Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this board many players are killed for undermining their coach. Why not Kidd? With all the players who get criticized in the media and on message boards, Kidd has gotten a free pass. He is the grand hustler. Talking about the NY media making someone more than what they are...

Prior to coming to the Nets, Kidd hasn't done squat. Not in college, not in the pros. However, he has managed to sidestep the criticisms most players are killed with and people actually consider him one of the greatest PGs of all time :laugh:

1. He can't shoot...but somehow does not get near the criticism of Allen Iverson

2. He is an admitted wife beater....but does not get the 'thug' label nor did he get the attacks AI got for his alleged incident

3. He torpedoed his coach....but was not killed for it like Penny or like Kobe for his mythical steering to the Lakers

I am just curious how Kidd avoids the attacks?

Personally, I think he is pond scum and the Nets will spend more time in the lottery then the ECF during his 6 year/$105 million dollar deal.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Well, if the playoffs started today, they'd be #2 seed. I think they'll make the playoffs with ease for atleast 3-5 years. Especially since

You bring up good points though about his image. Seems pretty clean considering hes supposedly demanded his coach be fired and the whole wifebeating ordeal.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I just love how every player who lacks the good fortune of being acquired by a championship level team "has done squat".

IIRC, Kidd was the best player in college in his freshman season...

A wife-beater is someone who habitually uses abuse in a power relationship with their spouse. Granted, I find it reprehensible that a man would EVER strike a woman, I think there is a big difference between a single incident in a heated argument between two individuals, and a "I'm gonna teach you a lesson, b!tch!" beating scenario.

Byron Scott was not a good coach, and that is being charitable.

Kidd is an unselfish player, who does the little things and is not concerned about personal stats. His problem with the coach appears to reflect the team as a whole.

He HAS taken abuse on both his spousal situation and his criticism of Scott.

Maybe just not enough for a hater's liking. ;)

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Kidd beat his wife several times before she actually decided to call the cops.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So which players currently are killed for undermining their coach?
I try to read all the articles relating to scott's firing and most all writers actually criticize kidd for it. So he gets his share of hate.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>The Mad Viking</b>!
I just love how every player who lacks the good fortune of being acquired by a championship level team "has done squat".

A wife-beater is someone who habitually uses abuse in a power relationship with their spouse. Granted, I find it reprehensible that a man would EVER strike a woman, I think there is a big difference between a single incident in a heated argument between two individuals, and a "I'm gonna teach you a lesson, b!tch!" beating scenario.

Kidd is an unselfish player, who does the little things and is not concerned about personal stats. His problem with the coach appears to reflect the team as a whole.

Yep, it was a foregone conclusion that the Nets were so talent filled that everyone predicted they would make back to back NBA finals :rolleyes: Unless you are going to tell me that the Nets should have beaten the Lakers and the Spurs or better yet that another coach could made them NBA champions .

IMO the ulitimate act of selfishness is to undermine your coach to the detriment of the team.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
So Kidd plays well and the Nets lose and Kidd hasn't done squat.

And Scott coaches poorly, and the Nets lose, but it doesn't matter because they weren't supposed to win anyway...

Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Kidd didn't just get Scott fired, he has a hand in getting a coach fired every where he has played since college. If Kidd is such a winner why does his coach constantly get fired? The reason is Jason Kidd. Look it up at California, Dallas, Phoenix and now New Jersey the head coach has been fired with Kidd being the main reason. Right now they may say Kidd didn't have much to do with it, but remember during the summer when he basically said its either me or Scott. He later backed off that, but now Scott is gone. Kidd is a great player, but he isn't exactly the best person, I don't care how he seems in interviews, or how he was the 1 time you met him, his track record speaks for itself.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
I don't know what happened in the other places, but I can tell you that Byron Scott was not a good coach. He had very poor communication skills (he would go months without talking to certain players), he was not good at in-game adjustments, his game preparation has often come into question, and he was very stubborn about his rotation. A lot of the national media doesn't understand this, but there are a few local writers that do.

As a Nets fan, if I have to take a power-hungry star along with the 2 Eastern Conference titles, I'd take it every day, and twice on Sunday, no questions asked. It was Jason Kidd, and not Byron Scott, that turned this franchise around.

I will say that Byron was a class act, though. He took all the speculation and finally his dismissal with a lot of dignity.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Mad Viking</b>!

Very good post. Agreed 100%.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigAmare</b>!
Kidd beat his wife several times before she actually decided to call the cops.
Can we get a link on this Mr. Insider?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I've never liked Kidd, even when he was leading the Nets to the finals. I still don't like him. He is very deceptive and manipulative.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!

Can we get a link on this Mr. Insider?
It's nothing to do with being an insider. It was reported at the time of the incident that that wasn't the first time Kidd had struck her.

Finding the initial news reports of that incident, now, is difficult. Searches mostly turn up discussions about what Bob Ryan said and how Jason Kidd has "come back" from those dark days.

·
MANRAM!
18,056 Posts

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
As harsh as it sounds, I dont put a lot of my trust into what Joumanna Kidd says. Bob Ryan was part right when he said Joumanna Kidd just wants attention, though of course the 'someone should slap her' remark was a little inappropriate.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Good job, Peja, Kidd is not a great person, all Kidd fans try to sugar coat his actions. I don't have a link but today in one of the New Jersey papers they have an article on how he got 2 coaches in Dallas fired not just one, to go along with what happen every where else he has been. If you look at his track record Allen Iverson is a saint compared to him.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You can say anything you want about Kidd´s personality but that doesn´t change the fact that he has the highest basketball IQ on the planet. I never heard of him beating his wife, and I can´t imagine how a man could hurt his wife, regardless of whether it was a "once a lifetime issue". However, if it is true, that shows that that he has no character and is abigger thug than fortson...but still doesn´t change the fact that he is the best pg in the league. And the issue about Scott...well the problem is Kidd is, and was, the brain of the Nets, not Scott. That gives him a legit excuse for doing what he did.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kmasonbx</b>!
Good job, Peja, Kidd is not a great person, all Kidd fans try to sugar coat his actions. I don't have a link but today in one of the New Jersey papers they have an article on how he got 2 coaches in Dallas fired not just one, to go along with what happen every where else he has been. If you look at his track record Allen Iverson is a saint compared to him.
If any one person says that firing Scott was a bad move, theyre an idiot. Perhaps some of you couldnt realize it because you dont get to observe the Nets, but Scott may very well be the worst coach in the league. HE DOESNT DO ANYTHING. The only thing he does do is stick with horrible sub patterns.

Of course hitting your wife is a horrible, serious thing, but Im not guna paint J Kidd "pond scum" because of it. According to sources hes completely healed now and went through the classes that helped him with that.

To the original poster who said Kidd hadnt done squat in the NBA and in college, I cant help but thing youre getting up to the lower teenage years. You might wanna check yourself before you make such a completely ludicrous statement like that. Even a Kidd hater will tell you Kidd has been a great player in his basketball career.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
This thread isn't about Kidd as a player, this is about Kidd as a person, and he isn't a good person, simple as that.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
ha

Kidd certainly played well last night. Didn't you catch the Nets last night? a Pure show.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts