Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a great playoff record including a sweep of the lakers.
had d-rob avery johnson elliot duncan
won the title in 5 gms over a good knicks team

was it b/c of age or what? to me this team could have compeated against the 96 bulls team.

·
Registered
39 Posts
TheRoc5 said:
had a great playoff record including a sweep of the lakers.

was it b/c of age or what? to me this team could have compeated against the 96 bulls team.

It's not that they were considered weak, it's just that fans of other teams just like to hate cuz of the shortened season, coming up with the * for the championship. Dumb people fail to realize every other team played exactly as much games as they did, and the domination they displayed that post-season is proof that they were gonna win that season regardles of the amount of games played that season.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I don't think anybody thinks the team was weak. Some people (for reasons beyond me) discredit the championship that year because the season was shorter, but that'd probably be the case no matter who had won it.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
it could've been that it was a shorten season and a lot of people assumed that Utah would come out of the West.....I dont know how many people saw San Antonio coming.

beating LA that year wasn't that great of an accomplishment considering J.R. Reid was their starting PF. Glenn Rice only played a half the season with them and Kurt Rambus was their coach.

They beat a young and more talented Blazer team in 4 games but the first games in SA could've easily went to Portland...everyone remembers Elliots shot in gm. 2. After that Portland's confidence was shot and that was end of that series

They did beat a Kinick that was rolling...but that "twin tower" thing was just unfair.....LJ had no chance and Ewing was out

and HELL NO that team could not beaten the '02 Lakers(the weakest of their 3peat) yet alone the '96 Bulls

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
TheRoc5 said:
You mention Avery Johnson instead of Mario Elie? :laugh:

That was the #8 seed, didn't have Patrick Ewing, and had CHRIS DUDLEY starting. The Knicks were getting referee benefits just so they could win one game.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
The lockout is the reason why that team did not get any respect. But they were solid all around Duncan was in his second season, David Robinson was still in his prime, Sean Elliot was a good third option, Mario Ellie was a good role player, Avery Johnson was a solid point guard. Plus their bench was decent with Jerome Kersey, Steve Kerr, Antonio Daniels, Malik Rose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts