Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Kemp really has changed his ways and his build, why not offer him a 10 day contract?
If Kemp could make it through the rest of the season playing well for team jib, he could prove alot of doubters wrong. The Bulls certainly need an inside precense and if Kemp is weighing in at 270, he could provide it. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2380701

· Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
charlietyra said:
Kemp would have a zero rating on the Pax/Skiles jib scale. The fact that he could actually help the team would be irrelevant to Paxson. Think Tim Thomas.
The only very very very small difference is that Thomas most likely expected to start on this squad with two already capable SFs whereas Kemp doesn't fill a need at all, especially for the millions he would likely command on a 10-day contract.

(pretend that was written in green)

· Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
charlietyra said:
Kemp would have a zero rating on the Pax/Skiles jib scale. The fact that he could actually help the team would be irrelevant to Paxson. Think Tim Thomas.
I am not sure the comparision to Thomas fits, Kemp appears to have something to prove, unlike Thomas who got sent home because he though he had nothing to prove. If Kemp is as motivated as he says he is, he would practice hard and work hard to play the game he loves.

· Banned
1,470 Posts
charlietyra said:
Shawn Kemp may be the one guy I know of that COULD challenge Eddie Robinson for the title of "I am 0 on the jib scale." Well, he and Kermit Washington.

Nothing says "I have no jib" more than "hey John, do you by chance have any CRACK? I need to calm down so I can sign this contract."

· Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pippenatorade said:
Nothing says "I have no jib" more than "hey John, do you by chance have any CRACK? I need to calm down so I can sign this contract."
It has already been proven that past drug offenses don't disqualify a player or a coach of obtaining jib ;)

· Registered
40 Posts
Rumor has it he was in negotiations to sign with the bulls however kemp insisted on having a ticket for each member of his family for each home game. However the bulls have already sold more than half the tickets to the remaining home games of the season and were unable to meet kemps demands.

· Registered
1,568 Posts
as far fetched as it sounds, i firmly believe that if paxson works kemp out, determines him to be in shape, i think kemp would be a big splash because he fills the need for a big (6'10 270) with scoring ability, shot blocking ability, and kemp's a battle tested veteran. if he's hungry, he'll fit in as the "go to guy" this forum (and a great majority beyond) clamors for, and the "jib" factor can once and for all be slit across the throat as the dumbest philosophical theory i've ever heard.

he won't cost anything; no core, no picks; pay him a mle amount for a couple to 3 yrs and still have room for a nene/harrington/gooden/wilcox choice AND the big to be determined in the draft. the only real drawback i could see is if kemp opts to look for a team on the cusp of a ring, which is his right. i could see mark cuban doing this, maybe pax not so much, but it'll take gonads of brass to attach himself to the prospect.

i don't know, but it's not that far fetched; and considering skiles is an indiana native as is kemp; there exists the possiblity that skiles may have some connection with kemp from kemp's high school days; hopefully positive.

stranger things have happened.

· Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,077 Posts
BULLHITTER said:
as far fetched as it sounds, i firmly believe that if paxson works kemp out, determines him to be in shape, i think kemp would be a big splash because he fills the need for a big (6'10 270) with scoring ability, shot blocking ability, and kemp's a battle tested veteran. if he's hungry, he'll fit in as the "go to guy" this forum (and a great majority beyond) clamors for, and the "jib" factor can once and for all be slit across the throat as the dumbest philosophical theory i've ever heard.

he won't cost anything; no core, no picks; pay him a mle amount for a couple to 3 yrs and still have room for a nene/harrington/gooden/wilcox choice AND the big to be determined in the draft. the only real drawback i could see is if kemp opts to look for a team on the cusp of a ring, which is his right. i could see mark cuban doing this, maybe pax not so much, but it'll take gonads of brass to attach himself to the prospect.

i don't know, but it's not that far fetched; and considering skiles is an indiana native as is kemp; there exists the possiblity that skiles may have some connection with kemp from kemp's high school days; hopefully positive.

stranger things have happened.
All good points, except that even if Kemp steps in and were to perform in a big way with the Bulls, he probably would still not be getting an MLE contract. He'd probably happily sign for just above the vet minimum in a 2-year deal.

· Registered
3,383 Posts
I reckon this would be a great idea, and I'd go as far as to say we should go further and bring in the following next year: Griffin, Davis, and Cheaney. Even if it just as 3rd string guys who are mainly just practice partners.

Offseason plan
Draft as follows:
Aldridge, O'Bryant or Thomas with the Knicks pick.
Carner, Roy or Brewer with our pick, use Sweetney and if need be, Duhon to make it happen.

Free agency
Reggie Evans and Nazr Mohammed.
The listed vets and the token signing of Kukoc, who should end his career at Chicago.

Hinrich, Duhon, Griffin
Gordon, Roy/Carney/Brewer, Cheaney
Deng, Nocioni, Kukoc
Chandler, Evans, Kemp
Aldridge/O'Bryant/Thomas, Mohammed, Davis

Say goodbye to Pargo, Pike, Harrington and Songalia.

· Registered
106 Posts
I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to bring in Kemp. No matter how much weight he has lost or how clean his agent tells you he is...his career is over.
I agree. I mean, seriously, when was he last in the league? I don't even remember.

Might as well bring him in with Rodman, Oakley, "Brokeback" AD, and... Hey! I guess Manute Bol's hockey career is over, and he's probably recovered from that car accident, let's give the big fella a call! :dead:

· Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,817 Posts
L.O.B said:
I am not sure the comparision to Thomas fits, Kemp appears to have something to prove, unlike Thomas who got sent home because he though he had nothing to prove. If Kemp is as motivated as he says he is, he would practice hard and work hard to play the game he loves.
I agree 100%

· Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,817 Posts
Pippenatorade said:
Shawn Kemp may be the one guy I know of that COULD challenge Eddie Robinson for the title of "I am 0 on the jib scale." Well, he and Kermit Washington.
I disagree. Kemp lost his way big time, but he was a hard working, energetic player in his prime. If he is really out to prove he is back to his good habits, he could come in and be the jibbiest guy out there.

I also disagree with your assessment of Kermit Washington. Kermit is remembered for a one second lapse of judgment. Granted, it was a HUGE lapse, but overall, Washington was a classy guy, a good player, and I understand a good teammate. Yes, breaking Rudy T's face was a blemish on his record, but he was not a goon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.