get a good hook shot with either hand. And my coach forbade me from shooting with anything other than two hands in the post. And this was after I had made it 6 straight times with my off hand on a guy to prove to my coach that I could make it on anyone.

I imagine this mindset that it is a weak shot is prevelant throughout the land. I don't think it's taken seriously on most levels of competition. If a kid shoots it in the early stages it might just look like a wild shot.

Lots of players use the jump hook though. I remember watching Kevin "Alligator Arms" Willis run it with the jump hook in his young days.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Zach Randolph doesn't need post help.

The desire for KG to incorporate hooks and more old-school stuff is a somewhat common sentiment.

Not every player wants to be an NBA player with streetball plays. Look at the draft last year. Fundamental Seniors/Juniors went high. Hinrich & Collison, Ridnour, Ford, and other college players, not all slam-tastic but raw HSers.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Yeah, well, when I was in an elementary school basketball league, I averaged 100 ppg in 2 minutes per game, and made 150 percent of my shots. It would have been nice to see what my stats could have been if I'd played a whole game, but the other team always gave up after 2 minutes. Plus I was an angry little kid and sometimes the officials called the game after I murdered my defender.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"I don't think it's practiced because it's percieved as a weak low percentage shot by hacks across the land." : I don´t know how you came to the conclusion that it is a weak shot because I have always thought of it as a solid shot if practiced thoroughly. As far as it being a low % shot...well the only shots I can think of that you could consistently get a higher percentage would be dunks, tip-ins, adn uncontested lay-ups, shots you take from 2-3 feet... the probklem with those shots is getting into position to execute them rather than actually hitting them. The nice thing about hook shots in general is that they are easy to get into position to and have a relatively good %, compared to other easy to get-in-position shots, such as 3 pointers. The only thing necessary is a good pass to the low-post...and then protect the ball using your body...and move parallel to the backboard to get in line with the rim...so getting into shot position is as simple as using a screen to fire a 3 pointer...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Zach Randolph doesn't need post help" : I know Randolph is one the best players in the low-post...but the truth is that he gets more shots blocked than any other big man in the league. Did you watch the Portland-Detroit match this year ? How many shots of Randolph´s shots did Wallace block? 5? I am just trying to emphasize the potential that the sky hook could add to the arsenal of offensive firepower for players like Randolph, Boozer, etc...

"The desire for KG to incorporate hooks and more old-school stuff is a somewhat common sentiment." : Actually I never noticed that...the occasion that he ended up hitting a sky hook was unintentional, as I pointed out before. Although with the arms and height he has, if he went under dedicated sky hook training he could become really unstoppable (if he already isn´t)...

"Yeah, well, when I was in an elementary school basketball league, I averaged 100 ppg in 2 minutes per game, and made 150 percent of my shots. It would have been nice to see what my stats could have been if I'd played a whole game, but the other team always gave up after 2 minutes. Plus I was an angry little kid and sometimes the officials called the game after I murdered my defender." : I don´t know whether that´s supposed to be funny...I am not offended because that sounds plain ridiculous! As I said, I don´t have an obligation to prove anything about my abilities. My intention in giving a personal example was to demonstrate the potential in the sky hook(if you already haven´t noticed it via Abdul-Jabbar...), not showcasing myself! So stop trying to turn this thread into an back an forth insult battle and add any criticisms(constructive) that you have about sky hook...

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
How many players past or present used the skyhook frequently? It is not that players stopped using it, it is that players never universally used. Heck I can't think of another player other than LA Lew that used it as a weapon. Anyways, most players prefer the jump hook.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Originally posted by <b>panthera_pardus</b>!
2) I can´t play more than 10 minutes because I foul out...I loose my temper pretty quickly, I get something like 1.8 technicals per game(with 10mpg...).
i dont care if you can shoot the shyhook from half court and still be making it 90% of the time.... if you cant go one whole quarter without recieving 2 (1.8) techs i wouldnt even let you practice with my team. If you cant show the mental strength to just shut up and play the game for 10 minutes i refuse to believe a highschool coach would even put up with you.

Up with the skyhook
Down with whiny, short centers

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Originally posted by <b>panthera_pardus</b>!
And remember that I´m 1.81m and I´m a center. That´s called undersized! So how do you expect me to defend +2m centers...
smart coaches find a way to get players who make 5/6 shots every quarter on the court..... if you are so short why dont they jsut move you to the 3 or 4 (where players are also less physical)???

but than again smart coaches dont put up with 1.8 techs every 10 minutes so nevermind

1 - 20 of 27 Posts