Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wizards are on a campaign to stockpile talent. Talent wins ball games and the Wizards are trying to acquire as much of it as possible.

Larry Hughes is a gamble for sure at the PG spot, but his athleticism is clearly evident. If he works out then they got a steal, if not then his contract is reasonable enough and short enough that he could be used as part of a trade. Talent + Salary + Length of Contract = Attractive Part of Trade. I am not saying they signed him to trade him, but one of the problems with the Wizards and trade talks is that they didn't have the pieces to make an offer.

I think this fits in with what the Wizards are trying to do, and I am sure that MJ spoke to Larry Brown about Larry Hughes before he signed him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,447 Posts
North East and BCH I agree with you both this stockpiling we're doing is very smart the Hughes signing is a low risk gamble Good idea about aquiring a second rd pick for C WHIT. we don't really need a low caliber player to replace him ,

Questions BCH and North East
1. should we resign Jones and Nesby ,I say resign Nesby and Jones if you can get them cheap maybe one year deals,

2. should we try and trade Laetner and Jahidi White, I think we should probably keep white I'm not sold that Haywood can stay healthy to play center for us all year and Etan would probably struggle against some of the bigger 5's, Laetner should get moved if we can do it he may not have much value left but if he does we have to move him he gave us nothing last year and his and Popeye's athleticism hurt us last year they have savy but our young dogs have the athletic ability to keep up with the young players around the league, If I had the choice keep Jones move Laetner.

I'm thinking we'll keep Simmons to replace Nesby because he comes cheaper but I like what Nesby did for us last year I'd prefer to keep Nesby not big fan of Simmons more excited about Grizzards possibilities ,Like Davis's shooting also last year,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Resign Jones if we move Laettner or White.

2. I would prefer to move Laettner but could see White getting moved along with Hubert Davis and/or Whitney or Lue. I would prefer Laettner with Davis and/or Whitney or Lue but that probably isn't going to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
1. I would not be in favor of signing either. We would have to lock up Popeye for several years and I have no confidence that he can stay healthy as he has no history other than last season of doing so. I would let Nesby go also. I think what he provided more than anything else was energy, that we hopefully get from a combination of Simmons and Jeffries. Also I think Kwame can spend some time at the three.

2. Assuming Popeye leaves I would leave Lat' here to provide some veteran leadership, especially early in the season. I have always been in favor of trading J. White. I think he is what he is and while a productive back-up he just frustrates me too much with those bad hands. I forget his contract details but I think he will use about 5 million next year at least. I think combination of Haywood, Lat' and Etan can feel the need in the East.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is something that the Larry Hughes signing also probably means is over...MJ's pursuit of Jamal Crawford.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Maybe MJ gave up trying to trade for him and is now resigned to trying to get Crawford as a Free Agent (won't that be around 3 years from now?)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3 years from now is something that is hard to see.

Take a look where we were 3 years ago and see if you could have possibly seen where we are now.

I think it is safe to say that the Jamal rumors will come to an end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Originally posted by BCH
3 years from now is something that is hard to see.

Take a look where we were 3 years ago and see if you could have possibly seen where we are now.

I think it is safe to say that the Jamal rumors will come to an end.
At least until mid-December, when Hughes can be traded and all the Hughes/Crawford trade rumors start up.

Just for the record - i'm not advocating any way that we trade for Crawfor. I'm just point out the absurdity of the constant rumors of MJ infatuation with him.
 

·
Kwisatz Haderach
Joined
·
31,773 Posts
Should Rip be worried?

That's the question, that should be running through everyone's head. While Larry Hughes put together satisfactory stats, the known fact is that he's at his best while playing the SG/SF positions. All I have to say is it's not looking too good for the really good, but injury prone Hamilton.

Hamilton is constantly improving, but they could unload him elsewhere, and save whatever money it would cost to reup with him when his contract expires. While Hughes could take over Rip's spot, especially since he's stronger on the defensive end.

I for one hope it doesn't happen that way, but a few signs are pointing that way.

-Tim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Philly,

No signs are pointing that way actually. Rip is a lock to be the starter and the SG position is his. Hughes may be insurance but he is not taking Rip's job away from him.

Hughes is going to be the PG or backup SG. Good Luck to him. Rip has nothing to worry about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!
Philly,

No signs are pointing that way actually. Rip is a lock to be the starter and the SG position is his. Hughes may be insurance but he is not taking Rip's job away from him.

Hughes is going to be the PG or backup SG. Good Luck to him. Rip has nothing to worry about.
Famous last words. Retreading an old Larry Hughes post. Most of us liked the signing at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NorthEast Wiz</b>!
1. I would not be in favor of signing either. We would have to lock up Popeye for several years and I have no confidence that he can stay healthy as he has no history other than last season of doing so. I would let Nesby go also. I think what he provided more than anything else was energy, that we hopefully get from a combination of Simmons and Jeffries. Also I think Kwame can spend some time at the three.

2. Assuming Popeye leaves I would leave Lat' here to provide some veteran leadership, especially early in the season. I have always been in favor of trading J. White. I think he is what he is and while a productive back-up he just frustrates me too much with those bad hands. I forget his contract details but I think he will use about 5 million next year at least. I think combination of Haywood, Lat' and Etan can feel the need in the East.
I sound like a profit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
I dont remember anyone of us not liking the Hughes signing.

I do remember a certain somebody (ill keep his name anonymous but he knwos who I'm talking about) badmouthing Hughes and saying how much of a waste of money he is.

Hughes so far isn't worth the MLE...

He's worth alot more.

:D
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top